Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours barking dog

• 11-12-2013 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Advice needed

My neighbours daughter moved in with her a year ago, she brought her red setter and jack Russell, my neighbour already has a mixed breed dog a small one that had never been any trouble, from the day they moved in the dogs haven't stopped barking.. All day and in the beginning all night about a week into her moving in, I met the daughter in the garden and politely asked if she could do something about the dogs barking,

I had a ten month old at the time and it woke him every night, several times a night and during the day when he napped.. I was told they would only be there 6 months and she would do something about it... She didn't it continued for a few weeks of Constant barking during the day and late into the night ie 12.30am Waking the baby and was so bad on some occasion I would have to leave the house, we even had to abandon our sitting room to be able to watch tv and move into our converted garage..

I honestly had enough so I rang her this time and apologised for ringing but wondered if there was anything she could do maybe take them in at night she said she had been every night, yes at 12.30 but we couldn't watch tv or get the baby to sleep,, she hung up.. That was months ago now we have really had an absolute nightmare of a year every single night our son is woken by the dogs mostly the red setter, it's impossible to get him asleep as they bark or if they don't they eventually do..

They start like clock work 8:30 in the morning all day long until midnight.. We can't relax in our home anymore with the constant barking, we can no longer sit in the other room as it's too cold in the winter my son is now 22 months old and he still gets woken it's been an absolute nightmare..

The red setter is never ever walked and I fact hasn't left the back garden since, the jack Russell is let out at night to run round our estate and on a number of times(more then 5) has poohed on our doorstep we caught him in the process of doing this!!

I have reported it to the dog warden but never heard anything back.. We're not in a position to move house we've been here 10yrs and loved our home but can no longer stand it..

Is there anything we can do, I'm afraid to approach her again incase she stops taking them in at night..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What a nightmare!
    Is it your neighbour herself, or the daughter you've spoken with?

You can make a complaint about nuisance barking, here's a link that tells you how to go about it (scroll down to the pertinent bit):
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html

You're meant to try the civil, approach-neighbour-first tactic when going this legal route, but you have already and it resolved nothing.
    I'd also start keeping a diary, fill in every day the times and durations of barking, and try to get a recording of it. It will seriously strengthen your case if you've collected evidence and prepared contemporaneous notes.

Another avenue is to talk to other neighbours, who must surely be affected by the noise too (assuming you have other neighbours?), and either go through the resident's committee or as an organised group to the owners, or write to them as a group, to ask that they take appropriate action.

Best of luck op,it sounds like a right nuisance.

Advertisement