Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting question

Options
  • 10-12-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

So at the start of January myself and two other people will be working in Santry for 8 months.
    After looking at places available to rent i noticed all of the properties in the Dublin 9 area will only rent if it's for a minimum of 12 months.
    So my first question is have there ever been any cases where a landlord will accept an 8 month or even 10 month lease when they originally asked for a 12 month lease?

My next question is that if we were to leave after 8 months would we just lose our deposit or would we be legally required to pay rent for the last 4 months.

Sorry if these questions seem silly or obvious but i have very little experience of renting and would greatly appreciate and advice you can offer me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

You can always ask if they will agree to a shorter lease. Where I am living at them moment was advertised as a year lease, but I wanted something shorter so I asked, and they agreed, to a six month lease. Depends on your luck really as to what the landlord is willing to accept and how much demand there is for the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

My next question is that if we were to leave after 8 months would we just lose our deposit or would we be legally required to pay rent for the last 4 months.

The latter, you can and probably will be pursued.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The latter, you can and probably will be pursued.

You wouldnt be required to pay for the last 4 months. You would be liable to pay any shortfall between your leaving and the time the landlord replaces you, which legally is something they cannot drag their heals in doing. In most cases the deposit would cover such a shortfall, and there may possibly be some of the deposit due to be returned.

djimi wrote: »
    You wouldnt be required to pay for the last 4 months. You would be liable to pay any shortfall between your leaving and the time the landlord replaces you, which legally is something they cannot drag their heals in doing. In most cases the deposit would cover such a shortfall, and there may possibly be some of the deposit due to be returned.

You'd be required to pay for the shortfall alright, but there is no guarantee how long that is. Its better to assume it will be the full 4 months and work back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You'd be required to pay for the shortfall alright, but there is no guarantee how long that is. Its better to assume it will be the full 4 months and work back from that.

There is no guarantees, but in a healthy rental market there is no way it would be anything like 4 months. In parts of Dublin at the moment it seems that most places could go in a week, let alone a month.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    There is no guarantees, but in a healthy rental market there is no way it would be anything like 4 months. In parts of Dublin at the moment it seems that most places could go in a week, let alone a month.

I agree, its worth pointing out though. Maybe the tenant wrecked the place and the remedial work takes ages :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Santry is near DCU.There should be student accommodation that would do 8 or 10 month leases in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Reassign your lease when you need to. You should have no problem given the rental market.

Advertisement