Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with the runs

• 11-12-2013 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

My Lab has had the runs for about 36 hours now. She must have eaten something that does not agree with her but I would have thought the runs would have stopped by now. I am not overly concerned because:

1) She is bouncing around looking for walks as normal
    2) Her appetite is the same, no issues eating
    3) Drinking normally
    4) No blood
    5) No mucus

She is behaving as she normally would except for the runs. Yesterday evening 6:30pm, I took her off her normal food and removed water from her. She fasted until this morning at 9am. This morning I started her on boiled rice only and a small amount of water to try and harden her stool.

Is there anything else I can do to try a settle her stomach and gut? If I dont see an improvement in the next 24 hours I will take her to the vet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please dont remove water from her. She needs access to water at all times. That is actually very dangerous.

Best thing to do is just put her on a diet of boiled rice and chicken for a few days. If there is no improvement then def a trip to the vets is in order.

But please do not remove her water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I have not removed water from her. I only took this from her last night. She has fresh water with her at all times. The purpose of removing it from her last night was to give her system and bowels a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

logik wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have been clearer, I have not removed water from her. I only took this from her last night. She has fresh water with her at all times. The purpose of removing it from her last night was to give her system and bowels a rest.

But water would not have an affect on her bowels in a bad way. Its just not something that should be done to be honest. Dehydration can be very serious in dogs.
    Ive seen dogs die from dehydration so maybe make sure in future not to remove the water, unless the vet has advised to do so.

Advertisement