Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Youtube policy forces A LOT of game play related videos to go away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Pretty much. People can hate lets plays ( I am not a fan of them myself, but I am more of a "live and let others live" guy ), but I did used them if ! would get stuck on some level or wanted to know how to get achievement.

+1
    They weren't a hobby of mine but were nice to have when they were needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

/goes of to buy www.videosofgamesbeingplayed.com and 20 kajillion tubes of bandwidth.

Imo this is games companies wanting either control(of the guys) or money from the guys making alleged millions from youtube games videos.

For instance MSft could get Major Tom or whatever his name is making videos for their 1st party games, wanna watch it well they get paid and you get to hear what they want you to.

imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

An interesting person to note here is Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Super Smash Bros. He's decided against creating a story mode or in-game cutscenes for the next installment as he felt all the surprises he'd planned were ruined after they were uploaded to video sites within hours or days of release last time around. Now, Super Smash Bros. Brawl's story mode wasn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread, but I think it's a shame his artistic intentions were compromised, regardless of whether the results were particularly inspiring or not. I can't imagine he's alone in that sort of view, either.

Is that seriously the excuse he gave for not creating a story mode? If so, i call bull**** on that. That's the most pathetic excuse for not adding a story mode to a game i've ever heard. Fair enough if he didn't think it was important, but don't try to bull**** people like that.

I don't play SSB, so i don't really care, but that 'reasoning' is just annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kiith wrote: »
    Is that seriously the excuse he gave for not creating a story mode? If so, i call bull**** on that. That's the most pathetic excuse for not adding a story mode to a game i've ever heard. Fair enough if he didn't think it was important, but don't try to bull**** people like that.

I don't play SSB, so i don't really care, but that 'reasoning' is just annoying.

Its like: Why make a New movie? It will still be pirated!

Lads its a game about Mario fcuking Tiger Uppercutting Zelda.

There is no amount of crack cocaine anyone could take to make a plot that any normal person would suspend belief to engage in. I have no idea what he is on about.

Mario Tiger Uppercuts Zelda!!!

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »

There is no amount of crack cocaine anyone could take to make a plot that any normal person would suspend belief to engage in. I have no idea what he is on about.

Mario Tiger Uppercuts Zelda!!!

Its about "bull**** excuse", not about being able to do it. Then again everyone said that it is impossible to make a fighting game with decent story, then MK9 came out and did it right. I bet you could make some cool story in SSB if someone managed to make Kingdom Heart story.

dreamers75 wrote: »

And i'm happy for it to not have a story. But don't user a bull**** excuse like the one he did.

Just say exactly what you said, and pretty much everyone will agree :)

I agree just someone who makes a game about Uppercutting Zelda is not really someone who should have a valid point on plot spoilering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Does this mean no more PewdiePie ?

I see paradox interactive put out a legal document as a legal disclaimer so no 'Let's play' of their games will be removed.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?671169-Monetizing-from-Youtube-videos-containing-Paradox-Interactive-material
    We have understood that many of you are having videos containing material from our games removed from Youtube because you need written consent from us.

Our legal department composed a letter which hopefully will be enough for Youtube, so feel free to use it (see attachment in this post).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm a bit suspicious of blaming YouTube for this. I imagine every video get scanned and the findings get put into a audio/video algorithm so they can retroactively do something...but copyright holders have to upload reference files to match against. YouTube copyright school also says it's up to the copyright holders what they want to do about matched content - monetise it, block it, or leave it be. Surely these games publishers, if they really didn't want to take youtubers' revenue away, would just set it to 'leave it be', or delete reference files etc. I don't think everyone's playing as nice as Paradox as seen above.

I can't explain the new, obviously-BS copyright claims (like videogame vids getting matches by "Elo Movies") though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, that's what he said: http://www.destructoid.com/smash-bros-lacks-cutscenes-because-they-ll-end-up-online-258717.phtml

I wholly agree the loss of a story mode in SSB isn't exactly a significant one (the last one was a grindy mess, even if some of the cutscenes were brilliantly ridiculous) and its a bit silly to expect anything else these days, but just interesting to note one person's unusual view on the matter.

Something like Gone Home is the kind of game I'd have a lot of sympathy for in terms of video uploading (although independent developers are likely less inclined or even unable to take legal action). There's a game proudly narrative based, built around the mystery of what's going to be revealed in the attic (although the game is clever enough to ensure it's not just about the reveal). But when I youtube it, the first results (on mobile anyway), before even the official trailers, are all 'whole game' lets plays with tens or hundreds of thousand of views. I'd say its a relatively safe bet that a significant portion of those who watched and got the whole story declined buying it for themselves. I'd suggest many of those people likely wouldn't be able to appreciate the game anyway, but that's just a simple case of IMO Lets Play video makers getting away with far more than they deserve to. I just have little sympathy for anyone who uploads a whole campaign or story, and honestly I do think in some cases - especially shorter, smaller games - they have the potential to hurt the developers' sales as much, if not more, than they help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I wonder if we'll see flipped image game play and cut scenes in games from now on like you come across with pirated movies on YT lot. Apparently it avoids detection from the bots. Maybe even the hyper speed sponge bob episodes, that also bypasses the bots although wouldn't be viable for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I wonder if we'll see flipped image game play and cut scenes in games from now on like you come across with pirated movies on YT lot. Apparently it avoids detection from the bots. Maybe even the hyper speed sponge bob episodes, that also bypasses the bots although wouldn't be viable for gaming.
    Replace in-game sounds with your own made up ones?

'KABBBBBBBBBBBPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWASGDSALGKAG!' said the c4 as he exploded the police chopper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Again, all they'd have to do is put a dmca mechanism in place.

It's not about that though. It's the territorial restrictions for licensing broadcasts that Darko is referring to.

Netflix doesn't do user submitted content either, so I don't see why this whole thing has become such a big discussion point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Update here:

http://kotaku.com/youtube-copyright-chaos-continues-game-publishers-to-t-1481517758

Apparently this is mainly being done by music libraries and not by the "evil publishers" like people suspected.

It seems the vast majority of publishers, except nintendo of course, understand the free advertising tool that lets plays have become and are actively engaging with youtube to stop and remove the content flags for their games.

In one case it was some garbage trailer channel claiming copyright but it seems they have been stopped now and the majority is music libraries

VinLieger wrote: »
    Update here:

http://kotaku.com/youtube-copyright-chaos-continues-game-publishers-to-t-1481517758

Apparently this is mainly being done by music libraries and not by the "evil publishers" like people suspected.

It seems the vast majority of publishers, except nintendo of course, understand the free advertising tool that lets plays have become and are actively engaging with youtube to stop and remove the content flags for their games.

In one case it was some garbage trailer channel claiming copyright but it seems they have been stopped now and the majority is music libraries

Aye, I read that too. Looks like the main way to shut down videos is audio content. Then on top of that there are random fake shutdowns by random companies, which have feck all to do with gaming.
    As you said a lot of publishers are on board with Youtube gaming content. Looks like youtube getting again ****ed by Music and movie industry, so then Youtube ****ing everyone after.

I don't get it...how can music companies stop Let's Play videos? Surely the music in the game is owned by the developer/publisher? I've not seen any Lets Play that include anything other than ingame music (though admittedly i've not seen that many LP's).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

One by one... :)

So does this mean that say...any achievement guide videos will be taken down now?

No, not any more than they currently do.

What it does mean is that right now they will be copyright IDed and ad revenue will be generated on them for whoever holds the copyright claim (not necessarily the dev or publisher, btw. To be discussed below).

In the future if you're partnered you're going to have to go through a painful authorisation process for some of your vids which may prevent them from being seen- or monetised- for 2 days.

I really want to stress that this is not just basic lets players affected, some people put tonnes of genuine transformative work into videos and they are just as boned as anyone.

Also to point out partnering does a lot more than just cash. It really helps out and it's boning the little guy to freeze them out like this.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Does this mean no more PewdiePie ?

I see paradox interactive put out a legal document as a legal disclaimer so no 'Let's play' of their games will be removed.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?671169-Monetizing-from-Youtube-videos-containing-Paradox-Interactive-material

In reality this is not working- one guy I know actually got paid by a company to produce a series for them based on a property and some of those videos got claimed. This isn't working at all, but it rather seems Youtube don't care.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm a bit suspicious of blaming YouTube for this. I imagine every video get scanned and the findings get put into a audio/video algorithm so they can retroactively do something...but copyright holders have to upload reference files to match against. YouTube copyright school also says it's up to the copyright holders what they want to do about matched content - monetise it, block it, or leave it be. Surely these games publishers, if they really didn't want to take youtubers' revenue away, would just set it to 'leave it be', or delete reference files etc. I don't think everyone's playing as nice as Paradox as seen above.

I can't explain the new, obviously-BS copyright claims (like videogame vids getting matches by "Elo Movies") though.

I can explain them, they've been there years, Youtube just stupidly gave them more power.

These copyright scrapes were always in place but in the past usually Youtube didn't automatically act on them. for example, ubisoft were taking down Assassin's Creed revelations footage on day one, but haven't since.

Probably. I personally have virtually no content ID claims yet and I don't know why. I think xsplit might be helping me beat the system, accidentally.
    It's not about that though. It's the territorial restrictions for licensing broadcasts that Darko is referring to.

Netflix doesn't do user submitted content either, so I don't see why this whole thing has become such a big discussion point.

You aren't listening. That's how they choose to do things now. All they HAVE to do is work under US law for games and put a DMCA proceedure in place. That's all.
    Aye, I read that too. Looks like the main way to shut down videos is audio content. Then on top of that there are random fake shutdowns by random companies, which have feck all to do with gaming.
    As you said a lot of publishers are on board with Youtube gaming content. Looks like youtube getting again ****ed by Music and movie industry, so then Youtube ****ing everyone after.

I can also say for a fact it's not exclusively music, it's also cutscenes. There's scrapes were probably in place from when the games were new but the companies weren't acting on them. Youtube seem to have taken the choice out of their hands.

Again this is from someone who makes a lot of gaming content for youtube, keeps up with others that do and spends a lot of time reading up on it too. There's mad speculation going on in this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Replace in-game sounds with your own made up ones?

'KABBBBBBBBBBBPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWASGDSALGKAG!' said the c4 as he exploded the police chopper.

Reviewers will only be able to speak of tales of video games past like storytellers of yore, who handed tales through spoken word tradition. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I don't get it...how can music companies stop Let's Play videos? Surely the music in the game is owned by the developer/publisher? I've not seen any Lets Play that include anything other than ingame music (though admittedly i've not seen that many LP's).

I uploaded a Dark Souls video previously, I kept on getting matched Third Party Content for some Dubstep song even though I never had any Dubstep in the video. I re-edited just in case and around the same time as the previous area in the video it matched third party content for another song which again was not in the video. The music both times did not match anything remotely to do with the game so it seems as though this algorithm they use must incorrectly match audio to videos at certain points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm not sure if this has been posted.

As a side note: It does make you wonder YouTube is shorthand for videoviewing like Google has become a "verb" for using the internet. Both are synnomous with their respective functions to the whole friggin planet (unlike facebook imo). Hard to believe a day will day come (if ever) when they're not around.

Yesterday's heroes and politicans are tomorrows villians. :rolleyes:

I've never seen him quite this livid, I've always found more hilarious/insightful than anything, could you imagine his shock at all his hard work being thrown overboard! Its real sad.

Makes you wonder if we'll look back at the last 7-8 years as a time when you could these hobbies and show them off to the world, be an amaeteur, have an idea, see it grow, really beautiful, inspiring, cool.

The dream is dead, looks like these dudes are gonna have to find real jobs soon. :( I don't mean that in a snarky way either. It must feel terrible to have created a steady source of income over the years, alter your life to focus solely on that, and then have it taken away without warning.

It's like we're witnessing a mass layoff.

Although they weren't necessarily making anything of productive, real economic value.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Excellent discussion from last night on the issues(if you have 1hr30m to spare)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Adamantium wrote: »

As a side note: It does make you wonder YouTube is shorthand for videoviewing like Google has become a "verb" for using the internet. Both are synnomous with their respective functions to the whole friggin planet (unlike facebook imo). Hard to believe a day will day come (if ever) when they're not around.

I've never seen him quite this livid, I've always found more hilarious/insightful than anything, could you imagine his shock at all his hard work being thrown overboard! Its real sad.

Makes you wonder if we'll look back at the last 7-8 years as a time when you could these hobbies and show them off to the world, be an amaeteur, have an idea, see it grow, really beautiful, inspiring, cool.

The dream is dead, looks like these dudes are gonna have to find real jobs soon. :( I don't mean that in a snarky way either. It must feel terrible to have created a steady source of income over the years, alter your life to focus solely on that, and then have it taken away without warning.

Although they weren't necessarily making anything of productive, real economic value.

Well played youtube. This highlights how hard it is to monitor everything uploaded. They also host trailers for the very people sueing them and expecting them to find and pull every illegal upload.
    I would like to know how much money angry joe makes from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Adamantium wrote: »

Any rule that means less of that Angry Joe idiot is good in my book.

Despite him using the Youtube's network, their hosting, their technology, their staff, their infrastructure all for FREE. He has the idiotic notion that they are profiting from his hard work, not the other way around.

If he is so confident that he has built his empire and YouTube are holding him back and stopping him from making a living he is free to go and set up his own site, host his own videos, host his own ads and keep 100% of the revenue.

The simple fact is You Tube is too big and hosts too many videos to be able to monitor it themselves, especially when the people who upload things lie about having the rights to do so.

To have a video removed you have to have claimed to own the rights to the material 3 times. First when you upload it (it asks do you own this?) then when you monetize it( It again asks are you sure you own this?) Then when the automated system picks up some content you don't own it flags it, you then have to go a third time and say that you own it or have the rights to use it. If you have the rights to use it youtube unlocks it again.

It's not ideal but that is the price you pay for using someone else's service.

Despite him using the Youtube's network, their hosting, their technology, their staff, their infrastructure all for FREE. He has the idiotic notion that they are profiting from his hard work, not the other way around.

They do.

He's also hosting their ads.
    The simple fact is You Tube is too big and hosts too many videos to be able to monitor it themselves, especially when the people who upload things lie about having the rights to do so.

Once again they have the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) in place to protect them. They don't need to do anything beyond this.

Any rule that means less of that Angry Joe idiot is good in my book.

If he is so confident that he has built his empire and YouTube are holding him back and stopping him from making a living he is free to go and set up his own site, host his own videos, host his own ads and keep 100% of the revenue.

To have a video removed you have to have claimed to own the rights to the material 3 times. First when you upload it (it asks do you own this?) then when you monetize it( It again asks are you sure you own this?) Then when the automated system picks up some content you don't own it flags it, you then have to go a third time and say that you own it or have the rights to use it. If you have the rights to use it youtube unlocks it again.

It's not ideal but that is the price you pay for using someone else's service.

WTF? I like him and he is 100% right.

He makes CONTENT for youtube and his CONTENT brings in traffic to YOUTUBE! He is not getting it for free, its both sides benefiting from this. Youtube forgets that its content providers who make people come to youtube.
    He puts a lot of work in to his content and YES, he should be paid for this. Do you expect high quality content from someone and still having a full time job to support themselves? He is right, Youtube making millions thanks to all content creators like Angry Joe and now Youtube just ****s all of them and throwing them away as used toilet paper.

He makes CONTENT for youtube and his CONTENT brings in traffic to YOUTUBE! He is not getting it for free, its both sides benefiting from this. Youtube forgets that its content providers who make people come to youtube.
    He puts a lot of work in to his content and YES, he should be paid for this. Do you expect high quality content from someone and still having a full time job to support themselves? He is right, Youtube making millions thanks to all content creators like Angry Joe and now Youtube just ****s all of them and throwing them away as used toilet paper.

I don't particularly like Joe but I can't disagree with a word he said in that video.

I'm amazed at some of the posts here judging who clearly don't know how much work goes into producing quality work. It's not like Joe is some random lets player who just shows raw footage and screams over it. It's clear he puts time, love and effort into it and yes, both youtube and the game makers profit from the exposure they get from him (some videos in the millions).

You can say he is an artist or a workhorse but the fact of the matter is the world will be poorer for people like him not being able to receive some financial reward for their work. That's the upshot of this. Who will we trust when there's no independent voices left? Because no one is going to do this stuff for free. Unless you're rich, no one can.

Yes as well, youtube was built on the backs of people like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

On a technical level, I'm not sure if there is anybody else on the market who could manage what youtube does at this point. Any transition would have to be very slow and gradual to another large provider(like Vimeo). The badnwidth from my company alone would cripple most ISP's.

Netflix and Twitch are not the same service. Twitch is a live streaming service with a small repository of videos. Netflix is a streaming service with a small library focused on localised caching and bandwidth management. They can't do that with 1000's of videos uploaded a day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

On a technical level, I'm not sure if there is anybody else on the market who could manage what youtube does at this point. Any transition would have to be very slow and gradual to another large provider(like Vimeo). The badnwidth from my company alone would cripple most ISP's.

Netflix and Twitch are not the same service. Twitch is a live streaming service with a small repository of videos. Netflix is a streaming service with a small library focused on localised caching and bandwidth management. They can't do that with 1000's of videos uploaded a day.

Any of the big few CDNs, Akamai, Level3, Limelight, can easily do that, and do do so on a daily business. It's why Netflix and Twitch use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Who pays for the servers that host the videos? Who pays for the building that those servers are stored in? Who pays for the massive bandwidth costs when people upload and watch those videos? Who pays for the power to run those servers? Who pays for the Staff to maintain those servers? Who Pays for the staff to administer those adverts?

I could go on and on but surely you get the picture, he gets all of that for free.

Should he get paid for his work? Absolutely. I have zero problem with him making money from his hard work and he is free to do so.

Should he abide by the rules set by Youtube when he is using their resources? Absolutely. Why do you think he shouldn't?

fF he doesn't agree with the rules they set then he is free to go and host his own videos, source his own advertising stream and keep 100% of the revenue. But he won't do that because of all the stuff listed above and much more he gets for free, plus he gets access to the traffic that he could not generate on his own.

I use You Tube, I use it within their rules and have never had 1 single video taken down. How have I done that? I went to the copyright holders and got permission to use the content. For anything not YouTube friendly I spent a shed load of money on building a platform to host and publish my own content.

Every major publisher has granted permission. The only one I have problems with are THQ because well there is no one to ask.

This is an option open to anyone, so I don't think he is right at all.

Advertisement