Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant for Raclette?

Options
  • 11-12-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a raclette (made for us) in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've had raclette several times in restaurants over here in Switz, but nothing beats having it at home. Generally, restaurant raclette is usually cheese, spuds, gherkins & pickled onions, & one or two raclette spice mixes.

When we have raclette at home we chuck sausages, rashers, sliced garlic & onions onto the grill. We'd also have several different cheeses & spice mixes. Not to mention some good white wine & a couple of properly prepared glasses of absinthe to finish it off.

Moved to Dublin City as the locals may be better able to advise you on suitable restaurants in Dublin.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

yeah we've made it at home before but i'm wondering if there's anyone doing it in Dublin. Potatoes+Cheese=Business Success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aldi or Lidl (not sure which) were selling Raclette grills a few weeks ago in their special buy thingy, could still be a few floating around in store, worth a look.

But the grill. buy a few cheeses and some meats, potatoes, pickled veggies, etc and a few nice bottles of while and go mad at home.

I recommend using something like Reblochon as well as Raclette.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

Hi
    I've a Raceltte grill gatherin dust that I'd be willing to part with to free to anyone willing to collect it from Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

teecee74 wrote: »
    Hi
    I've a Raceltte grill gatherin dust that I'd be willing to part with to free to anyone willing to collect it from Dublin city centre.
    PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

but where can we get raclette cheese?? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

peteb2 wrote: »
    but where can we get raclette cheese?? :(

This site http://frenchfoodieindublin.blogspot.ie/2012/10/raclette-party-time.html suggests Sheridan's or Fallon and Byrne's, but I'd have a look in some Aldi and LIDL too.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I have seen Raclette Cheese in Sheridan's Cheesemongers in Galway once but it cost an arm and a leg. I haven't seen in in Fallon and Byrnes yet. I don't have a raclette oven but use the grill in the kitchen and does the trick, but it's not a great once you have more than 2 people.

I get to Switzerland once in a while and bring the cheese back with me, you need the proper raclette cheese for it, anything else is meh.

Open a swiss restaurant? They know lots of delicious food and I would be a good customer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Seaneh wrote: »
    ... I recommend using something like Reblochon ...
    That sounds terrible!

Reblochon is too good a cheese to be melted onto spuds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That sounds terrible!

Reblochon is too good a cheese to be melted onto spuds.

That's the way it's most commonly eaten in Haute Savoie...

Never had Tartiflette??!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Seaneh wrote: »
    Never had Tartiflette??!?!?!
    Never did. Many's the time I saw it on menus, but there always seemed to be something more appealing. Didn't realise that they used Reblochon in it.

I'd be willing to go to Savoie and tell them that cooking with their cheese is a bad idea. That's what Gruyère is for (because I don't care that much for Raclette).

A well-ripened Reblochon is a great table cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

magills in clarendon street sells it and it's a hell of a lot nicer than the one sold in sheridan's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

superquinn have the cheese too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

:confused:
    teecee74 wrote: »
    Hi

joeperry wrote: »
    superquinn have the cheese too.

Are you sure its raclette? I've been looking every time I'm in there and they never have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

peteb2 wrote: »
    Are you sure its raclette? I've been looking every time I'm in there and they never have it!

According to the Superquinn online shopping site they have French Raclette Riches Monts at the horrendous price of €26 per kg.

Here in Switz you would generally budget for 500g of cheese per person. Not that that price though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

got it in fallon and byrne, went down a treat, 28 euro for 1.5kg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

I know it's a bit of a trek but the traditional cheese company out near the Red Cow sell it. http://www.traditionalcheese.ie/

Dunnes in Swords had it last week. €15 a kilo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement