Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Youtube policy forces A LOT of game play related videos to go away

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭Doge

Only just found out about Classic Game Room departing (kinda) from youtube now.
    Classic game room who I have been subscriber off for years has left youtube.
    If anything fell over fair use it was his channel , complete bollocks if you ask me.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    The channel is still there though?

From what I make of it, Mark has decided to stop posting any more Game Reviews on his youtube channel because they include video game footage.

However, he will still upload videos to youtube, where he will introduce the Game Review, and tell people to head on over to the Classic Game Room Website, to watch the full video review.

He has done this for the last 2 Video Reviews, since he has made his decision.

Looks like he will continue to post general videos on the youtube channel too, as you can see from the latest video of his dog! :P

Okay so, he is now using Dailymotion to host the Game Reviews.

So you have 2 options, you can go to his website, or just go to his dailymotion channel:

http://classicgameroom.com/vaultpages/vaultpage/soldier-blade-pc-engine/

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18bwl5

The nice thing about the website is that underneath the video,
    it has the Artwork and cover scans for the game,
    and also information about the Developer, Genre etc..

8oXCfhH.png

The downside is the comments will be split between his website, and dailymotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's a lazy, spineless and scummy system that Youtube have in place. From a technical standpoint, instead of having the whole thing completely automated, they could set it up the same way as eBay have their VeRO (Verified Rights Owner) program for trademarked products.

With this system, if someone requests to have any product on eBay removed for trademark/rights owner reasons, it is simply ignored unless they are a member of the VeRO program. Anyone with a registered trademark must formally sign up to be a part of the VeRO program (for example Nike, Adidas, Coke, Prada etc.) with paperwork detailing who they are, where they're based and proof of trademark.

Automation is all well and good, but this is completely ridiculous, and is a typical problem with the faceless Google/Youtube. They're a technology focused company, not customer focused and at the end of the day, all of these Content Creators on Youtube are their customers. End Of. They need to get some support staff in place and help these people, not treat them like dirt.

It's really not rocket science and can be fixed by using some imagination, cop on and a bit of process improvement. Yeah Google, remember like you used to do!??
    1. Leave the automated 'Content ID' system in place
    2. Create Verified Publisher Program
    3. Work with publishers to get them all registered/setup in the program
    4. Change ContentID system to ignore ALL copyright claims that come from ANYONE who is not the publisher.
    5. Legitimate copyright claims from a verified publisher which the Content ID system validates is then sent to a REAL LIVE HUMAN ****ING BEING to be validated again.
    6. At this point, give the content creator a grace period (7 days?) to work with the the publisher to sort any copyright issues out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

nesf wrote: »
    Actually, it does make me curious about the covers I see on Youtube where people transcribe music to a different intrument and often several instruments to one instrument e.g. vkgoeswild's piano covers of metal and rock, guitar covers of theme tunes, violin covers of gaming music. I'm pretty sure these are protected but I'm not sure if it's been tested.

This is a minefield.

OT but thank you for posting as Ive spent the last day mesmorised by that girl's piano playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ShooterSF wrote: »
    OT but thank you for posting as Ive spent the last day mesmorised by that girl's piano playing.

Notice the clock in the background (maybe on a PC screensaver)? It's there because people claimed she was fiddling with videos to make it look like she was playing faster than she was in reality. She pointed out in a vlog that "yes, all classically trained (conservatory) pianists can play this speed and faster, and people would know this if they watched some Rachmaninov being played." :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The end of roosterteeth? Haha

Apparently a few accounts have been shut down (some temporarily). One of my favourites, Watchmojo.com, were among them, but thankfully they're back.

Apparently a few accounts have been shut down (some temporarily). One of my favourites, Watchmojo.com, were among them, but thankfully they're back.

They shut down Watchmojo? But...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Had YouTube made a blog post or something saying "hey, this is about to happen, so instead of it causing a load of stress for everyone, can any publisher who doesn't have a problem get in touch with this email address and we'll confirm you're ok with people uploading videos with your copyrighted material and monetising it in exchange for the huge publicity it generates for you. Meanwhile, we'll continue to make our cut too."

This shoot first, ask questions later approach was appallingly ham-fisted and tbh, I'd have thought Google knew better. Whoever made this decision should probably be clearing out their desk.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Had YouTube made a blog post or something saying "hey, this is about to happen, so instead of it causing a load of stress for everyone, can any publisher who doesn't have a problem get in touch with this email address and we'll confirm you're ok with people uploading videos with your copyrighted material and monetising it in exchange for the huge publicity it generates for you. Meanwhile, we'll continue to make our cut too."

This shoot first, ask questions later approach was appallingly ham-fisted and tbh, I'd have thought Google knew better. Whoever made this decision should probably be clearing out their desk.

Eh, Google have been screwing up over and over for the last couple of years. To be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Indie developer Jonathan Blow, is currently making a timed exclusive for Sony called The Witness. This is his game, but apparently Youtube feels he is not entitled to monetize footage of his own game. As he was flagged for doing so.

Source

Good going there!

Myrddin wrote: »
    Source

Good going there!

Well if you put in zero human oversight this is going to happen. Over and over again. And you'll have copyright holders, e.g. game developers shouting at you for taking down free advertising of their games, video makers shouting at you for taking down videos they'd been told they'd permission to put up/owned themselves and finally community backlash by viewers who can't fathom the logic of the system and already a bit annoyed by too much weight being put on the copyright holder's side of the case in US Law (since this the is the main factor in this).

nesf wrote: »
    They shut down Watchmojo? But...

I didn't really notice it myself, but a lot of people were commenting on one of their videos that they had been shut down temporarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I do watch that while eating dinner or something, just clicking on a random top 10 something something video.....end up watching about 15 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just had my first case of YouTube interrupting videos every 6 minutes to show me ads. When I'm watching a game video to see if, say, Nether is worth looking at, I do not need the action to halt suddenly so Kellogs can shove that twee Christmas ad about corn flakes in my face.

Is "Be as big a dick as possible to viewers" just official YouTube policy now?

Sarky wrote: »
    Just had my first case of YouTube interrupting videos every 6 minutes to show me ads. When I'm watching a game video to see if, say, Nether is worth looking at, I do not need the action to halt suddenly so Kellogs can shove that twee Christmas ad about corn flakes in my face.

Is "Be as big a dick as possible to viewers" just official YouTube policy now?

This what I don't get. The crap above just pushes people towards AdBlock or whatever. It screws over the guys making videos, Youtube and Google. Why the **** would you do this? Half the bloody internet already uses Adblock and couldn't spell whitelist for you so, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Just to point out Capcom have actually been helping out everyone who's been claimed against, the publishers aren't to blame here.

At least, not on the face of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Update: Doctor Doom, Sabre0001 and I are going to film a secret game of schnakes and ladders on a chalkboard (so we can erase the evidence) and with the schnakes' faces blurred out to protect their identity in a special NSA/DMCA proof room I have and we'll try to upload it, just to see if we can get away with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-youtube-has-to-say-to-angry-youtubers-1485168478

Also this:
    Terry Kavanagh:
    Uh, I'm sorry, WHAT? Apparently my own video trailer of VVVVVV has a copyright claim against it? http://pic.twitter.com/sQfGyBBpxg
    https://twitter.com/terrycavanagh/status/413055480315920384

• Advertisement

Do no evil?

Probably the most informative video you will view on the topic, and he specifies the steps that content owners or Game Developers should take to stop this mess.

waveform wrote: »
    Probably the most informative video you will view on the topic, and he specifies the steps that content owners or Game Developers should take to stop this mess.

He missed, avoided or skirted an extremely important point. We have gaming videos pulled not because of a publisher claim but a music library claim where the publisher has given direct permission for people to upload and monetise. This is a cluster**** of almighty proportions because it's not exactly 100% clear if a publisher can do this and it needs to be resolved between publisher and music library before music library and uploader. If the game publisher files a copyright claim it's straightforward, if a third party with intellectual property incorporated into the game does it... Eh...

Edit: Sorry, specifically the issue is:

Whether or not there is an infringement depends on the legal agreement between the publisher and music library over the use of the music. The uploader will not have access to this and cannot take action either way with full information unless the publisher releases the document which is fairly unlikely. You could easily appeal up the process thinking the publisher had the right to give you permission when they in fact didn't and the claim was completely valid. This is very complicated and nuanced and really not something I'd touch without a solicitor involved which is not going to be within the remit of the average Youtube uploader.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Surely the music from games (as long as their are original compositions) are owned by the developer/publisher? And so only the dev/publisher can make a copyright claim?

Kiith wrote: »
    Surely the music from games (as long as their are original compositions) are owned by the developer/publisher? And so only the dev/publisher can make a copyright claim?

Depends. If you hire someone to create music for you it might be cheaper to get some third party to do it for you and licence it rather than buy it. Especially if you're a smaller independent developer. You can't assume much here unless you're talking about the big players who will most likely do most in-house.

Also consider say a Lord of the Rings game using music from the movie or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I posted my son's school Christmas carol night privately on youtube and it got flagged.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

When it comes to music used in other media there can be weird ownership of the rights. Sometimes the owner of the movie/game/tv show only bought the rights for TV and cinema but not streaming.
    This became an issue on Netflix a while back as well. Some TV shows had to have their original soundtrack replaced with public domain music because they hadn't paid for the streaming rights to the songs. I think Supernatural was one example. It's a bit of a mess.

In some cases, youtube videos have been removed because somebody had music on a radio in the background. There have even been cases of videos being pulled because they had a child singing a song. The whole idea here is that seeing somebody's kid singing an artist's song can give the listener a negative impression of the song and damage potential sales of the real version!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

What I don't understand is that there are people out there that make money off of YouTube and that has helped them join some of the world's best gaming leagues/teams. One example is Ocelot, a League of Legends pro player that streamed and recorded until he was recognised. These games are their jobs. The company promotes the videos, even posts them on their websites! What will become of those pro players when they receive no more funding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

quainy wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that there are people out there that make money off of YouTube and that has helped them join some of the world's best gaming leagues/teams. One example is Ocelot, a League of Legends pro player that streamed and recorded until he was recognised. These games are their jobs. The company promotes the videos, even posts them on their websites! What will become of those pro players when they receive no more funding?

Youtube have made it perfectly clear that they don't consider things like this to be their problem and they couldn't give a flying **** about how awful content id is

Advertisement