Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Youtube policy forces A LOT of game play related videos to go away

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It would never happen given the various rights issues involved. And there's not really much of a separation between Netflix and the Kids version. The only difference is that on the kids menu you don't get PG13 upwards films but on the normal Netflix you still have loads of kids shows and films there.

Well I was adressing your issue of "clustering your netlix", which I think completely solved. Making a separate entry as it is different content, easy to do it.

As for Netflix in general - we dont know. It was just an idea and food for thought.

Well I was adressing your issue of "clustering your netlix", which I think completely solved. Making a separate entry as it is different content, easy to do it.

As for Netflix in general - we dont know. It was just an idea and food for thought.

The way Netflix works is that Ben if they had a seperate area for Just Play videos the normal Netflix would still be flooded by them. Personally I think that it's a ridiculous idea and one that I'm glad will never happen. Just Play videos are one of those odd pointless things I've never understood. Watching someone else play a game seems like a complete waste of time and as I said, developers must be constantly annoyed when their games are thrown up online hours after release. Could you imagine if that happened with films or TV?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The last thing I would want is to see Netflix full of Just Play videos. It's bad enough atm having to wade through all the crap Discovery Channel documentaries but it would be ten times worse if it was full of crap, cheap looking home made videos.

I can understand the reasoning behind this move and tbh it's been a long time coming. A lot of people seem unable to understand why a developer or publishers would be for it as they believe that a Just Play video is free advertising. Can you imagine how developers must feel after spending years on a project to go onto YouTube and find that someone has uploaded their entire game online reveling all the twists and surprises. I'll often check out gameplay videos for something I'm curious about but can't get a demo of but I'd never watch more than a few minutes and if there was any major spoiler in the footage I'd be quite annoyed.

That's what dmca is there for.

The way Netflix works is that Ben if they had a seperate area for Just Play videos the normal Netflix would still be flooded by them. Personally I think that it's a ridiculous idea and one that I'm glad will never happen. Just Play videos are one of those odd pointless things I've never understood. Watching someone else play a game seems like a complete waste of time and as I said, developers must be constantly annoyed when their games are thrown up online hours after release. Could you imagine if that happened with films or TV?

I think you just generally dont like "lets plays" and Twitch and you just starting to blabbing non sense.

It would be extremely easy to do for netlflix a separate category for video games as it is quite different content from movies, cartoons, TV series. Even The ones who want gaming content would just use something like "Netflix game edition", those who need just Netflix will use "Netflix". You making a problem where there is no Problem.

As for your view on the Lets plays and video game content on youtube - Its totally different topic. I can only imagine how Pissed of Mojang is that youtubers using Minecraft so Vastly on Youtube. I bet he only lost money from it and did not got popularity or free marketing or gazilion copies of minecraft sold by Yogcast alone. Yes there are only bad sides of it. :pac:

I think you just generally dont like "lets plays" and Twitch and you just starting to blabbing non sense.

It would be extremely easy to do for netlflix a separate category for video games as it is quite different content from movies, cartoons, TV series. Even The ones who want gaming content would just use something like "Netflix game edition", those who need just Netflix will use "Netflix". You making a problem where there is no Problem.

As for your view on the Lets plays and video game content on youtube - Its totally different topic. I can only imagine how Pissed of Mojang is that youtubers using Minecraft so Vastly on Youtube. I bet he only lost money from it and did not got popularity or free marketing or gazilion copies of minecraft sold by Yogcast alone. Yes there are only bad sides of it. :pac:

As true as this is, the situation were in is also not just about let's plays.

For example I film competitive gaming tournaments. By and large these games live and die by their popularity over media outlets like YouTube. No way the devs want my larger ilk to vanish. Every fun moment in a tournament inspires one or two more people to pick a game up.

• Advertisement

It's not that I don't like them, I just find them incrediably pointless.

There are huge issues legally with them which is why the Netflix idea would never go anywhere. Netflix is a mess when it comes to sorting content and the last thing it needs is to have thousands if people uploading their play through videos.

Sure there are some titles which benefited from the exposure of play through videos but a lot of developers and gamers lose out. If I spent years working in a game and the day it was released someone uploaded the whole thing online I'd be pretty annoyed and having spoke to a number of developers they too find it irritating.

title such as mine craft or Terraria can benefit from gamer created videos as both games are unique for each gamer and as such they can be a showcase for just what's possible within the game world, where as something such as The Last of Us is more linear and if someone ups a play through then it simply spoils the individual experience. You can I could play 100 hours of minecraft and have two totally different experiences. Not something that you can have with most titles.

There are huge issues legally with them which is why the Netflix idea would never go anywhere. Netflix is a mess when it comes to sorting content and the last thing it needs is to have thousands if people uploading their play through videos.

Sure there are some titles which benefited from the exposure of play through videos but a lot of developers and gamers lose out. If I spent years working in a game and the day it was released someone uploaded the whole thing online I'd be pretty annoyed and having spoke to a number of developers they too find it irritating.

title such as mine craft or Terraria can benefit from gamer created videos as both games are unique for each gamer and as such they can be a showcase for just what's possible within the game world, where as something such as The Last of Us is more linear and if someone ups a play through then it simply spoils the individual experience. You can I could play 100 hours of minecraft and have two totally different experiences. Not something that you can have with most titles.

What legal issues?

There aren't any. If a company doesn't want a game on YouTube, they scrape it with a copyright bot and use the legally binding dmca procedure to perform an instant take down.

What legal issues?

There aren't any. If a company doesn't want a game on YouTube, they scrape it with a copyright bot and use the legally binding dmca procedure to perform an instant take down.

We're discussing the possibility of play through a on Netflix which would be a legal nightmare.

It's not that I don't like them, I just find them incrediably pointless.

So we finally got around that bridge where it would not be possible to actuall have it on netflix.

Then to adress your issue with sorting and recomendation. You said it yourself, Netflix Kids just blocks all over 13 content. Now tell, how hard it would be just to Label each Gaming related video with "gaming" tag. Then make normal Netflix ignore "gaming" tagged videos and display the rest. Then you create "Netflix for gamers" profile same way you got "netflix for kids", but in the Gamer profile you get only all videos with "gaming" tag. Its extremely easy even from programming point of view ffs.

As for legal Issues - What ****ing Legal issues? Netflix does not show everything, only the videos it has rights to show. Same would be with Video games. Deals with publishers etc. Keep in mind, we just talk about alternatives and "what could happen and who could take over that gold mine". Just an example, Twitch is freaking broadcasting any game you want and you can watch Vod too, how come twitch is not getting same bull****? Maybe, because they got better thought out system?!

Just food for thought: If person gets same entertainment/experience from just watching the recording ( never playing it himself and buying product ) or playing it by himself the actual game, then maybe the game is **** in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭brevity

I dont know if any of you guys follow xcal but he's posted this video

Some of the copyright claims appear to be complete B.S.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I completely respect a creator's right (and, by extent, its distributors / publishers) to protect their content: that's a fundamental part of copyright laws. If they don't want it on YouTube, they should have the right to request its removal. I've said it before, but the likes of the 100+ part playthroughs of entire single player campaigns are simply ripping the piss (as well as being profoundly uninteresting, IMO). I see no reason why that sort of blatant copyright infringement should make money for the video makers and not the content creators. I'm all for critical commentary (although I wouldn't consider a lot of gaming video commentary particularly critical :pac:), but you can do that without having to use dozens of hours of content someone else - or indeed hundreds of other people - have created. People aren't allowed upload whole films with their own commentary attached - and while that's not directly comparable to games, it just shows that in other mediums no-one would get away with republishing the same amount of content game video makers would under justifications of criticism or fair use.

An interesting person to note here is Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Super Smash Bros. He's decided against creating a story mode or in-game cutscenes for the next installment as he felt all the surprises he'd planned were ruined after they were uploaded to video sites within hours or days of release last time around. Now, Super Smash Bros. Brawl's story mode wasn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread, but I think it's a shame his artistic intentions were compromised, regardless of whether the results were particularly inspiring or not. I can't imagine he's alone in that sort of view, either.

That said, I definitely think some genres and games benefit from a heavy online video presence - fighting games, stuff like Minecraft, highscore based games etc... I'd be surprised if many of those companies were opposed to the capturing community, which helps keep the games relevant and popular. There's also something to be said for reviewers who use a sensible amount of illustrative footage without taking advantage.

There's a compromise to be reached here, and I don't think existing copyright law is cut out for it (further complicated by the interactivity of games). It would also be a shame if the whole situation turned into a copyright cluster**** with everyone attempting to grab a piece of the pie, as seems to be the case in some examples from the last few days. I do think developers and publishers are entitled to some control over how much content is used, and certainly are entitled to financial earnings when their work is helping create a sizable revenue stream. Stuff like the upload and streaming features on the new consoles is a good example of a partial compromise, allowing the developers to have some control over what's uploadable, and handily restricting the amount of content that can be used in one go.

Just for the record, I find a vast majority of Lets Plays incredibly dull and pointless, and wouldn't be particularly concerned if they disappeared tomorrow. But I recognise there's an ever-growing audience for them, illustrated by the fact many game publishers feel the revenue is significant enough to actually do something about it.

So we finally got around that bridge where it would not be possible to actuall have it on netflix.

Then to adress your issue with sorting and recomendation. You said it yourself, Netflix Kids just blocks all over 13 content. Now tell, how hard it would be just to Label each Gaming related video with "gaming" tag. Then make normal Netflix ignore "gaming" tagged videos and display the rest. Then you create "Netflix for gamers" profile same way you got "netflix for kids", but in the Gamer profile you get only all videos with "gaming" tag. Its extremely easy even from programming point of view ffs.

The point was that even if there is a Netflix for gamers the normal interface would still be full of gaming videos. It's simply a case that you can set up a Netflix gaming and then never have it interfere with the normal Netflix.
    As for legal Issues - What ****ing Legal issues? Netflix does not show everything, only the videos it has rights to show. Same would be with Video games. Deals with publishers etc. Keep in mind, we just talk about alternatives and "what could happen and who could take over that gold mine". Just an example, Twitch is freaking broadcasting any game you want and you can watch Vod too, how come twitch is not getting same bull****? Maybe, because they got better thought out system?!

If Netflix were to start showing playthrough videos from gamers irate at Youtube and their handling of this then it would result in a rather restrictive system. Those who create the playthroughs would first have to obtain permission from the developer/publisher before starting work on their video. That may seem easy enough but there could be a dozen people who own a part of the rights and clearing the material could take weeks. Twitch are getting away with it at the moment but don't be surprised to see them face similar restrictions as youtube are imposing.
    Just food for thought: If person gets same entertainment/experience from just watching the recording ( never playing it himself and buying product ) or playing it by himself the actual game, then maybe the game is **** in the first place?

I think the problem is that if someone watches a playthrough of a game they are less likely to go out and buy that game. Would you watch a film if you had seen how it ended or knew of all the twists? Anyone I know who watches playthrough videos rarely would then go out and play the games themselves

That said, I definitely think some genres and games benefit from a heavy online video presence - fighting games, stuff like Minecraft, highscore based games etc... I'd be surprised if many of those companies were opposed to the capturing community, which helps keep the games relevant and popular. There's also something to be said for reviewers who use a sensible amount of illustrative footage without taking advantage.

I think that a lot of the appeal of watching videos of Minecraft and the like is to see what others are doing. As the game is unique to the individual there's nothing to spoil or run and it can in fact result in gamers getting more ambitious.

Similarly I've always saw videos of fighting games or multiplayer Star Craft to be in a similar vein. People like watching people who are good at something and having seen a few videos of SF or Star Craft and it's akin to watching a master pianist. I find both videos to be rather boring but I respect the level of skill it takes to get that good at something.

We're discussing the possibility of play through a on Netflix which would be a legal nightmare.

Again, all they'd have to do is put a dmca mechanism in place.

Again, all they'd have to do is put a dmca mechanism in place.

For Netflix it would never get to that as there's not a chance that they would allow anyone to upload a video that there weren't signed contracts allowing permission to use the game. It would mean that people who wanted to upload a play through would have to go through a lot of effort in order to be allowed to showcase their video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭brevity

I like some lets plays, probably up to a point, then I guess it gets kinda repetitive. If it's two friends going through a game, say xcal and Waldodude, I do enjoy the dynamic between the two more than them going through the game.

Will be interesting to see what happens if PewDiePie has to stop as well. Considering he has over 17m subscribers and each video of his regularly hits the 3million views mark, would have an effect on YouTube as a whole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You don't understand lets plays? Is it too complicated or something? Are you confused as to why people watch sports, too? If you can call that a pointless waste of time then how is it different from the games themselves? And comparing uploading movies and shows to unique gameplay... you're actin' the maggot.

I think the Netflix idea is great, I just think they should make it a seperate category and not entirely gaming related... just a user videos section. Unfortunately the world revolves around Darko so it will never happen.

I don't even watch conventional lets plays, I enjoy in-depth game analysis and competitive multiplayer. I'm worried about how all of these channels will be affected and imagining how better they would thrive on some decent competition, at 60+FPS, no ads, no bot harassment and lightning fast download - If only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Netflix isn't for user-generated content, so that's why it won't happen. They've a totally different model to youtube. Dailymotion or something like that would be a more viable alternative. No idea if you can monetise videos there though.

You don't understand lets plays? Is it too complicated or something? Are you confused as to why people watch sports, too? If you can call that a pointless waste of time then how is it different from the games themselves? And comparing uploading movies and shows to unique gameplay... you're actin' the maggot.

I think the Netflix idea is great, I just think they should make it a seperate category and not entirely gaming related... just a user videos section. Unfortunately the world revolves around Darko so it will never happen.

I understand them and as I said in a previous post I can respect people who are amazing at Fighting games or Minecraft but don't see the point in watching a play through of a single player gamer. Bar fighting games or stuff like Minecraft there are no games that are truly unique.

Netflix would never allow user created videos to be upped as it's a legal minefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Bar fighting games or stuff like Minecraft there are no games that are truly unique.

2UgMBlH.jpg

Netflix would never allow user created videos to be upped as it's a legal minefield.

Companies often split or create new departments. Just look at Microsoft and Sony, their gaming department are wholly separate to the larger body of the company. I don't care about netlfix, they just have a better video architecture than youtube (money talks). I don't care who the competition is as long as it does everything you tube refuses to do. Ultimately, there was just too much power in the hands of the users and Google don't have a good record for respecting their users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

On the plus side, pewdiepie will be out of a job

Companies often split or create new departments. Just look at Microsoft and Sony, their gaming department are wholly separate to the larger body of the company.

What's your point? Just because they are legal entities doesn't mean that it's any less of a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Grimebox wrote: »
    On the plus side, pewdiepie will be out of a job

just said the very same thing to my mate just now lol :D

For Netflix it would never get to that as there's not a chance that they would allow anyone to upload a video that there weren't signed contracts allowing permission to use the game. It would mean that people who wanted to upload a play through would have to go through a lot of effort in order to be allowed to showcase their video.

No offence but I don't think you really understand how this works!

No offence but I don't think you really understand how this works!

I do understand how it works and as such there is no way in hell that Netflix would allow for the uploading of any content that was not legally cleared by them. It would not be a case like we have now where I could sit down and record my play through of a game and then upload it as I could on youtube. Netflix would have to clear every thing that was upped before it could go live so as to cover themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's a different breed of the same animal, also why netflix has a limited selection when compared to a video library. Copyright being the Redtape for pretty much everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

So leaving the whole netflix thing at the side, is there any serious contenders out there that already exist and have an infrastructure to support user generated uploads?I'm aware of sites like Daily motion and Vimeo, but there doesn't seem to be much gaming content on them .Is there any other sites that are mainly aimed at gamers?

Its funny how publishers themselves are against Youtube copyright...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/11/youtube-blocks-game-videos-industry-offers-help/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So does this mean that say...any achievement guide videos will be taken down now?

• Advertisement

So does this mean that say...any achievement guide videos will be taken down now?

Pretty much. People can hate lets plays ( I am not a fan of them myself, but I am more of a "live and let others live" guy ), but I did used them if ! would get stuck on some level or wanted to know how to get achievement.

Advertisement