Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaid electric meters

Options
  • 11-12-2013 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

family member was left a house and pays esb bills. he doesn't live in this house but other family members use the house for about 14 weeks per year year. They contribute nothing for electric usage as they feel they are entitled to stay in this house as it was the old family home.

He is thinking of installing meter. I know he will be paying extra standing charge but they will have to pay standing charge and usage while in house.

Does this sound like the best option for him? At the moment his bills are approx 120 for 2 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Absolutely, get in the pre pay, let them pay their own electric.
    I don't know about the extra charges you mentioned. It think it works out the same as the esb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Seems like a great idea.

Few things, its a 12 month contract minimum.

Its 37c extra per month.

If there is a call out about the meter then you will be charged, the charges are on the websites of both companies.

Just one thing, if the house is usually empty, how will they charge, I mean, you will have to keep credit in it to cover the standing charges per month even though you are not using electricity at all.

Its not that you can put no money in and just top up for 14 weeks and pay nothing for the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I haven't worked out the sums on it but I'd have a feeling that you'd pay as much ADDITIONAL standing charge for the 38 weeks as they'd use electricity for the 14 (unless they hog it ) so I'd be looking at some other solution to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - let's try the Electrical forum

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Its 37c extra per month.
    It's 37c extra per day!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you have the option of installing a card meter or a coin meter.
    In this instance, a coin meter would be better as the persons staying in the house will have to pay as they go.
    With a card meter, a ''landlord'' holds onto the master card and dishes out the electricity cards to the tennents and charges them for the cards accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's 37c extra per day!

Sorry of course, 37c per day , doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If they don't pay their way, change the locks. Sorted. This type of leeching and sense of entitlement boils my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

hollytrees wrote: »
    family member was left a house and pays esb bills. he doesn't live in this house but other family members use the house for about 14 weeks per year year. They contribute nothing for electric usage as they feel they are entitled to stay in this house as it was the old family home.

He is thinking of installing meter. I know he will be paying extra standing charge but they will have to pay standing charge and usage while in house.

Does this sound like the best option for him? At the moment his bills are approx 120 for 2 months?
    He should install a meter, it is his house, does he know if there are other people staying in the house? 120 euro for 2 months is crazy expensive.

• Advertisement

WikiHow wrote: »
    120 euro for 2 months is crazy expensive.

Not really. I live in a 3 bed semi. We're reasonably careful with the electricity we use and also have gas central heating, which is used for cooking. The leccy bill came in at €220 for 2 months. And we use mostly LED bulbs around the house to save on electricity use.

goz83 wrote: »
    Not really. I live in a 3 bed semi. We're reasonably careful with the electricity we use and also have gas central heating, which is used for cooking. The leccy bill came in at €220 for 2 months. And we use mostly LED bulbs around the house to save on electricity use.
    So you paying 1320 euro average per annum and you happy with that?

WikiHow wrote: »
    So you paying 1320 euro average per annum and you happy with that?

Happy? Didn't suggest I would be happy paying any amount for electricity. But that's the bill and it's a lot less than what others are paying around me. My dad lives in a 2 bed apartment with his partner. They never use the heating because the place is so well insulated. They do have an electric oven and hob. Their bill is usually around €180 and that's with half the place kitted with LED bulbs.

If anyone else thinks my bill is excessive for a 3 bed semi with 2 adults and 4 kids and the house occupied most of the day (gas heating), let me know. Maybe I should look into bringing it down further.

My esb bill for the year would be 600 on average, keep the thirsty appliances usage to a minimum. The dryer and immersion was a big factor one time which i try and avoid using.

Advertisement