Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doggy going to fifth home :(

• 10-12-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My dog is a year and a half.. After living in her original home where she was born,a girl adopted her.. This girl everyday gave her to a friend of a friend obviously without doing any research because he is a disaster and gets a new dog every year, abandoning the old one if no one takes it...I was informed that he was leaving the dog for up to two days at a time alone in his house and I was heartbroken. She's absolutely gorgeous and tiny and such a sweet dog... I tried and tried to find her a home nearby, my mother and brother who live at the other end of the country had been looking for a dog and agreed to take her if I can bring her down at Christmas.. So in October I wrote to her owner and asked could I take her, he said yes without a second thought and asked me to take her that day... I have an apartment where dogs are banned but decided to smuggle her in because my heart was breaking thinking about her.. When I went to collect Here she was locked in a room with nothing to lie On but a concrete floor, no food or water surrounded by her own wee, skin and bone.. There's no way I can keep her, I work all the time and live alone with no garden... She's become so attached to me and cries cries when I leave, I spend every free minute her... I have to give her away at Christmas and I know my mother will be so good to her but will the poor little thing be ok being in her fifth home??? Or will she forget me and be happy that she's being cared for finally? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

That made my eyes water :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

She'll be fine, a bit of routine and a loving home will do wonders.
    And no she won't forget you, dogs are amazing at remembering people that are good to them.
    It will take time, maybe a good bit, but she's young and will settle. I've seen dogs from awful situations become great dogs once given the chance to thrive and some love.
    You are doing a wonderful thing for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

As Mymo said she will be fine.

I've seen foster dogs come in in brutal condition. So bad that they would require months in foster before being ready for rehoming.

Even though they would have had a strong bond with the one or even two foster families that would have nursed them back to health, they never fail to settle in their new home.

Well done OP for keeping an eye on this little one, one more safe for Christmas and no, she won't forget you. One little darling, in particular, still goes to leave with me when I visit her and she's over a year in her very happy home now :D And it's not because she's pining for me or anything, I just did an awful lot of her transport when she was in foster so usually when I showed up it meant we were going somewhere in the car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

SO well done for rescuing her OP. Done worry your head about her - once she settles into a happy safe loving routine with your family she will be absolutely fine. She will soon bond with her new family once she knows she is loved and safe. Dogs love their humans once the trust is built up - are you going to be able to be there for a little while when you bring her to her new home - the would really help with the transition & settling in. You can be her visiting auntie, and she will be thrilled to see you when you go visit.
    This definetely qualifies for a whole years worth of brownie points for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aisling2013

Thanks for your replies guys :) just as long as she won't be depressed moving house again.. Yes I'll be there in my home house with her for a week, leaving will be hard!! I have a big list for my mother of her likes/dislikes and routine and everything and I'll probably be plaguing them with phonecalls for the first few weeks after I leave haha :) thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aisling2013, I'd like to echo what everyone else has said... Dogs always remember kind people, and it sounds you're the first in a long time (ever?) to show her kindness.
    And boy oh boy, have you showed her kindness :-)
    Your mum should be proud of you! Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

you are a credit to yourself and your family

good things will follow for you if my wishes come true

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aisling2013

Aww stop guys :D anyone would have done The same if ye saw the situation :( this is her:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Aww stop guys :D anyone would have done The same if ye saw the situation :( this is her:

im disgusted that somebody couldn't love and care for that little mite jesus people can be so heartless

at least shes safe now and her life can begin again

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

So cute.u are a great person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Awwww, she's so cute!
    I hope you and your family have many happy years with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I can tell you first hand that not everyone would have done the same, thank goodness for people like you. She looks like an absolute sweetheart and you are giving her a wonderful life, good on you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dogs do remember the people they bond with, you'll get a fantastic welcome from her every time you visit your Mum.

When my parents' dogs were pups, I spent a lot of time playing with them for the first few months. Now every time I visit they go absolutely berzerk, more than with anyone else, even if I haven't been down in 2 months.

My Staffie likewise will go absolutely ape when she sees someone that was really nice to her, even if she's only met them once or twice before. And Staffies have a reputation for changing homes "easily".

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

What a blessing that you found her! She should settle. My parents' dog had a similar story to yours - someone on Boards found him wandering around Dublin, kept him in an apartment for two weeks before giving him to us to foster. We kept him for two months, and then gave him to my parents for a permanent home. It was hard for us to let him go, as he is so gorgeous and affectionate! But it has turned out absolutely fantastically for all of us. He is a wonderful pet for my parents, and settled in brilliantly with them. He still welcomes me hugely when I visit, but never wants to leave when I go to the car - a sure sign, I suppose, that he is extremely happy where he is. Your little pet will be the very same, given some time to settle and plenty of kindness if she is insecure. She will bring so much delight to your family!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Well, this thread is giving me life, as they say. What a wonderful life affirming cheering post to read, OP. Fair play to you. She's an absolutely gorgeous dog and I am beyond thrilled that she is going to get to a forever home after all this.

She won't forget you. They never forget those who have shown them kindness, just as they never forget the people who are less than nice to them or show them no interest. Case in point: I have a relative who visits every so often and he doesn't like dogs. No biggie, when he comes the dogs look up at him, sniff his shoes and then leave him alone. I have another relative who also visits every so often. She adores the dogs and vice versa. A few months ago, she came to stay after being away for nearly a year. She was no sooner in the door than she had three dogs sitting on her lap on the couch, delighted that she was back.

I expect you'll be getting much the same reaction when you return home over the years! Wishing all of you many happy and healthy years together.

Advertisement