Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭44thservice

I can't get over the line up for saturday :( its so so so bad compared to what it was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Saturday at least has Disclosure and CHRVCHES. Friday is appalling, and Ben Howard headlining is a disgrace.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Saturday at least has Disclosure and CHRVCHES. Friday is appalling, and Ben Howard headlining is a disgrace.

and disclosure isn't?

and disclosure isn't?

Disclosure headlined EP last year, and have been very high up lineups like Glasto and Coachella. They're coming off the back of a critically and commercially successful debut album, and have fans as diverse as Noel Gallagher, Daft Punk and Calvin Harris. Why would it be a disgrace that they're headlining, they're a decent booking for any festival?

Ben Howard on the other hand, would be on at 3 in the day at most festivals. He's a nothing booking, shouldn't be anywhere near headliner-status. He wouldn't headline a small stage at EP.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Disclosure headlined EP last year, and have been very high up lineups like Glasto and Coachella. They're coming off the back of a critically and commercially successful debut album, and have fans as diverse as Noel Gallagher, Daft Punk and Calvin Harris. Why would it be a disgrace that they're headlining, they're a decent booking for any festival?

Ben Howard on the other hand, would be on at 3 in the day at most festivals. He's a nothing booking, shouldn't be anywhere near headliner-status. He wouldn't headline a small stage at EP.

I will agree Ben Howard has played Ireland a lot over the last 2 years or so but have included sold out shows each time including Belsonic in Belfast . To say he wouldnt even headline a small stage at EP is wrong . If he ever did play EP he would be either headline 2nd stage or 2nd or 3rd on last on main stage . Also subbed Mumford and Sons in Pheonix Park last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

he played EP the year before last, and was on in the late afternoon/early evening in the Electric Arena which was half-full at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

will there be any more big acts announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Ben Howard isn't a "nothing booking", if you don't like his music - grand, but don't bother labelling him that.

He played the Pyramid stage in Glasto last year along with the likes of Artic Monkeys, The Rolling Stones, Primal Scream, Nick Cave etc....Ben Howard's debut was also critically acclaimed and was commercially successful. He was the first act to sell-out Belsonic - keep in mind NIN played Belsonic last year.

Ben Howard's a headliner, get over it. Just re-hashing the same argument over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

alleystar wrote: »
    Ben Howard isn't a "nothing booking", if you don't like his music - grand, but don't bother labelling him that.

He played the Pyramid stage in Glasto last year along with the likes of Artic Monkeys, The Rolling Stones, Primal Scream, Nick Cave etc....Ben Howard's debut was also critically acclaimed and was commercially successful. He was the first act to sell-out Belsonic - keep in mind NIN played Belsonic last year.

Ben Howard's a headliner, get over it. Just re-hashing the same argument over and over again.

I finally cottoned on to who he was over the weekend and I like him, a lot but would I like him to be the last headline act of the day. Not really. Would love to see him in the likes of the Olympia sat down and chilling but I wouldn't be leaving Longy on a high. Thats all. Prefer to go out with a Pow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mr.S wrote: »
    The only bad thing about them headlining is that they headlined a major festival here less then 12 months ago.

There's lots of bad things about them headlining.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    There's lots of bad things about them headlining.
    Ah. For the man that is unable to argue his case, there is always vague statements! :rolleyes:

fans as diverse as Noel Gallagher, Daft Punk and Calvin Harris

Diverse :confused:

Im not a fan of ben howard but to say he's a nothing act along with your 'diverse' statement is making me continue to question the crowd that this line up has attracted this year.

It seems hype,marketing and major pr work is the tract of success.My same argument with arctic monkeys, i don't agree with where they are now and how they got there but their first two albums are great albums. but they go from almost no touring with promotion of their latest release to the massive hype they have and like you said, headlining and being very high up on a platform like glasto. I don't agree with this at all.Look at foals, they are in the same bracket and AM, they have toured both extensively and continuously with all their albums etc and where they are now is due to them working at it and being there in peoples view constantly rather that being marketed,hyped and placed in people view !! same thing with disclosure!! They are a pop act, they don't make house music , they make pop music thats 'dans' music , thy eventually had the balls to say them selves through all the stick they were gutting from actually producers/artists an acts that were calling them out with what they do. Iv seem them 5 times , and twice doing soundcheck.Iv seen their set up and what they have in their live gear, They do not play live!!! Triggering a sample every 4/8/16 bars or playing a synth fill in a break or chorus is not playing live!!! The lad that plays bass has his levels below the backing track and mumbles when he's suppose to be singing!

A lot of people a fooled by the above and still protest that they play live and are brilliant act that are worthy of their slots, but the amount of artists and electronic producers that call them out is beyond funny :) and I'm not talking about idiotic people just saying they are sh*t and thats that. People who actually back up their statements with full on detail and explanations with valid arguments

Ben howard has been both critically acclaimed and commercially successful with his Every kingdom album. so your reference to detail seems to be uneducated based on your remark about being a nothing act :)

Type that again, this time in English.

Ben Howard's a nothing act, and the fact that people are saying him supporting Mumford and Sons is proof he isn't only confirms that. Music for people that don't like music.
    Foals are having to work harder than AM or Disclosure because they don't write big hit singles or tap into a viable market. Talking about hype and marketing as a reason for an electronic bands success is nonsense, that only works for pop bands where people are fooled by big appearance on TV, in magazines etc into buying into the next big thing. Disclosure tapped into a market that was assumed to not exist, and now plenty are following (Keisza literally just rode that wave to number 1) it's nothing to do with how they were marketed. That's pure Pretention on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Type that again, this time in English.

Ben Howard's a nothing act, and the fact that people are saying him supporting Mumford and Sons is proof he isn't only confirms that. Music for people that don't like music.
    Foals are having to work harder than AM or Disclosure because they don't write big hit singles or tap into a viable market. Talking about hype and marketing as a reason for an electronic bands success is nonsense, that only works for pop bands where people are fooled by big appearance on TV, in magazines etc into buying into the next big thing. Disclosure tapped into a market that was assumed to not exist, and now plenty are following (Keisza literally just rode that wave to number 1) it's nothing to do with how they were marketed. That's pure Pretention on your part.

A nothing act? and then you accuse someone of being pretentious? One of the best male voices around and I wouldn't be what you would call a huge fan, but he's a talented guy.

On Foals, as a big Foals fan I don't know what you mean about writing big hit singles, 'My Number' from their last album was their biggest attempt to write a catchy single in their whole career.

So your saying an electronic band can't be marketed and hyped too much for success, only pop bands? That's pretty much nonsense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

The whole hipper than thou argument that has taken over this thread has got fairly boring to read at this stage..

Thankfully, everyone doesn't have the same taste in music, so stop trying to convince other people that you're right and they're wrong..

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So, looking at the lineup below, given that most of the bands are unknown to me does anyone have any album recommendations? :)

LONGITUDE%202014.jpg

most of them only have the one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

awec wrote: »
    So, looking at the lineup below, given that most of the bands are unknown to me does anyone have any album recommendations? :)

Bonobo - Black Sands / The North Borders

amazing albums. absolute unmissable act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

most of them only have the one anyway

Ha, very fair!

Mezzanine by Massive Attack is by definition the best album that's there really. I've really enjoyed listening to Sam Smith, but I don't even think he has an album... :pac:

I've really been enjoying First Aid Kit. Lovely sunshine music.

• Advertisement

announcement!!

Hi guys,
    We have some big ‪#‎Longitude‬ news coming up after the May bank holiday weekend.
    On Tuesday 6th May we’ll be announcing the full line up for this summers festival along with day by day breakdown.
    We have over 30 new acts to announce that are guaranteed to get you excited for the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Mince Pie wrote: »
    announcement!!

Hi guys,
    We have some big ‪#‎Longitude‬ news coming up after the May bank holiday weekend.
    On Tuesday 6th May we’ll be announcing the full line up for this summers festival along with day by day breakdown.
    We have over 30 new acts to announce that are guaranteed to get you excited for the summer!

Headliners?

Headliners?

One would hope that in the 30 new acts to be announced there would be a few.
    Really need to pull their socks up to match last years line up.

Headliners have already been confirmed

Im hoping for foals , calvin harris, james blake, breach, kasabien, marc de marco, wavves , lorde , chance the rapper, fingers crossed

Im hoping for foals , calvin harris, james blake, breach, kasabien, marc de marco, wavves , lorde , chance the rapper, fingers crossed

Foals doing EP
    Calvin Harris no hope
    Kasabian are already doing a mini tour next month

Not real suggestions, he's just acting the maggot. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'd like Ladyhawke, Gemma Hayes, I Break Horses, M83 and QotSA.

I'd like Ladyhawke, Gemma Hayes, I Break Horses, M83 and QotSA.

I'd love for M83 to be added to the lineup too but it's not going to happen since they're headliner material, same with QOTSA, unless they rejig the headliners which is highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

Foals doing EP
    Calvin Harris no hope
    Kasabian are already doing a mini tour next month

i was half messing :P

I checked the price for the cork gig , 35 euro :eek:

Advertisement