Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] National Duathlon Champs - Fingal 5th April 2014

Options
  • 11-12-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

I don't think there is another thread on this, forgive me if there is mods...perhaps this can be merged if so.

I was looking for a challenge in April to focus the mind and measure winter gains. I had been tempted by a flat 10k near home but I need to get out of my comfort zone more and really test myself. So nothing like the 10/40/5 format of this race and the promise of a very, very highly competitive field to focus the mind! Oh the fear!

Anybody else going to target it?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I assume if this is national champs the cycle will be the correct distance? Wouldn't mind giving this a shot if I can get out on my bike once or twice between now and then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

From what I recall the standard was very high last year, though national champs would want to be. I have it in mind anyway, could be a great pre-season dose of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So where do you get your ticket to enter this lottery?

(smart comment aside from what I have been told Fingal TC have done fantastic work to get things moving in the area and I know I for one will be at their Skerries event (taking part or with the family spectating) to show support.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Yip forgot to mention that, getting the roads closed was a big part of my decision, fair play to Fingal TC.

Race website

Anyone familiar with the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'll be in for this alright.

Completely died last year and an absolute shock of unpreparedness for this race format.
    Calves cramped on only lap 2 of bike as just didn't have the strength to cope after the opening 10k dash!

So some demons to address and it really is a tough format and ideal date so will be a suffer fest.

Won't be a target/peak race but will be one to test early season waters.

I think it took me 2 weeks to recover from this last year!

For the competitive field, tough race format and dublin based location it's too hard to turn down.

If biking is in good shape that early then best to not empty the tank on first run obv...
    If running in better shape then try hang on!

Cathal O'Donovan killed it last year, over all 3 splits. No doubt he will be up to defend his title all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I had planned to do it until i seen the date, will be in taper mode by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I plan to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nroyser

looking forward to have ye all racing in what promises to be a great race series in Ardgillan Castle..stunning venue and great bike course, we have been doing lots of work engaging the relevant stakeholders to get the great race..all the forms are submitted to the council for official road closures so we should hear back soon, all the engagements to date have been very positive and the council and Gardai have been very supportive- fingers crossed we get the official approval in next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Wow after seeing the course map I think I'm going to do this, that really is a fantastic course. Whoever wins will be a worthy national champion. The hills in Ardgillan are so tough, it is a fantastic venue. I was originally going to do the Great Ireland Run the day after but I'm really torn now. I've never done a duathlon before so it would be cool to debut in such a fantastic location. That run course is going to be talked about and talked about after this race is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Thinking strong about this race a step up from races over the last 2 years, max race distance covered was 5/20/5. Looks to be a very good course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Its on my list

nroyser wrote: »
    looking forward to have ye all racing in what promises to be a great race series in Ardgillan Castle..stunning venue and great bike course, we have been doing lots of work engaging the relevant stakeholders to get the great race..all the forms are submitted to the council for official road closures so we should hear back soon, all the engagements to date have been very positive and the council and Gardai have been very supportive- fingers crossed we get the official approval in next few days.

Thanks for that noyser, we appreciate good communication around these parts from race organisers/directors. Will you let us know if/when ye get the official approval please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nroyser

Guys,

I'm delighted to announce Fingal triathlon club have secured official road closures for the full bike section of our Duathlon. We recieved confirmation this morning. Hope ye all sign up. Check out www.fingaltri.ie for all the course details. Its a spectacular run course and very fast bike course.

Thanks
    Nigel

Guys,

I'm delighted to announce Fingal triathlon club have secured official road closures for the full bike section of our Duathlon. We recieved confirmation this morning. Hope ye all sign up. Check out www.fingaltri.ie for all the course details. Its a spectacular run course and very fast bike course.

Thanks
    Nigel

Fair play Nigel, thanks. It is very much the focus of my winter training. I entered over the Christmas and the brutal 10/40/5 format has me training out of fear and has kept me focus when out in the cold or doing a hard turbo sessions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

good job by all those involved .

Guys,

Thanks
    Nigel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    good job by all those involved .

Sure who knows Peter if no one decent turns up to this duathlon either you might get a NC medal :)

Advertisement