Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title deeds to house

Options
  • 10-12-2013 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

My parents own two houses, neither of which have a mortgage. My father is the only person whose name is on both title deeds to both houses. We were wondering would this affect my mother in any way, should either my father die or if they were to separate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

anamara86 wrote: »
    My parents own two houses, neither of which have a mortgage. My father is the only person whose name is on both title deeds to both houses. We were wondering would this affect my mother in any way, should either my father die or if they were to separate?

Jointly owned property (joint tenants) passes by survivorship, outside the estate- if one person dies it goes to the other. If one spouse only owns the property it passes by will, or the rules of intestacy if no will, 2/3 spouse 1/3 children.

Advertisement