Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briolla brealla

• 11-12-2013 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have just come across the statement: "...gur mugadh magadh, briolla brealla nó bréaga a bheas i gceist"

From what I understand, 'Mugadh magadh' means 'farce'. However, I couldn't find a direct translation of 'mugadh' anywhere. Is it some variation of 'magadh'?

Furthermore, I've found no translation, whatsoever, for 'briolla brealla'. The best guess I had was something along the lines of - 'to be mistaken'...?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Odolwa wrote: »
    I have just come across the statement: "...gur mugadh magadh, briolla brealla nó bréaga a bheas i gceist"

From what I understand, 'Mugadh magadh' means 'farce'. However, I couldn't find a direct translation of 'mugadh' anywhere. Is it some variation of 'magadh'?

Furthermore, I've found no translation, whatsoever, for 'briolla brealla'. The best guess I had was something along the lines of - 'to be mistaken'...?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Great line it was too and from the mouth of the outgoing Coimisinéir Teanga I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Odolwa

Thanks for the assist.

Advertisement