Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo removal by excision?!

Options
  • 11-12-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm just wondering has anyone out there had a tattoo removed by excision (cutting it out and getting the area stitched back up). I have a very small tattoo behind my ear and i think excision is the best option. I know two girls who got laser done and it took ages and didn't work, only faded them slightly.

if anyone has any info or pictures that would help me out!. i know i will be left with a scar but just want to get an idea how it will turn out, prices, where I could get it done etc. I know there is a cosmetic surgery in kildare that do it but just thought i'd get some views here too!

and yes i know i shouldn't have got it done in the first place....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

I'd imagine the scarring would be worse than the tattoo could be?

Speaking as someone who hates his half sleeve so sorry if you've heard this before - is a cover up an option? I'm against laser too, but if it's very small and behind your ear, you could have some cool options. Unless you need it gone for work purposes or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gracek112

No cover up just wont do. Its for an air hostess job. Iv read about girls getting fired for not telling the airline company about their tattoos during the interview process but subsequently getting caught with them when they had their medicals! Plus it takes a long time to cover with make up which doesnt turn out great. I wouldn't be looking into excision before checking all my other options!
    I wouldn't mind a scar to be honest...but im only presuming it wouldn't be that big and i no nothing about this!

Have you ever seen first hand a good job done of laser removal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

gracek112 wrote: »
    No cover up just wont do. Its for an air hostess job. Iv read about girls getting fired for not telling the airline company about their tattoos during the interview process but subsequently getting caught with them when they had their medicals! Plus it takes a long time to cover with make up which doesnt turn out great. I wouldn't be looking into excision before checking all my other options!
    I wouldn't mind a scar to be honest...but im only presuming it wouldn't be that big and i no nothing about this!

Have you ever seen first hand a good job done of laser removal?

What colour is the the tattoo. A few sessions would get rid of something small but would take a few months. I wouldn't go scarring myself for the likes of ryanair!

Its just two small black music notes! Have you had laser done? No not ryanair haha. Its for Emirates, which i would definitely scar myself for!

And to be honest id rather a scar than a faded tattoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am in the process of getting laser removal sessions done. Have had 8 sessions already and it has noticeably faded a lot. Might need about another 3. It takes time and patience oh and at €50 yo yos a session is not cheap. You need to space the sessions about 8 weeks apart

And to be honest id rather a scar than a faded tattoo!

yeah ok thats fair enough. Ive had four sessions done, need another id say.

mine is thick black writing. I think you've to wait like 2 or 3 weeks between sessions. I've no knowledge of the incision thing to be honest.

Because yours is small it might take less time.

Hungry hippo 4- how much does each session cost for you?

I suppose laser is worth looking into a bit more. Im just very impatient (probably the reason i have this tattoo in the first place!) And iv never seen a finish product of laser 1st hand!

Thanks

I suppose laser is worth looking into a bit more. Im just very impatient (probably the reason i have this tattoo in the first place!) And iv never seen a finish product of laser 1st hand!

Thanks

Thanks

I pay 40 in Dublin Ink.

Ive never seen a finished product either. personally, ill just be putting something over it. Im the same, I don't know what I was thinking when getting some tattoos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 twirlyswirly

Hi there,

I had laser treatments to remove my tattoo on my shoulder a few years ago it was about 3x3 inches with black, brown, purple, red and yellow in it.

It honestly took me two years of going to get treatments done on it and I also had 2 x treatments in a tattoo place where they use the tattoo machine to put this product into the skin as the laser was such a slow process.
    This treatment gave the fastest results as after just 2 times the tattoo was gone but it was only in little circles dotted on the tattoo as this was how they did the treatment.

I then returned to the laser to finish of what was left around the dots and the reason I went back to the laser was that the other treatment left me scarred :(

So a couple more sessions and it was gone but left in its place was blister like scars :( I paid I would guess about €1k between laser treatments, the tattoo treatments and creams it was painful also after each treatment.

I also had to have some tca peels to help flatten the raised lumpy scars.

I think the product was called rejuvi?? I got it done in that tattoo place in temple bar and I got the laser in The laser centre on Hume street.

It was a long time ago and I am glad the tattoo is gone now even though I have a scar....I wish I had of just kept going to the laser centre and not bothered with the rejuvi.

To answer your question I have never had excision but I did go to clane hospital and meet with a plastic surgeon to ask about this and he said no way it would leave a huge scar so I didnt go with it as the cost was also huge at the time.....now your area might be different its a €100 for a consultation though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Most people would have quite tight skin behind their ears.
    Removal is not as simple as merely cutting out the tattooed area and stitching up.
    It would leave a jagged scar(possibly?) and as it is not essential surgery,you'd be looking at a Cosmetic Surgeon doing it,so expensive,I'd imagine.

But probably doable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Excision = scar, bad scar at that
    Lazer = no scar

Both are quite painful, in different ways, lazer you will need to go back and have a few sessions, excision, is more intense but only for one session.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Karlitto wrote: »
    Lazer = no scar

Not necessarily. There have been plenty people left with scarring from lazer removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Not necessarily. There have been plenty people left with scarring from lazer removal.

Oh, didn't know that, is there any particular reason? I mean, bad technique, poor equipment, or just some peoples skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Could be any combination of the above really. Some people get away with no scarring at all, but I'd say at least half end up with some scarring from it, even if it's only light scarring.

Advertisement