Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sennheisers for a Guitarist/Musician Reccomendation

• 11-12-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi guys

I myself have used Sennheisers for years after "borrowing" my dad's pair of HD 205s, being a PC gamer, I have since moved up to a pair PC 360s(Open Back) with accompanying mid-range sound card for gaming, music and general use, as well as communications, call me biased, but I think Sennheiser are quite good.

So after hearing my mom saying she was going to get my dad(A professional musician who mainly plays guitar, bass, and can play drums) a pair of Beats for Christmas like my sister's pair, I protested and volunteered to find him a good pair of Sennheisers.

I was looking at the HD 500s, but have since been looking at the HD 380 Pros

Any recommendations or ideas, information to consider?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hi guys

I myself have used Sennheisers for years after "borrowing" my dad's pair of HD 205s, being a PC gamer, I have since moved up to a pair PC 360s(Open Back) with accompanying mid-range sound card for gaming, music and general use, as well as communications, call me biased, but I think Sennheiser are quite good.

So after hearing my mom saying she was going to get my dad(A professional musician who mainly plays guitar, bass, and can play drums) a pair of Beats for Christmas like my sister's pair, I protested and volunteered to find him a good pair of Sennheisers.

I was looking at the HD 500s, but have since been looking at the HD 380 Pros

Any recommendations or ideas, information to consider?

In what situation will he be using them? Just listening to music in a quiet area? Or a loud area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭SOLID_SNAKE!

Morf wrote: »
    In what situation will he be using them? Just listening to music in a quiet area? Or a loud area?

Literally listening to songs and his guitar through a mixer to learn off the guitar sections, if that doesn't make much sense it's because I'm not a musician :P.

So in a relatively quiet area, a room in our house, this is where I'm not sure whether closed-back or open-back headphones would be better, I'm assuming closed back.

Do they have to be Sennheisers? There are plenty of other quality makers in Beats price territory.

What would your budget be?

Does it have to be bricks and mortar or is online ok?

Do they have to be Sennheisers?

What would your budget be?

€150 max, no not just Sennheisers, I just really don't know too much about other brands

Oh and online is preferred unless they can be got in Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I prefer open-back headphones for guitar music, think it sounds more natural. Closed back to me emphasise bass more, and are maybe more suitable for hip-hop/electronic music.

Maybe the HD 598:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042A8CW2

Haven't tried them myself (have HD 650s, which are similar), but they have great reviews and I think they look cool.

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    I prefer open-back headphones for guitar music, think it sounds more natural. Closed back to me emphasise bass more, and are maybe more suitable for hip-hop/electronic music.

Maybe the HD 598:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042A8CW2

Haven't tried them myself (have HD 650s, which are similar), but they have great reviews and I think they look cool.

Those were the first ones I searched up on amazon after hearing that my PC 360s were based on that series and when I read reviews they were compared to them too.

but I didn't know they came in that gorgeous colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sorry to butt in lads but I'm looking for a pair to use with my guitar through the amp (amps don't go down too well in apartments).

I play alot of heavy metal, distorted tones and effects pedals etc... so was wondering if anyone could recommend a good pair for this use that won't dull the sound.

I tried the marshall headphones and they were just awful.

I'd go for these

Audio Technica ATH M50

or

Sennheiser HD558

Both just under €150. Audio Technica closed and Sennheiser open.

Right, I've narrowed it down to the HD 558 and the more expensive HD 598, I've heard the bass is less punchy in the 598, but I've not heard either so I can't say, any tips, what's the real difference between the two?.

I'm leaning more towards the HD 558 at the minute

Right, I've narrowed it down to the HD 558 and the more expensive HD 598, I've heard the bass is less punchy in the 598, but I've not heard either so I can't say, any tips, what's the real difference between the two?.

I'm leaning more towards the HD 558 at the minute

The HD598 isn't going to be within budget. It's £149 + higher Irish vat on top.

You're looking at €185.

• Advertisement

The HD598 isn't going to be within budget. It's £149 + higher Irish vat on top.

You're looking at €185.

€190 with free shipping, I know, but I want to know what the difference between them is

€190 with free shipping, I know, but I want to know what the difference between them is

I don't own/haven't used either.

The HD 598s have a wider frequency range and less distortion.

Go look up some reviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Thanks for the info lads.

The Audio Technica are closed (don't leak sound) and are generally the first step on the ladder to audiophilia (lifelong poverty). They are great bang for buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You wouldn't consider stretching/saving for a HD-25?
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?sw=hd-25&bn=&gk=

Or a HD-25-SP, which isn't as bad as people make out to be.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You wouldn't consider stretching/saving for a HD-25?
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?sw=hd-25&bn=&gk=

Or a HD-25-SP, which isn't as bad as people make out to be.

I'm going on the original budget to be honest and personal experience.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The 25s are more a 'working' set in my opinion, the clamping on them takes some getting used to. The amperior are a nice looking version, but again clamp a bit tight.

For at home listening, the 598s are great, I use them for easy listening and watching movies late some times they are really, really comfortable. Like all open backs they aren't very flexible however as can't really use travelling or out and about.

The over ear momentums are probably somewhere in the middle between the two, closed back, comfortable, flexible, cool looking and nice neutral sound.

Advertisement