Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV WD elements showing invalid vid file.

Options
  • 11-12-2013 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

A 3tb Western Digital elements external hard drive.

I formatted to 2 separate partitions as LG tv would not recognize 3tb.

Note - Was working fine, LG TV was playing loaded vid files on the WD in a variety of formats, avi mkv etc, and it still does play vid files loaded before recent issue!

Issue being that the TV is now showing any new loaded vid file as invalid file and will not play. If any of the new (showing invalid) files are chosen to play, the TV Appears to get caught in a loop trying flashing to start but nothing else.

These files are not corrupt, and will play direct from WD on the pc. Will play when on LG tv when loaded on another screenplayer,.
    Files will play on laptop even when loaded back from WD drive.
    Tried loading files to WD from another laptop, same issue!
    Tried reformatting vids into new MKV or new avi, and loading those but same issue.

Anyone know what could be the possible cause, or better the solution to get the tv to recognize again.
    Apart from the obvious reformatting of WD.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ODriscoll wrote: »
    A 3tb Western Digital elements external hard drive.

I formatted to 2 separate partitions as LG tv would not recognize 3tb.

Note - Was working fine, LG TV was playing loaded vid files on the WD in a variety of formats, avi mkv etc, and it still does play vid files loaded before recent issue!

Issue being that the TV is now showing any new loaded vid file as invalid file and will not play. If any of the new (showing invalid) files are chosen to play, the TV Appears to get caught in a loop trying flashing to start but nothing else.

These files are not corrupt, and will play direct from WD on the pc. Will play when on LG tv when loaded on another screenplayer,.
    Files will play on laptop even when loaded back from WD drive.
    Tried loading files to WD from another laptop, same issue!
    Tried reformatting vids into new MKV or new avi, and loading those but same issue.

Anyone know what could be the possible cause, or better the solution to get the tv to recognize again.
    Apart from the obvious reformatting of WD.
    I would check to see if the TV has a firmware update available and flashing it. Could be a fix as simple as that.
    As you said 3TB GPT drives can cause confusion in devices and even though it did work this could be related to your issue, particularly as ones you previously copies over work fine. I reckon the TV just doesn't like the large capacity drive myself, even with partitioning for compatibility you may still have issues using them on unsupported devices.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I have an Lg that updated firmware 2 nights ago, maybe related, I regularly play vid files from several HDD types.

It wont play mkv over wifi (invalid vid reported ) but will play them when usb attached. I get the same issue with many larger files.

Must try some vids tonight to see did the firmware do something, one of there firmware updates screwed up earlier in the year and for a day or so was getting some funky messages on screen. They released a fix quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

the LG is up to date firmware wise, and I did wonder if a update was a a cause.
    But it plays the same files on a usb stick!

So I presumed it must be something to do with the connection between the WD & LG.
    Weird one this, because like I said it was working fine and the LG still plays older vid files loaded onto the same WD drive.
    Just lost as to what is causing the file conflict now

Did you contact LG support?

How much data is on the drive?

Look for any hidden config files on your HDD that the LG may be using to store its own data (thumbnails and resume points etc), delete it if you find any.

Try a simple unplug to see if you can purge the TVs ram. A step up would be a factory reset of the TV, which may or may not be drastic depending on whether you have channels tuned and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

I cant see right now how the issue is LG.
    The newer invalid files on the WD drive, can be loaded direct drag and drop to a flash drive (via pc) and the LG TV will play them!

But some interesting ideas that may hold the answer.
    Did try the plug out, but no different.
    Looked at the hidden files on WD drive, all it showed was a System Volume Information with a single tracker.log
    deleted it, but a new one was created auto, so deleted the random info on it and new .log is blank.
    But issue remains.

I have no real problem doing a format, but considering this may happen again, it makes sense to try and work it out before too much is loaded.

Appreciate any other ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

This happened me once on a Nas drive ie any new films I added were unable to play.

I found that the very last film (before I added new ones) was corrupt and the drive stopped building an index at this point. So I just deleated the last film, added new ones and all was OK
    Dont know if this is any help.

Advertisement