Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roll Up, Roll Up, the Queen is in the hot seat!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

last two men on earth,,oisin or kandikane?
    dark choc or white choc brownies?
    ballyer or purtobello?
    did u have a bebo or myspace acc?
    which one of the inbetweeners are u most like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When are you going to start drinking real beer?

Pffft....coors light IS real beer. Bloody beer snobs. :P

P.s thanks for reminding me I can't even drink Coors anymore :(
    Any gossip from the A/R Xmas beers that could be shared here? :pac:

I didn't go. Wish I had though, nothing like a bit of scandal!
    If Santa could leave one piece of gear under the tree, what would it be?

A garmin/polar hybrid watch that combines all the best features of each.
    Failing that a garmin swim will do.
    Any swim events you would particularly like to do?

Waikiki Roughwater Swim http://www.wrswim.com/ or the Manhattan Marathon Swim http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2402 it'd take me about 3 days but still :D
    Favourite post-race treat?
    Burger and chips with a pint ( :( )
    Got any good cake recipes you'd like to share?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86054529&postcount=2

pconn062 wrote: »
    What are your running PB's?

They're all crap!
    3K 11:45
    5K 20:09
    4 miles 26:02
    5 miles - can't remember 34:xx
    10K - 44:55
    10 miles 70:31
    HM - 1:38:xx officially, took a few minutes off that in the Midland 14.4 mile halm marathon in 2012 :mad:
    Marathon - 3:39:57

Haven't done a road race, while fit in 6 months...dreading the return to racing.

If you had one year to train, what do you think you could run for 10k?

After running the 26 mins in Dunboyne in March I reckoned I could go low 42s. 10K focused training, everything going to plan, lets say 38:4x
    What is your favourite distance?

Half marathon, short enough to still need to go fast but long enough to feed the endurance monster
    Favourite/least favourite session?
    I have a love/hate relationship with hill sessions. I actually enjoy
    them and in races I tackle them well but never feel like I give hill sessions enough effort in training. Maybe thats why I enjoy them so much. :D but it's frustrating to feel as if you should be getting more out of them and not being sure how to do it.

Long runs are currently my least favourite run session. To make my replies to you somwehat T/D/M realated, I'll say turbo sessions, or any kind, so horrendously boring.
    How do you chill out in the evening?
    On the couch with either a book or the 3DS playing super mario or donkey kong (I'm a big kid at heart :D )
    Which do you prefer, runner men or triathlete men?
    Hate to say it, triathelete men (in general) are better looking. I'm happy to do a full on perving survey at my next race to ensure that this is still the case.

*shakes fist at the hoochie for asking my question*

Anyway how long can you hold a side plank leg raised after reading this? :D

*Note to self do plank and side plank this evening.*

Never tried anything more than 30 seconds I don't think. The pressure is on for tonight.
    Most famous person you have met?
    Dory Dory ;)
    Next to her it'd probably be Keith Duffy...I don't think you guys would consider Leeds players as 'famous'
    Can you do a moonwalk?
    Jesus no, I can barely walk forwards without mishap, imagine trying a moonwalk. :eek:
    Favourite running conditions?
    Cold and calm with a bit of rain.
    Will you be the top SBR hoochie this year? :)
    Looks like it'll be tight...my lack of cycling could lose it for me. Running and swimming will be increasing but that won't improve my position. Once Izoard doesn't beat me it'll soften the blow if Oryx nabs it (or is dory planning a 31st December update?!)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    HI RQ!!!:)

Why did you name your bikes William and Richard?

Some may say willy and dick for short... :)
    Favorite show on the telly?

I've always been into crime things...CSI and Criminal Minds are what I'd always record to make sure I don't miss.
    Can you swim butterfly for 25 meters?

Lol...nope. We're lucky I can do front crawl. Imagine be trying that, it'd be a disaster.
    What swim toys do you own?

2 x pull buoy ( 1 normal and 1 big buoy), kick board, fins and paddles...my paddles are brutal though, need to get better ones.
    Do you like how chlorine smells on your skin?

Chlorine is like the best perfume ever, right?
    Any superstitions or rituals before or during a race?

I have a two song playlist I usually listen to on loop before running races. R Kelly's 'The Worlds Greatest' and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuMyUh26twQ
    Do you prefer the atmosphere at triathlons or running races? And what are the differences in the two?

Triathlons have to be better. There's a much more upbeat, friendly atmosphere at triathlons. Random strangers will have a full blown chat with you as if they've known you for years. Try that on a run start line and you'll either get a look as if you're insane or you'll be ignore as they can't hear you because they've got headphones in.
    Startline or run races is just a lot more serious. Maybe it mirrors why I'm more relaxed going into tris than I would be going into a run race.
    What sports did you play as a kid? And when did you get into running? And how did you get into triathlon?

Was very good at football (soccer) for a girl anyway in primary school and really enjoyed it, played every day. Took up basketball when I started in secondary school and absolutely loved it. Probably the only sport I really excelled in, I moved schools for my leaving cert and never really played much again. I would give up everything I do now to play basketball at a decent level agian. Picked up a basketball in a sports shop a few weeks ago and my heart melted. Sadly as I stopped growing before all the other girls it made coaches show no interest in me anytime I've tried to go back, I was the one who was always double teamed and who'd mark the best player on the other team off the court, you can't tell someone who doesn't know anything about you that though. As a sport to play it is my one true love. :(

Played soccer again for one season (u16's) at the end of my basketball career and won the league...there wasn't really anything more for girls here then so didn't play that competitvely again.
    Then I stopped doing any sort of sport for a couple of years until I picked up running at 19.

kingQuez, Iozard and Jackyback bullied me into doing a triathlon(mostly kQ). Bastards. I curse them when I'm having my regular meltdowns in the swimming pool.
    If you were on the Dating Game (game where you would be the bachelorette, and would be given a choice of three bachelors whom you could talk to, but could not see....and after asking them a series of questions, you get to chose one to go on a date with), and if the three bachelors (whom you could not see and whom you would not know) were Kurt, Izoard, and Jackyback, which one do you think you'd pick and why?

I'm sure myself and Kurt would have some sort of arguement before it came to picking...so JB or Izoard...Izoard's running exploits might win me over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'm sure myself and Kurt would have some sort of arguement before it came to picking...so JB or Izoard...Izoard's running exploits might win me over.

Excellent - Not only do I win against The Hobbit and Dear Leader, but presumably we get an all-expenses day out to Bray or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Izoard wrote: »
    Excellent - Not only do I win against The Hobbit and Dear Leader, but presumably we get an all-expenses day out to Bray or some such?

And luggage!!!! I think you win SamsoIte luggage too!!! :D

mossym wrote: »
    all the females in a row. who'd have thunk it..:)
    so, RQ:
    biggest change in training for next year?

I've recently made changes to run and swim training which are starting to show progress now. So hopefully once I stick to it, it'll show in my results. Probably won't make any other changes to training now unless I do something crazy like starting to cycle or something.
    why the focus on Austria?

Just based on race reports I guess. Plus it seems easy enough to travel to which is a bonus for lazy RQ.
    What's your biggest fear( not specific to sport)

A commited relationship :pac:
    Proudest moment in sport?
    My first Connemara Ultra...my aunt was my inspiration for taking up running and had been due to travel to the race with me but was too ill. Remembering how proud she was of what I did and one of her last coherent sentences(or many of them because she kept asking :D ) before she passed away was to ask how my race went.

You just made me cry. I hope you're happy. :P

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hey RQ

What do you work at?

Currently doing IT support full time...and still doing a bit of sports therapy part time. Opened my own clinic a couple of years ago but had to give it up when I got sick. One of the reasons for doing it was to help facilitate a career change anyway so it fulfilled its purpose I guess.
    How many sports clubs (tri, run, etc) are you a member of?

One run (Donore Harriers), one Tri (Pulse)...do some swimming with another tri club and some running with another run club though. Have considered joining a cycling club, thought I'd never rediscover a love of running during the summer so almost became a cyclist. Thank god that didn't happen. :D
    What's your favourite race?
    Connemara Ultra...the ultra is the only race I've done in Connemara and I absolutely love it. Hard to describe why but there's something really 'special' about it.

BOTE is far and away my favourite of the triathlons I've done.
    What would be your death row meal?

Since I can't eat gluten anymore would definitely be a huge burger with a proper burger bund and chips. With a side serving of breaded chicken. And a beer.
    Will you be training Christmas day?

Of course. I'll do a 40 - 60 minute easy run. Then go home and make the Christmas morning fry up. :D
    Could you survive without social media?

I'd suffer twitter withdrawal for a few days but I'm confident I'd get through it.
    Have you a nemesis for the upcoming season?
    There's one guy in the club who I don't want to see overtake me in swim and run...that'd kill me and a couple of girls I'm targetting yeah. One nemesis just isn't enough!

Oryx wrote: »
    Will we ever race against each other???
    Will we ever race against each other? :)

Wait till I'm not fat, slow and unfit and then maybe I'll suck it up and race yee ;)
    Bates, Ridsdale, O'Leary.

Order in which you'd push them off a cliff, and why?

I'd consdier letting O'Leary live...he played with what he given. But, I'd like to strike fear into Bates and Riddler by letting them watch O'Leary go down. :pac:

How could I choose between those two bastards? Both dragged the club down in different ways, I wouldn't want Bates to stay on the edge of the cliff too long, give him too much time to try and sue me. Make hold hands and push them off together.
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    last two men on earth,,oisin or kandikane?

Unfair question. How could a girl choose between two strappingly handsome perfect gentlemen like Oisin and Ken. :confused:
    dark choc or white choc brownies?

Dark choc
    ballyer or purtobello?

Portobello....never thought I'd 'settle' in Ballyer though. The bonus of this kip is being so near the Phoenix Park. I don't think I'd ever have started all this crazy crap if I still lived in the Bello...I had no friends in Ballyer so had nothing better to do with my time.
    did u have a bebo or myspace acc?

I had both. Neither exist anymore so no stalking.
    which one of the inbetweeners are u most like?
    Probably Will :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Favourite distance in running?

Favourite distance in triathlon?

Swim set you dread the most?

Your best/favourite Leeds XI since you started watching them? You can pick and choose from different teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

You just made me cry. I hope you're happy. :P

if anyone ever asked me my superpower, it'd be the ability to make women cry with absolutely zero intention to do so.

Sorry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What changes have you made to your swim & run training?
    What sort of improvements are you seeing?
    Favourite all time Leeds player?
    How many pairs of runners have you?
    Favourite pair of runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You been to Elland Road? If so, many times and most memorable one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Sorry if these have been asked but I haven't seen them yet so..

1 - Race Calendar for 2014 with preference races?

2 - How many hours are you training on average per week and split by discipline?

3 - Will you complete the 5 x NS races next year?

4 - Xmas Dessert - Trifle, Xmas Pud or other (choc biscuit cake... ;) )

5 - You joined Pulse for the colours too right? :D

6 - Have you tried the ON runners yet? Cause I know you've got every other pair?!

7 - Favourite session and why? (any discipline).

8 - Current 400m TT PB?

9 - Gideon or Rossi?

10 - Any particular long term goal in any discipline/sport? i.e you mention sub 3:20 mara, would that be main aim? or do an ironman? Another Ultra? Etc.

1) Favourite Christmas song?
    2) Boyband-of-choice, back in the day?
    3) Last gig you went to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Reading between the lines, she clearly fancies me and is using you as a decoy.

Reading between the lines, she clearly fancies me and is using you as a decoy.

This could be a 2-man job, JB....

You can be my wingman, anytime...:)

Favourite distance in running?

Half marathon. The perfect mix of speed and endurance, plus it's probably my best distance. Generally I do better at HM than I expect to.
    Favourite distance in triathlon?

I've only done sprint and olympic. Definitely prefer olympic. Sprint is over too quickly
    Swim set you dread the most?
    15 - 20 x 100m. Speed is not my friend.
    Your best/favourite Leeds XI since you started watching them? You can pick and choose from different teams.

Martyn
    Mills
    Radebe
    Matteo
    Dorigo
    Batty
    Derry
    Speed
    Dacourt
    Hulse
    Healy

Ross McCormack though...quickly becoming the new love of my Leeds teams :D
    What changes have you made to your swim & run training?

What sort of improvements are you seeing?

It's a secret ;)

I'm swimming with Mr. Tango on Mondays. Was long, long overdue a change to swim training/coaching but wasn't able to make it. Just nothing else suited...I've a lot of work to do to look less like a female but faster Jackyback in the pool but can definitely feel the difference myself already. I was really pissed off with swimming at the time, have been going backwards this year which is incredibly frustrating. Still going to club swims on Friday's as I'd just paid for a block but am having regular meltdowns in those sessions, it now REALLY bothers me when I know my stroke has gone to complete sh*t and I don't really see the point in pushing through a session when I can't get the technique feeling right. What's the point in doing 5 x 200 and staying on someones toes if your stroke is all wrong? Waste of energy.

Running the same I've made a change to the coaching and now doing a different type of training to what I've been used to...no difference yet but thats due to my lack of run fitness more than anything.
    Favourite all time Leeds player?

John Charles. Waaaaaay before my time, but what an incredible player and a very inspiring man.
    How many pairs of runners have you?

I have no idea anymore :o
    Would say it's pushing on 30 now, in fairness many of them haven't been worn in a long time but I haven't gotten round to getting rid of them yet.
    Favourite pair of runners?

Saucony Fastwitch....once upon a time they were my speed work only shoes. Now they're my marathon shoe. :eek:
    You been to Elland Road? If so, many times and most memorable one?

Yep, have been loads of times. Few years ago I was going twice a month.
    Best one, I've been to not at ER but the sheer elation on seeing us actually score...
    http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/05-04-2003%20Charlton%20Athletic%20v%20LUFC.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sounds like you've been "coached" by several different running and swimming coaches, so, which coach has been the most productive/effective for you (and why), OR (if you'd rather not name names) what qualities in the coach/coaching have been most productive/effective for you?

What kind of coach would you be?

Tell me about your "dream date". Who, what, where, when, why?

Do heights bother you?

Do you like roller coasters?

Bambaata and Fazz....head to head in (you insert the distance here) tri. Which one brings you more pleasure to watch? And which one is your money on to win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Which part of Ballyer are you living in, the posh part or the rough end? :D I grew up in the posh end :pac:

Fazz wrote: »
    Sorry if these have been asked but I haven't seen them yet so..

1 - Race Calendar for 2014 with preference races?

3 - Will you complete the 5 x NS races next year?

I'm pretty much looking at trying to get everything done by the end of June, depending on how my run plans turn out. Would like to target cross country season next year since I've missed it this year so would need to start pumping running up by August at the latest.

Nothing firm yet but most of what I'm thinking is NS...gotta hold on to my Pulse crown :)
    3D sprint
    Lough Cutra or Athy Olympic
    Crooked Lake
    Hook or By Crook
    HOTW (maybe depending on how much bike time I do)
    Entered Caroline Kearney this year and didn't do it so would like to do that and would like to do BOTE again but I've just seen that's on Sept 13th.

2 - How many hours are you training on average per week and split by discipline?

Swim probably 3 - 4 hours
    Bike - last two weeks 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds(unless you count my spin to the shop) the normal (commuting not included) would be a max of four hours. Haven't been out for a long spin since October and that wasn't even long.
    Run - about 6 - 7 hours
    4 - Xmas Dessert - Trifle, Xmas Pud or other (choc biscuit cake... ;) )

Would normally be Xmas pud, made by myself of course...but now I'm off gluten I'm throwing together a flourless bouche de noel thing for me and the brother in law(the nutter doesn't like pudding!)
    5 - You joined Pulse for the colours too right? :D

You convinced me because there was less red in it than there used to be. Was less than impressed when it was confirmed they were picked because they're Man U colours! :eek:
    6 - Have you tried the ON runners yet? Cause I know you've got every other pair?!

Nope...have been tempted but I'm not one to follow trends! Still tempted mind...
    7 - Favourite session and why? (any discipline).

I like the fast run sessions...12 x 600m or 20 x 300m
    8 - Current 400m TT PB?

7:14 from a couple of weeks ago. Didn't see myself bettering my pb that day so was pretty shocked...sub 7 finally becomes a target.
    9 - Gideon or Rossi?

Gideon
    10 - Any particular long term goal in any discipline/sport? i.e you mention sub 3:20 mara, would that be main aim? or do an ironman? Another Ultra? Etc.

Sub 85 half marathon within the next few years...Ironman is on the radar somewhere but probably not as close as I would have thought. No interest in just doing one want to do well once I get there so would like to have at least one HIM focused season in the bag before stepping up.

Sounds like you've been "coached" by several different running and swimming coaches, so, which coach has been the most productive/effective for you (and why), OR (if you'd rather not name names) what qualities in the coach/coaching have been most productive/effective for you?

I've never had my own personal coach. From group swims I'm on the third swim coach, the first worked well for me but then stopped coaching with the club. Some of the stuff pointed out to me now was been pointed out by him also 2 years ago. :( He taught me how to actually swim compared to the crap I'd been doing on my own and is a brilliant coach.
    The second has been there since I started out as well and I really started to improve once taking up the second coached session with just him...but it just wasn't working for me anymore.
    Have only done the Tango sessions for about 2 months so it's early days but I can feel an improvement...and I get frustrated now when I'm doing other swims and I *know* I'm doing it wrong but just can't get it right on the day. Previously, I wouldn't have even noticed and would have kept windmilling away. So there is definite improvemet there already (plus I somehow managed to do a 7:14 400m when I thought I'd be much closer to 8 mins based on current fitness)

Running, again never had specific coaching as such. The club coaching is very generic. You do the same session as everyone else is doing whether they run for fitness, 5ks, half marathon or marathon...just some people do more reps than others (the 5k girls could do more than the marathon girls!). Work circumtances changed and I couldn't really go to training anymore so I'm following a more structured, invidual plan now. I got kinda frustrated with my club runs because I was leading out or two of us were leading most runs and didn't really see the point of that...I need someone to chase.
    Also, had a bad time after London...the body gave in between work changes, work being crazy busy etc and I wasn't able to train much so then ended up behind people who used to be way behind me. Not good when morale is already low.
    What kind of coach would you be?
    A do as I say, not as I do kinda coach. :cool:
    I've helped people with marathon training and one of the guys went sub 3 from 3:40 in his Autumn marathon..if only I could train myself to do the same :D
    Tell me about your "dream date". Who, what, where, when, why?

A trip out on a boat to go shark diving. Shark diving is one of my bucket list things. He can take me for a picnic on the beach after that.
    Since I wake up in Ireland every day...I suppose ice skating and a hot chocolate. Followed by a beer or two would have to do. :D

Has to be Rob Hulse, just for this...

52187525-rob-hulse-of-leeds-united-is-congratulated-by-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QOhDM7RAMSLzzfZvVDz6fmnXgk7biFew13OIPRfmogWTbGHAzoO8zmNy8OAr0Hf4TA%3D%3D

...the picture and for providing an amazing day. Mostly for what you see in the picture though ;)
    Do heights bother you?

Nope...don't mind heights..I'd love to go up in a hot air balloon. Maybe I should change my dream date?!
    Do you like roller coasters?

Have never been on one!
    Bambaata and Fazz....head to head in (you insert the distance here) tri. Which one brings you more pleasure to watch? And which one is your money on to win?

Ooooh....how can you choose? I'm thinking that over HIM distance Fazz would nab it. Have you guys ever raced each other?
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Which part of Ballyer are you living in, the posh part or the rough end? :D I grew up in the posh end :pac:

I don't know which is the posh part and which is rough. Though since when I turn the corner at the end of my road I end up in Cherry Orchard, I will assume that I live in the rough end....that and ultraman grew up around the corner from where I live now, he is defo not posh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I don't know which is the posh part and which is rough. Though since when I turn the corner at the end of my road I end up in Cherry Orchard, I will assume that I live in the rough end

You assume correctly ;) Now I'm scared of you. I grew up in the leafier part near Inchicore; where we had running water, electricity and colour TV :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

griffin100 wrote: »
    You assume correctly ;) Now I'm scared of you. I grew up in the leafier part near Inchicore; where we had running water, electricity and colour TV :D

Rq,ur defo in d posh part,sure d bleedin ranch isnt even in ballyer,

1) Favourite Christmas song?

Not officially a christmas song maybe...

2) Boyband-of-choice, back in the day?

Boyzone. I was mad for Boyzone. Had all the books, videos and t-shirts...think I wore a Boyzone t-shirt every day. Cringey.
    3) Last gig you went to?

The Notifications in The Point about a month ago. Never actually heard of them but the ticket was free. :D

I'm not really into going to gigs...I listen to a lot of old school stuff stuff The Clash, The Jam, Ramones etc so they don't do gigs anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What scares you?
    Have you ever taken a selfie?
    Did you have a teddy bear when you were young?
    Favourite sports brand and why?

Advertisement