Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping Forum Access

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I understand your position but if you wanted it private then surely requesting a hosted forum would have been easier and would have happened sooner?

On a lighter note, I hope Ber doesn't see this, look what happened the sekrit surfers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Great to see the Forum up and running.

I won't go anywhere near it while it remains public though.

My knowledge is for regulated consumption, not general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Great to see the Forum up and running.

I won't go anywhere near it while it remains public though.

My knowledge is for regulated consumption, not general.

Well if your location in your sig is a hint i wouldnt worry to much :D

I agree with OP ... i know a few nice sites ... Not willing to share that on an open forum for the concerns highlighted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Im happy to see it up and running too but also would not be contributig to the forum if it is public. I dont want places i know and use (not often enough ill add) to be destroyed like so many places in wicklow.

Last camping trip i took with the kids was glenmalure because we can camp close to the car with all the small kids, up the hill from us was a huge bonfire and group of about 15 drunk and roudy kids, bot to mention all the broken bottles and rubbish we cleared before setting up camp ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The difference between this and the surfers is that campers would have no problem sharing - we just wouldn't want it spoiled by dicks. Whereas the surfers were just dicks.

+1 for private btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I am asking to have this issue reconsidered, so that the forum could be a private forum, where information could be traded with a certain degree of confidence, in the knowledge that said information would not be published on the internet in general.

"A certain degree" should be zero. This isn't a comment against a private forum but if you think a private forum that allows any strangers in is remotely secure then you're being far too naive.

Share confidential information with people you trust over PM. Leave the forum for more general discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

nesf wrote: »
    "A certain degree" should be zero. This isn't a comment against a private forum but if you think a private forum that allows any strangers in is remotely secure then you're being far too naive.

Share confidential information with people you trust over PM. Leave the forum for more general discussion.

I agree with nesf; if it's going to be private there is no way to be sure that you're going to be sharing information with someone who won't respect the information. No matter how much "vetting" your going to do with someone.

As it stands it's a small sub-forum of a small sub-forum. It's not going to attract much attention as it is. If I really wanted to find locations to wreck, a quick google gives me plenty of spots and a few facebook groups too. It's pointless.

Nothing stopping you from sharing techniques; shelters, bivvies, equipment and even general locations if you so feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Steve wrote: »
    I understand your position but if you wanted it private then surely requesting a hosted forum would have been easier and would have happened sooner?
    The point about a hosted forum had crossed my mind, but I had not considered it further, as I had hoped that a private forum would be possible. If I understand correctly, this would involve somebody such as me hosting a forum somewhere and having that forum linked to boards.ie. If that's the way that it works, I doubt that this is a responsibility that I want for myself.

Previously, I had supposed that a private wild camping forum would either be approved or not. It had not even occurred to me that a public forum would be approved.

As to comments concerning confidentiality of traded information in a private forum, it's not a case of what is foolproof or what can be absolutely watertight, but rather a case of what would be acceptable to people who might support such a forum.

I think that a public forum is not acceptable to most of those who supported the forum request, but that a private forum would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

A hosted forum would be hosted by boards. It just runs under the category of Hosted and has a Hmod.

Folks, with respects a private forum granted is in no way a way of protecting spots kept private, I grant you that.

It will however not show up on your Google searches nor will it be as easily accessible for somebody just looking for digs passing in the night.

It would add a bit more security for people disclosing areas of interest.

A hosted forum would be hosted by boards. It just runs under the category of Hosted and has a Hmod.

Folks, with respects a private forum granted is in no way a way of protecting spots kept private, I grant you that.

It will however not show up on your Google searches nor will it be as easily accessible for somebody just looking for digs passing in the night.

It would add a bit more security for people disclosing areas of interest.

What he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

FWIW, I think private is the way to go here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If you don't mind me asking, How can a guy who has 7 posts in the last six months be made mod of the forum?. Seems a bit silly. Oh and I'm for a private forum. I'd like to get into wild camping but no one is going to impart their knowledge on a public forum as mentioned above by shiny christmas mugs.

I reckon that there was a presumption that the new forum wouldn't have heavy traffic and that the existing Outdoor Pursuits mods could handle it, the new forum being a sub forum of Outdoor Pursuits.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ken wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, How can a guy who has 7 posts in the last six months be made mod of the forum?. Seems a bit silly.
    All mods of a "parent" forum automatically become mods of the sub-forum - we have no control over that, but will be looking to bring in some "new blood" for the Wild Camping sub-forum

At this stage I would suggest any mod issues should be discussed with the other mod, Sauve, who is active on the site, or one of the CMods

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Beasty wrote: »
    At this stage I would suggest any mod issues should be discussed with the other mod, Sauve, who is active on the site, or one of the CMods

Yup, what Beasty said.
    Any problems with modding, just come to me with them and we'll see if it can be sorted out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just so you know, the form this forum is to take is being discussed by the admins at the moment.

Thanks for your input and your patience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Dades wrote: »
    Just so you know, the form this forum is to take is being discussed by the admins at the moment.

Thanks for your input and your patience. :)

I read that about six times before my brain could figure it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

ok so does anyone know of a good spot in louth area.
    might just test out all my new gear.( thats a might though)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ok so does anyone know of a good spot in louth area.
    might just test out all my new gear.( thats a might though)

nope but you could ask here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1619

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

that just sends me back to the same page:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

that just sends me back to the same page:confused:
    That's the Wild Camping Forum, which is where your question is best suited. This thread is simply discussing whether that forum should be a public one (as it currently is) or a private one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The biggest issue with this to me is that the request made was for a private forum, and the forum was then created as a public one. There was discussion in the request thread of whether a private forum was a good idea, in which a large number of supporters chimed in in favour of it as a private forum.

Where I'm going is either one of two things - either the admins ignored the fact that privateness was requested - in which case a huge number of the votes that allowed it to be considered were invalid as they were conditional votes, and a lot of who voted for might have voted against as they felt it would be pointless - or they rejected the request and then created a similar but unrequested forum.

What I would have been much happier with is if the admins had come back and said 'We're not happy with the idea of a private forum for this. Would people be willing to support a public forum?'. Then taken a 6 week period and counted votes for that forum request.

Where we stand now is that a forum has been created that there may not actually be a market for, and that's not a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

the admins didnt ignore anyone.

we read the arguments for and against, we discussed it amongst ourselves because, you know, we're all adminny and stuff and the final decision is ours and our responsibility.

we were deadlocked in our opinion. Cmods were consulted but their main focus was on where the forum should be located (and thats ok, we didnt specifically ask them to discuss the privacy issue).

other stuff popped up to be dealt with, wild camping got pushed to one side, eventually a call was made and it was for the lesser of two evils and an open forum was created with the understanding that:

a. if there is a community then surely it can exist in the open and doesnt *have* to be hidden
    b. a private wild camping forum can *only* be found by accident or by those that are told about it by another member. Look at the private forums that are there now, when a thread pops up with a "I cant access forum X" the private forum gets a surge in applications for access...why? because no-one knows its there until someone stumbles across it, tries to access it and then draws attention to it.
    c. if the private forum is wanted to post personal details / secrets / arrange illegal things such as trespassing then dont. just dont. And if you do and something bad happens, then its on you for posting something better kept private on a public notice board where it can be read by people you cannot trust 100% (anyone who argues against that, please post your bank details and trust that no-one reading the internet will abuse it - no, thats not an invitation for people to post their bank details. dont post your bank details.) my point is, if its private then PM it to someone you trust. If its fit for public consumption, then post it to a forum.

Build a community first then we'll cater to any privacy requirements. Refuse to use it on the grounds that its not exactly what was requested, fine, we'll mothball it after 6 months on the basis that in reality the demand just isnt there for it.

honestly, its not any kind of nose thumbing or snub at anyone its just a forum. Use it or dont. if it needs to evolve to accommodate the users then it will when it needs to do so.

Advertisement