Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Thunder Ps4 help and tips

Options
  • 10-12-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Ok so i've downloaded this and its great controls are tricky and the start planes are a bit rubbish but its really addictive and could be a great game long term.
    The game itself seems quite tricky outside the flying section with research and various types of points you can spend(i hate spending hard earned points badly).
    anyone with any tips for noobs or just chat about the game please share your wisdom :)

Mods if this is in the wrong section please move

EDIT: this is what ive learned in my first 10 flights.... if they ask you to attack ground targets do that try not to get involved in dogfights more points for killing a sitting duck than some other guy trying to kill you,
    research the fastest way to get to attack planes ie these have bombs and rockets onboard easier for killing above ground units

I love this game!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Here's a decent video on how to upgrade your bombers. He's right, arcade battles don't reward bombers that much, but that's the way it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPdVBhLMavA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

cadete wrote: »

I love this game!!

By far the best thing about my PS4 ;)
    I've still got a day 1, Assassin's Creed IV unopened beside my TV.

Things I've learned so far........

I'm sure you've figured it out by now but you must complete enough upgrades to each plane before the next one on it's path is unlocked.

You earn lions (money) and Research points (RP) for each action preformed during the game.

In order to navigate the various menu screens you've got to use the touch pad on the DS4 (double tap to click) or hover the mouse pointer. over any icon for an explanation of what it does or a quick overview of the various planes.

A quick pull of the L2 button during a dog fight will automatically turn the plane to pursue the target.

The British have decent lower tier fighters but very poor bombers and no great fighter bombers bar the excellent beaufighter. The German's have a great combination of both but a lot of people swear by the Russian's.

You can basically find out everything you need to know about the game here http://forum.warthunder.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

I love this game too currently working my way up the German fighter tree just unlocked the bf109 f. Useing mainly fighters the best thing you can do is stay high and upgrade your crew so you can see threats from a good distance use gravity to gain loads of speed in a dive and dive on the tail of slower ground attack aircraft don't slow to try empty your guns on the target just fire a burst and use your speed to carry you back to hight and start again Oh and the second version of the he112 has 20mm cannon it flys like a bag of spuds but if you upgrade to the hi explosive incendiary rounds a few well placed rounds will take down nearly anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Be careful of L2, at low altitudes it's likely to send you right into the ground and at lot of the time you're better off without it.

Never dogfight with the British or Japanese and never go after a German or American fighter in a dive or after one.

Make sure you use your nations specific skill against every one especially the Russians, and always have the altitude advantage especially with the Americans or Germans.

At altitude you can pick you targets, and dive at speed to reach them.

pick your targets, don't bother with a bomber that you don't have the fire-power to take down and a fighter that's can follow if you do a BNZ hit and run attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

played a good bit of this on the weekend
    spend most of the game taking out ground forces for 1 xp
    feel like I'm in that episode of South Park where the guys spend months in the forest of lyrath killing wild boars
    *cuts to montage"
    you're the best THE BEST la la la la la la la

Also the last training mission where you have to land on the carrier. Don't think I've ever screamed F**K so loud!

• Advertisement

Finally have a tier 3 bomber. My God does it absolutely ruin bases.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Finally have a tier 3 bomber. My God does it absolutely ruin bases.

Heard that at tier 3 games can be ruined by the larger bombs, a airfield can be killed in 1 or 2 runs and games end really early. I've got a 2000/2600Kg loads on mine and it takes a few runs while alone but with a few 1000Kg bombs dropping it'd be over quick.

I ignored the bombers for a while and I've had to go back and play them, and won't be in tier 3 proper until I unlock a tier 3 bomber to go along with the 2 fighters I've already got.

I wonder is there any tougher games I can go into. What's the story with Historic Battles, are they available?

I wonder is there any tougher games I can go into. What's the story with Historic Battles, are they available?

They're meant to show up after you've done the tutorials but they're not in the PS4 version yet.

Considering that damaged aircraft need to be repaired in real time (many hours) or you've to pay a large amount to fix them I probably won't be playing in those. There are rumours that a new arcade more is coming, one with the full simulation but still having the same risk and rewards from arcade.

It'd take me 3 runs, sometimes 3 and a bit to take an airfield. If the opposition actually patrolled their air base when I was attacking it, like the guy on the speaker suggests, they could have me down in a minute. So I don't feel so bad.

Sometimes a guy whips over and demolishes me and I have to respect that :)

• Advertisement

It'd take me 3 runs, sometimes 3 and a bit to take an airfield. If the opposition actually patrolled their air base when I was attacking it, like the guy on the speaker suggests, they could have me down in a minute. So I don't feel so bad.

Sometimes a guy whips over and demolishes me and I have to respect that :)

I think every one has the same thought "that bomber is 5km up and someone else will get it".

I'm about to unlock a plane with 2 37mm cannons, the thing eats slow moving bombers, and as it spawns with them at high altitude at the start of the map i don't even have to climb to get them.

Some guy took my entire tail off yesterday. Bombers are easy targets with a good cannon, they should give extra points for shooting down a bomber who is killing a base. However they would work that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

How can you see what planes are available to buy, what youv unlocked ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I love this game. BF4 is sitting in the wrapper because i keep going back to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

How can you see what planes are available to buy, what youv unlocked ?.

If you go to modifications in the hanger you can see all the planes.

Had a weird and bad game, propeller broke off when landing for no reason (wasn't on the ground yet or nose first) and had a collision without touch the other guy.

With the exception of some seal clubbing near the end with a heavy fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

only started playing the game this evening but regularly crash. Controls seem a bit wrong but it looks like good fun.

Another game ended with a airfield gone, this time a single bomber at 7Km+ altitude, by the time I got that height the game was over.

Unless you head to that altitude at the start of the game and just wait around for the full game there's little you can do.
    aindriu80 wrote: »
    only started playing the game this evening but regularly crash. Controls seem a bit wrong but it looks like good fun.

Try inverting Y for the pitch, it might feel a bit better then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Yeah this is easily one of the best multiplayer games on the ps4 and will grow.
    It's basically IL-2 Sturmovik which was out for the ps3 2 years ago which was great fun but that obviously didn't appeal to enough gamers to keep multiplayer going.
    I enjoy taking out a bomber with German fighter it only has machine guns at the minute once I get the bf109 or a faukerwolf it will be entertaining.

For dog fights hurricane is the most useful for taking down bombers faulkerwolf.
    Bombers wise the b-17g.

New matchmaking system is coming out soon with the PS4 version of 1.37 ( we had a PS4 specific version of 1.36 that has a lot of the new features already), right now there are 5 tiers but soon each plane will also have a battle rank which is game type specific (a higher number in arcade compared to real) and these are used to match players as well as you past performance.

A very good tier II plane might be battle rank 2.8 or even 3, while a poor one might just be battle rank 2.

For me this means I'll be in with lower tier planes in arcade and higher tier in the others where the German fighters start to perform very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is there any way to change the controls for this on remote play. The touch pad is used to fire instead of the trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Ok really getting into this, still wish there was trophies alas there isnt, but playing Highway to the Dangerzone on repeat nearly makes up for it.
    My question is, is there any topgun type jets in this game, havent really looked through anything in detail yet mostly just using flying puns and calling my nephew Cougar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flora 86

hi who do you play as?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flora 86

who are we playing as,waiting for it to download,thought i could play while it was downloading but i guess i cant

Germany, Russia, America, Britain, and Japan.

There are also some planes for each side in the other countries, with the Germans getting some Italian planes. I personally play as Germany but Britain are a good choice at low levels and Russia is good overall.

New Battle ranks for planes make the matchmaking far better.

The tiers are now just about unlocking, while the battle rank of each plane controls the matchmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Phil_the_Dub

I have just started playing this game. I'm hooked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Anybody else finding it difficult to shoot down planes yet you get dropped real easy.

Using spitfire and hurricane at minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok really getting into this, still wish there was trophies alas there isnt, but playing Highway to the Dangerzone on repeat nearly makes up for it.
    My question is, is there any topgun type jets in this game, havent really looked through anything in detail yet mostly just using flying puns and calling my nephew Cougar :D

I may be mistaken but I think I saw an F-86 and MiG-15 for this game in some screen shots recently. The best pair of 1950s jets right there, not quite the beast that is or was the F-14 but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Phil_the_Dub

JamboMac wrote: »
    Anybody else finding it difficult to shoot down planes yet you get dropped real easy.

Using spitfire and hurricane at minute.

All you have to do is sneeze at me & I'm out of the sky :rolleyes:

Advertisement