Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right Time to Start a Masters

Options
  • 11-12-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

I had been considering commencing a masters in January. I am in full time employment so I had focused in on distance options and have narrowed down to DCU MSc in Management for Sustainable Development or DCU MSc in Management of Operations, both through Oscail. Oscail would suit both work and family commitments and the two options broadly align with the sector I am working in - energy. However, we recently had the good news that we are expecting our second child and so I am caught in two minds as to whether to start in January and then take a break for 6-12 months which is an option or to just wait until 2015 to commence.

Anyone have any similar experiences trying to balance family/work/masters studies? Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im balancing work/life/distance masters/gym - I dont have kids so thats a big difference.

I dont think there is any one good time to start to be honest. In your shoes Id be leaning toward the start in January then take a break, mostly because it will be easier to go back to it with some already done - the psychological benefit of having made a start is worth a lot. Plus, you may find that you dont want to commit for as long after the second child is born so finishing rather than starting from scratch might be a more attractive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

Thanks for the response.

Its hard to know. While I am keen to get moving I am slightly edging toward waiting until the child is born, then reassess, with a view to perhaps commencing in either September of 2014 or the following Jan. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who is trying to balance family with the mix of study/work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm doing a full time MSc at the moment, but half the class is doing it part time. I'll just say, the part-timers are seriously busy combining college and work. Tbh unless it's going to immediately impact your job prospects, I'd wait. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

Thanks Dan - no its not going to immediately impact my job prospects, more for my long term career progression.
    I think I will sit it out for a bit, things always take a long time to settle with a new arrival.

Advertisement