Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food advice

• 10-12-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Our puppy will just be turning 14 weeks and at the start we were giving him just dry nuts with some milk and then we moved onto the pedigree dry nuts with pedigree puppy wet food he did not like this at all but would eat it out of our hands.

So now we feeding him Cesar puppy wet food with the pedigree dry nuts and he loves it and licks his bowl clean the only thing is I have been reading a lot of things online that Cesar food isint the best.

Any advice on what food to give him would be great he a King Charles.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Crazychick,
    Pedigree (dry and tinned), and Cesar, and any of the supermarket dry and tinned food are utter, utter dung :o
    Those meaty chunks in the tinned stuff are reconstituted chunks of wheat. I think the meat content of most supermarket tinned food is about 4%... for a carnivore like the dog, this comes nowhere near cutting the mustard. The wheat/gluten content in these foods is also a major cause of intestinal problems, anal gland problems, allergies of the skin, ears, eyes etc.
    So, get your wee pup off all of this stuff... you want to go for food that's cereal free, or at least, if there is to be any cereal in it, make it rice. It's pretty benign compared to other cereals, although I'm afraid it's a bit overused as a filler in a lot of foods.
    If you want to go for a good quality, meaty, cereal-free wet food, it's hard to pass NatureDiet (plastic container), or Lukullus, Rocco or Rinti (tinned). You won't get these in supermarkets, but you will get great value on sites such as www.zooplus.ie.
    Dry food wise, the better ones which are also cereal free/rice only and relatively meaty are Barking Heads (you'll find this on www.zooplus.co.uk) and Taste of the Wild (which you'll get on the zooplue .ie and.co.uk sites), although Barking Heads is probably a bit friendlier for smaller pooches.
    Don't feed him milk... dogs are lactose intolerant and it will tend to give him an upset tummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Hi thanks for the advice I have just ordered nature diet from zooplus.ie hopefully now he likes it thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Just to chime in, my dog is doing great on Naturediet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

My puppy is doing great on Eden dry dog food no grain and high meat content

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/1531

I was going to buy royal canin but from the above review in the link attached I've changed my mind and will be buying Eden dog food in future! Link below

http://www.ireland.titanpetfoods.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement