Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to adopt a dog, but want a low shedding dog

• 11-12-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

We're looking to adopt a dog, but we need a non-shedding one - we have four kids, from 3 to 10, and one has asthma.

So, we're looking for a schnauzer/poodle/bichon/terrier mix.

But if we get a long-haired dog and brush regularly, is it easy enoughto keep hair about the place to a minimum?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It's the dander/dead skin that people are allergic to. I have 2 golden retrievers that I brush down once or twice a week and have asthma and allergies and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

Thanks for that. Very informative. My wife wants to know if brushing twice a week keeps the hair off the carpet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

To be honest, if you have any furry animal, big or small, theres gonna be hair around the house. Its just one of those things. Obviously keeping them well groomed will help, but theres still gonna be hair around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

For removing hair from carpet the best for me is the dirt devil turbo brush you can get it in zooplus.de (it's cheaper than the irish website).
    Best 25 euros I have ever spent!

To be honest, if you have any furry animal, big or small, theres gonna be hair around the house. Its just one of those things. Obviously keeping them well groomed will help, but theres still gonna be hair around the place.

+1 you'll still have hair, foot prints, drool, the odd puke and if you get a puppy wee and poo as well. We have wooden floors so easy to keep the hair bunnies at bay :p

• Advertisement

Yes, I know. I had a dog before the kids, and have cleaned up both dog and kid wee in my day. Not phased by that. Anyhow, I just got news of a one year old schnauzer cross looking to be re-homed. "Psyched!" :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, I know. I had a dog before the kids, and have cleaned up both dog and kid wee in my day. Not phased by that. Anyhow, I just got news of a one year old schnauzer cross looking to be re-homed. "Psyched!" :-)

Do you know much on the back ground of the dog and why its being rehomed?

Where did you hear about the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Quite happy about the bona fides of the current dog owner, thank, Andreac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

andreac wrote: »
    Do you know much on the back ground of the dog and why its being rehomed?

Where did you hear about the dog?

I would agree with this, I know you said you're happy with the background of the dog and that's great but I would always be concerned if it's a private rehoming if you're actually getting the real reasons, mainly in your case if it's been around kids, is okay and used to kids etc etc, that would be my main concern in your situation but if you're satisfied that's all ok then great.

• Advertisement

Quite happy about the bona fides of the current dog owner, thank, Andreac.

See if they'll hold on to the dog until after Christmas. Christmas and re-homing are stressful enough on their own let alone combining them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I see you are looking for advise on a non shedding dog, are you sure you dont want to be lectured on how to correctly adopt a dog and what a big responsibility it is and how you are a bad person if you dont follow all the advice?

Just brush the dog a couple times a week, as one poster already mentioned its the dander that kicks it off.

You can get a robot hoover if you want to keep the place very clean :)

I see you are looking for advise on a non shedding dog, are you sure you dont want to be lectured on how to correctly adopt a dog and what a big responsibility it is and how you are a bad person if you dont follow all the advice?

Just brush the dog a couple times a week, as one poster already mentioned its the dander that kicks it off.

You can get a robot hoover if you want to keep the place very clean :)

Well since you're being smart stress will cause an animal to shed fur and lots of it. I always take an inhaler to the vets for that reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you a problem with a post, runawaybishop? If so, please report it, rather than trying to take matters into your own hands, as per the forum charter.
    Do not respond to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I find a good diet and regular brushing brings my dogs shedding down to almost zero!

A good diet means a strong healthy coat so hairs dont fall out so easily.

A good brush every other day outside will get rid of any loose dead hair.

Just keep in mind that a low shedding dog usually comes with high level grooming.

A low/ non -shedder may have to be professionally groomed every 6-8 weeks so make sure you have allowed for it in your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I know the idea is coming right out of left field, but it's true about greyhounds being low-shedders. They are an incredibly easy dog to keep, and very clean. They are also big aul' softies, great with kids and need less exercise than most breeds! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I have a "non-shed" dog, a maltese. Very very high maintenance grooming, but in my opinion well worth it to not have the shedding and dog smell. My other dog does shed, but I find with regular brushing, and bathed every 6-8 weeks(as opposed to every week with the other dog), it keeps shedding to a minimum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I am limited to having a low shed dog. I have terrible allergies and without a doubt is is dog hair about the house that would cause the problem for me if I didnt have a low shed dog.

Our wheaten requires daily brushing and regular grooming but for me it is worth it. He doesnt shed anywhere near as much as say a lab. But as for the protecting of the house :rolleyes: that goes out the door when you have a dog as my scratched floors and muddy bottom stair step can atest to. Wouldnt have it any other way though :D

If the OP is hoping a low shed dog will be cleaning that is not the case but they are so much more bearable for people with allergies and asthma.

Advertisement