Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding landlord insurance

Options
  • 10-12-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Quite a detailed hypothetical situation here!

Say a couple, a professional and another employed part-time, move into an apartment. The professional signs the lease and all is well for the first year. During this year, the part-time employee leaves his/her job to do a PhD.

Anyway, down the line, two neighbours share another apartment next door and one is moving out. The other tenant looks for a replacement and finds a postgraduate student and the landlord refuses. I want to assume this is due to landlord insurance and not "weeding out undesirables"...

So finally to the question! Since the professional signed the lease for the couple, should there be any issues for the first PhD student..?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I do not understand your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

khan13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Quite a detailed hypothetical situation here!

Say a couple, a professional and another employed part-time, move into an apartment. The professional signs the lease and all is well for the first year. During this year, the part-time employee leaves his/her job to do a PhD.
    This is one lease/agreement.
    Anyway, down the line, two neighbours share another apartment next door and one is moving out. The other tenant looks for a replacement and finds a postgraduate student and the landlord refuses. I want to assume this is due to landlord insurance and not "weeding out undesirables"...
    What has this got to do with the professional and PhD student?
    So finally to the question! Since the professional signed the lease for the couple, should there be any issues for the first PhD student..?

Thank you in advance!
    I presume this is referring to the original couple, once the landlord knows who is staying in the apartment and has accepted that there should be no problem and what the neighbours do or encounter should have no bearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What does the LL insurance cover? Is there cover for loss of rent if the tenant does not pay??

If there is cover, then cool runnings. Get extra references for the student, as well as proof of income and proof of rent/mortgage payments for their previous accomodation, then all should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 khan13

Thank you all for the replies!
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    What has this got to do with the professional and PhD student?

My apologies, it's unrelated but it brought the fact that the landlord doesn't accept students, to light.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    I presume this is referring to the original couple, once the landlord knows who is staying in the apartment and has accepted that there should be no problem and what the neighbours do or encounter should have no bearing.

That's great but the issue is that the landlord doesn't know the PhD student has returned to college. So since the student's situation has changed after the lease was signed (by his partner) is there any potential complications there?

Not sure about the landlord insurance and what it covers though but the tenants have stable income through a PhD scholarship.

Thank you all again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's great but the issue is that the landlord doesn't know the PhD student has returned to college. So since the student's situation has changed after the lease was signed (by his partner) is there any potential complications there?

As long as the rent is being paid, then I can't see a problem. Were credit checks carried out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

What does the LL insurance cover? Is there cover for loss of rent if the tenant does not pay??.

No it only covers landlord contents and public liability

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

your question is as clear as mud. All I can say is some insurance policies are invalid if a student is in the property so if the question is to confirm if what the LL is saying is plausible then yes it is plausible and as such he / she would be within their rights to refuse to allow this person live in the property.

Does that have an implication to the PHD student that is already living there ? Potentially as this person is not on the lease and as such wouldn't have the full level of protections that a leaseholder would.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

D3PO wrote: »
    All I can say is some insurance policies are invalid if a student is in the property

However it would be a very foolish landlord who has an insurance policy like this but does not tell tenants up-front that they are not allowed to become a student during the course of the tenancy, because if they do then the landlord's insurance becomes invalid.

Actually, I'm not even sure that such a clause would be legal: "You've started a qualification" is hardly a reasonable reason for evicting someone - especially if they're only a part-time student.

TBH, I'd say it's more likely to be about weeding out undesirables than an insurance thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

What has the landlord insurance got to do with the status of a tenant?

I don't disagree with you just putting some information out there for the OP as honestly they haven't been very clear in their post.

There was a thread a while ago whereby the OP became a student and the discussion was weather the LL had any right to look to end the tenancy as a result of it conflicting with their insurance policy.

Obviously nobody had a definitive answer but the general consensus was that that was the LL's problem and not the tenants.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with you just putting some information out there for the OP as honestly they haven't been very clear in their post.

There was a thread a while ago whereby the OP became a student and the discussion was weather the LL had any right to look to end the tenancy as a result of it conflicting with their insurance policy.

Obviously nobody had a definitive answer but the general consensus was that that was the LL's problem and not the tenants.

Jesus if that is the case I'd say half the landlords round the country are in trouble with potentially invalid policies, as professionals are losing jobs and returning to education.

not all policies would have a clause like that only some of them.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the question was essentially should there be any issue with the fact that the tenant is now a student?

If so and it were down to LL insurance, could there be an issue there since the student's name is no where on the lease?

not all policies would have a clause like that only some of them.

I know but it's a ridiculous and dangerous clause as the landlord has no control over it. All policies work on the basis that you must disclose any and all changes that may impact your policy but the landlord may never know that the situation has changed if the rent is paid on time and he doesn't have to be in constant contact with tenants.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but the question was essentially should there be any issue with the fact that the tenant is now a student?

If so and it were down to LL insurance, could there be an issue there since the student's name is no where on the lease?

Have you asked the landlord if it's a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Sorry if I misunderstand the question here, but this may help,
    My friend could not renew her LL insurance with her usual company as the new tenants are unemployed! So I guess there could also be issues for students, (depending on the company and T&C)

They haven't talked to the landlord yet, just trying a gauge the situation before saying anything!

I see... Not really a great situation so...

Thank you all for your help!

Advertisement