Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting your money back issues

Options
  • 10-12-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I bought a DVD the other day and when I got home, I realised they had put the wrong edition of the same movie into the box. I had bought a more expensive version of the film. When I pointed out the error, they told me the proper DVD could not be found so I decided to go with the cheaper edition but asked for the difference back since I wasn't getting the proper more expensive one. In order to get my money back they told me I had to give them all my personal details, such as name, address and DOB and they needed to see my bank card as proof of ID. I did it in order to get my money but thinking about it after I feel that because the error was with them, did I really need to legally give over those details? I would love if anybody could let me know. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

door wrote: »
    I bought a DVD the other day and when I got home, I realised they had put the wrong edition of the same movie into the box. I had bought a more expensive version of the film. When I pointed out the error, they told me the proper DVD could not be found so I decided to go with the cheaper edition but asked for the difference back since I wasn't getting the proper more expensive one. In order to get my money back they told me I had to give them all my personal details, such as name, address and DOB and they needed to see my bank card as proof of ID. I did it in order to get my money but thinking about it after I feel that because the error was with them, did I really need to legally give over those details? I would love if anybody could let me know. Thank you.

It's not a legal requirement, but if it's a large store, or chain of stores, they do that to prevent fraud. It theoretically stops the staff from issuing fake refunds, or from the same person "finding" receipts and goods and returning things (possibly stolen).

A reasonable question to ask them is what are they going to do with that data, how and where will it be stored, and who'll have access to it. I'd give name and address for a refund, but I wouldn't give them DOB or let them look at my bank cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Thank you for your speedy response. Do you know if I can have my information officially removed from their system?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

door wrote: »
    Thank you for your speedy response. Do you know if I can have my information officially removed from their system?

Section 5 would seem to apply in this case:
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/RightsPlainEnglish.htm&CatID=16&m=r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Thoie wrote: »
    It's not a legal requirement, .

It is these days. Revenue insist that all retailers keep a record of all refunds and who the are made to. Usually a name, contact number and signature are enough especially if its a small value.
    Records have to be kept for 6 years.

Advertisement