Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earphones...

Options
  • 11-12-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Ok, I wanted to ask here before I return a pair of earphones I got yesterday in a store. I have an mp3 play for the past few months, was using Beats (in e-ear) headphones I got with my HTC phone and they were great but last friday the left ear went, thought nothing of it, they are broken, so got a new pair of Sony headphones (in-ear) for €20, when I was paying for them the sales guy said that once I open them they can not be returned which is fair enough (hygiene reasons) and off I went.

I got to a bin and got rid of the packaging and tried them out on my way home, same problem, left ear not working, so I though it must be the mp3 player that is broken. When I got home I tried another pair of big cup headphones on the player and low and behold they work in both ears!

So it seems I have a dodgy pair of headphones that I can not return, I still have the receipt though.

My question is, since I dont have the packaging the Sony headphones came in but I do have the receipt and another pair of headphones I have at home (that are just too big for using during the day) work perfectly, can I return these or am I fceked?

Thanks for reading my long winded story :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

No they mean you can't return them for change of mind. Faulty goods are completely different. Take them back in, if they need the packaging they'll open up another pair, give you those and put your pair in that packaging.

All ways keep the boxes for a week or so, not so much of an issue when dealing with bricks and mortar stores, but if you shop online. It can also save hassle if you're dealing with someone in a shop who's not firing on all cylinders that day!

One thing that springs to mind though, is there something in the ear phone socket on the HTC? A bit of lint or something might stop one of the poles connecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Bepolite wrote: »
    No they mean you can't return them for change of mind. Faulty goods are completely different. Take them back in, if they need the packaging they'll open up another pair, give you those and put your pair in that packaging.

All ways keep the boxes for a week or so, not so much of an issue when dealing with bricks and mortar stores, but if you shop online. It can also save hassle if you're dealing with someone in a shop who's not firing on all cylinders that day!

One thing that springs to mind though, is there something in the ear phone socket on the HTC? A bit of lint or something might stop one of the poles connecting.

I use a Samsung Galaxy MP3 player, the Beats headphones I was using came with my HTC One phone. Yeah I cleaned the jack and socket with a small cotton bud to see if it made a difference but no, still just the right ear working, left ear not. As I said I have another pair of big cup headphones for home use and both ears worked fine with them on the Galaxy, so its definitely the Sony headphones that are faulty, I just thought it was weird that my Beats one's went last Friday in the left ear and these new ones dont work on the left ear either, but my big ones do, just unlucky I guess.

Ok, so I can go in and explain whats happening with the receipt and it shouldnt be a problem to get them exchanged to another pair all going well?

I will never throw away the box again, just dont think with headphones, especially when they are cheap one, learnt my lesson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You shouldn't have any issues - I get lambasted for making points on the way people come across but I'm going to do it here so... :pac:

Give the shop as little information as possible, just politely explain the Sony's aren't working on the two devices you've tried but the you've another pair that are. Don't mention the beats headphones.

They won't need the packaging if you're doing a straight swap as they can take the current packaging. Test the new headphones before you leave the store.

It should all be relatively hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thanks for that! Yeah I won't mention the Beats at all, just that these aren't working in the left ear and i will DEFO try the new pair before I leave the shop.

Thanks for all your help and advice, Bepolite!

Advertisement