Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizard found outside tonight

• 11-12-2013 2:03am
    Subscribers Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Found this guy right outside our house just minutes ago. He's about an inch to an inch and a half long. Didn't really mind getting his pic taken.

Didn't think we even had lizards in Ireland until a quick google.

oua4.jpg

Is this just the common lizard (Viviparous)... all I could find on wiki/google. I'm guessing he's young? He looks like he's not developed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

We have lizards all right, but that looks more like a gecko to me than our native guys

4973916_orig.jpg
    Pic of a mossy gecko, looks a bit like one to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Looks like a smooth newt to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 691 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

His skin was silky, unlike the picture of the gecko Rommie. Maybe a newt? Hard to get a better photo of him in the dark, didn't want to disturb him too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Looks like a smooth newt to me.

It's a newt alright! Not a lizard, op.

• Advertisement

Geckos have quite silky skin actually, especially mossies, it looks rough but is quite soft. Highly unlikely it would be a gecko unless someone lost a pet. Was it anywhere near water? Poor bugger must have forgotten to hibernate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

baby komodo dragon - watch it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rommie wrote: »
    Was it anywhere near water? Poor bugger must have forgotten to hibernate

Newts can spend a lot of time out of water, only really needing it for breeding.
    The unseasonably mild weather we're having this winter so far has caused a lot of normal natural rhythms to go out of kilter. Everything's delayed because there hasn't been a really cold snap yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 691 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Rommie wrote: »
    Geckos have quite silky skin actually, especially mossies, it looks rough but is quite soft. Highly unlikely it would be a gecko unless someone lost a pet. Was it anywhere near water? Poor bugger must have forgotten to hibernate

Nowhere near water no. That wall is mossy and attracts woodlice and slugs on warm nights so he was probably having a field day (or night).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Not a clue myself but the Nature forum might help you aswell if you get no info here ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement