Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untidy Tenant

Options
  • 11-12-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a gentleman who is currently renting my house. Overall I'd say I'm 75% happy with him. No issues paying rent on time, great to deal with in terms of addressing issues. The problem is I'm unhappy with the overall state in which the house is kept - bin bags lying around, untidy kitchen counter, rooms look like they've never been hoovered. I know it's purely cosmetic but am I being overly fussy or could I say it to him nicely without offending him? Looking for some advice.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You are not his mother. How he keeps his home is his own business; provided he is not causing any lasting damage to the place or creating a health hazard then I would say you have no business telling him how to live his life. The bin bags would be the only issue I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

whodafunk wrote: »
    . I know it's purely cosmetic but am I being overly fussy or could I say it to him nicely without offending him? Looking for some advice.

It's none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Provided that he is not creating a health hazard, causing damage to your property, or being a problem to the neighbours, you should leave him alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Reading previous threads in A and P, I'd say there are landlords around here that would buy him off ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Thanks all. I'll leave well enough alone so. I might just mention the bin bags and leave it at that. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thanks all. I'll leave well enough alone so. I might just mention the bin bags and leave it at that. Thanks for the advice.

Good idea. Best leave it, and keep the realationship positive. If that's the only complaint you have then count yourself lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Presumably you have only been inside the place with his permission and while he was also there?

If you are unhappy about the bags in the kitchen just mention it to him that you would prefer to see a proper pedal bin in the kitchen or that the rubbish bags be left in the wheelie bin outside.

Is there anything in the lease about him keeping the place tidy?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check how he gets rid of the rubbish. If he doesn't have a regular bin service, recommend he gets one, to ensure there's not a heap of rubbish in the shed when he moves out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The only thing Id suggest is ask him to do something about the bins, the smell of food lingering, especially this time of year, might be enough to encourage mice and rats to find a way into the home, and then you really have a problem.

Advertisement