Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Youtube policy forces A LOT of game play related videos to go away

123457»

Comments

If YouTube becomes nothing but stupid people talking about their stupid lives (God, I hate those video bloggers), then I'm just going to stop using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

quainy wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that there are people out there that make money off of YouTube and that has helped them join some of the world's best gaming leagues/teams. One example is Ocelot, a League of Legends pro player that streamed and recorded until he was recognised. These games are their jobs. The company promotes the videos, even posts them on their websites! What will become of those pro players when they receive no more funding?

The internet was designed to go around. Even now a lot of Youtubers are directing people to reddit to comment on their videos. The Pro players will stream from other sites or might do it direct from their own website. The eyeballs and advertisers will follow them. Advertiser would be better off anyway because they'd have a more targeted audience. In the end star Youtubers could make even more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pushtrak wrote: »

I was expecting YouTube to apologise for screwing up so badly, but here it seems they're saying "F*ck you, users and viewers". Did Kotaku use the wrong quotes or let in a highly improbable stream of typos that make it look like YouTube actually don't care?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/12/17/youtube-responds-to-content-id-crackdown-plot-thickens/

Shocking I know but Forbes take on it is a lot clearer than Kotaku.

As I've said over and over here, Google are ignoring the legal system and putting their own in place that favours one party, that happens to be the large corporate one.

This will lead to the other parties, the ones making most of the effort in the content delivered to youtube, go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/12/17/youtube-responds-to-content-id-crackdown-plot-thickens/

Shocking I know but Forbes take on it is a lot clearer than Kotaku.

As I've said over and over here, Google are ignoring the legal system and putting their own in place that favours one party, that happens to be the large corporate one.

This will lead to the other parties, the ones making most of the effort in the content delivered to youtube, go elsewhere.
    "Hubris often comes just before the fall." It's true, just look at what happened to MYSpace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whospace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not sure here but if you dont hit the monetize button, your video wont be affected in anyway whatsoever?

Reading googles terms seems to suggest that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Not sure here but if you dont hit the monetize button, your video wont be affected in anyway whatsoever?

I had 2 videos ( fan music video type things) non monetized and I still got flagged. They'd never get more than 50 hits , but they still got the copyright claim on them.So even if you don't have them monetized, some one else can make money off them.
    Being honest, I only upload a few videos every now and then and I never even had any delusional fantasy that I could make any money off them or off the back off other peoples creative work, but this whole thing has turned me off YouTube completely. Plenty of other places to host videos that all 2 of my friends can watch my piss poor excuses for entertainment.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Ads will appear and other people will make money off your video, whether the claim is legit or not and disregarding how much of the content is yours.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So have any of these companies claiming the music been verified as owning the music? Or are they just sham companies setup and taking advantage of Youtube's crappy system?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    So have any of these companies claiming the music been verified as owning the music? Or are they just sham companies setup and taking advantage of Youtube's crappy system?
    At least one company who were selling music for videos had to get on to Youtube and reclaim their music back from a bogus company. This now forces them to have to manually work through every claim to white flag all the people who paid them for the music in the first place going back over 5 years. The company is obviously very impressed by youtube for the additional work given to them to help their paying customers to actually use the music they already paid for...

Well, I'm pretty much 100% sure some of them are sham companies as about 2 years back I had a video claimed by a sham company that was claiming on others too. It took YT about 6 months to stop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ads will appear and other people will make money off your video, whether the claim is legit or not and disregarding how much of the content is yours.

I thinking of switching to Youtube for Live steaming of Pats matches. Worried about background match night music.

not sure this affects me as i dont care about the money, its youtube having a better infrastructure than usteam that im interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yes, if I remember correctly Ubisoft were telling anyone getting a claim from a particular Music Library (I forget the name) to send them on the email as it was the music library that Ubisoft uses with at least some games and they'd sort it out for effected people, though it might take some time.

Looked like a legit claim on content that caught in the net things that weren't meant to be caught? I don't know the details of it obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

So why isn't the Internet going after these music companies to resolve claims?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    So why isn't the Internet going after these music companies to resolve claims?

The only people that can really do that are the copyright holders, and in some cases they are.

Google could too but as per usual their press releases on the topic have been head in the sand mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Some of these companies are working on behalf of a company or groups of companies and are legit. But only some of them. A lot of them are sham companies set up to basically steal money. They claim something, youtube diverts revenue to them. They usually have zero copyright claims but because it takes six months to sort the mess out, they make their money so it works.

They are basically the youtube version of gold farmers. It's a complete travesty that youtube allows this sort of thing. It's embarrassing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Disputing claims from some company for background music on 2 videos, UGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Good article from Giantbomb detailing one of the more bizarre situations this ****ed up policy has made happen and displays the core issue here that a lot of people in the copyright lobby simply cannot grasp why someone would want their content to not be monetised and instead used freely by anyone

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-youtube-snake-is-eating-itself/1100-4815/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The sooner there will be alternative to youtube the better it will be. Youtube was always great, always loved, always wanted. The problem is when such things get bigger and bigger they start just being thier own downfall by making stupid decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

A good video on whole ****storm

Advertisement