Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Shedite27 wrote: »
    None of those headliners will grab casual fans the way Vampire Weekend, Phoenix or Kraftwerk did.
    Really? I'd have thought most casual music fans couldn't name a Vampire Weekend or Phoenix song and have probably never heard of Kraftwerk.

Disclosure are pretty big in the charts and although I couldn't name a song by Ben Howard, I'd imagine he gets played all the time on 2fm, TodayFM etc. Nice pleasant middle of the road indie-pop for people who like Ed Sheeran and Kodaline.

Between them, JVMM, HAIM, Bastille and Hozier, I'd say many "casual" music fans will be happy with the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Really surprised at the reaction, the line-up is pretty good IMO. I'd go just to see Ben Howard again. Le Galaxie, JVMM, Chvrches, Hozier, Haim - all really good additions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Really? I'd have thought most casual music fans couldn't name a Vampire Weekend or Phoenix song and have probably never heard of Kraftwerk.

Disclosure are pretty big in the charts and although I couldn't name a song by Ben Howard, I'd imagine he gets played all the time on 2fm, TodayFM etc. Nice pleasant middle of the road indie-pop for people who like Ed Sheeran and Kodaline.

Between them, JVMM, HAIM, Bastille and Hozier, I'd say many "casual" music fans will be happy with the lineup.

Ah now. Lumping Ben Howard in with the likes of Ed Sheeran and Kodaline is a cop out. He's on a completely different level to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Well obviously it's a small sample size, but me myself, would have Vampire Weekend, Phoenix and Local Natives albums this time last year, and knew the hits from Kodaline, Villagers, Hot Chip and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Just searching through my iPhone, I have the JVMcM album, two Bastille songs and one Hozier song. Nothing from the rest of them.

Plenty of time to get into them by July, just wouldn't expect tickets to fly out the door this year with that lineup (especially with no earlybird)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I am happy with the line up personally, although I can see why many wouldn't be happy, there is a lack of any real big acts so far, are people expecting much more announced in another 2 weeks? I didn't go last year but probably will this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Plenty of time to get into them by July, just wouldn't expect tickets to fly out the door this year with that lineup (especially with no earlybird)

It isn't like they flew out the door last year - it only sold out when it was evident there was going to be good weather for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Its an alright line up for starts but does anyone else think its a little bit overpriced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Terrible line up. booking my hotel for primavera as i type from the money saved from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I'm willing to give this lineup a chance but am not overly familiar with many of the artists. Can anyone give any slam dunk songs by any of the artists to get me and people like me on the *insert bandname here* bandwagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'm willing to give this lineup a chance but am not overly familiar with many of the artists. Can anyone give any slam dunk songs by any of the artists to get me and people like me on the *insert bandname here* bandwagon?

Spotify is your friend in this instance. Will list their songs in most played order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Very sh*it!! It's a re-hash of last year's electric picnic. If I'm not mistaken all of the following played EP last year:

Disclosure
    Chvrches
    Hozier
    Sam Smith
    Cyril Hahn
    Le Galaxie

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Maybe MCD have a definitive headliner lined-up. I wouldn't go judging the Latitude line-up because last year the two festivals had different artists and shared not too many, like no Phoenix or VW at Latitude, but no Bloc Party at Longitude.

Interesting to see who plays Forbidden Fruit though, I would have expected Julio Bashmore, Bonobo, Bondax, Le Galaxie, to be at FF, not Longitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

when is Forbidden Fruit going to be announced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

3k9kFYm.jpg

nearly almost of that line up will be forgotten within the next two years and is a casual music hypebeast's wet dream. i literally laughed at that line up and i was disgusted, could not believe you could fit that much crap acts in one festival at the same time without having no mixture or variety, almost all of them are over marketed products and names to me. a festival i dont have to worry about now . bring on forbidden fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

as i live close by i mite go for one day but that day would have to be a scorcher of a day, cos the line up is not great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I hope Le Galaxie get a good billing. They deserve that heineken tent stage at a decent hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Line up's good but how many of those have only released the one album? Quite a few. Disclosure will make for a good headline act I reckon but nobody yet with a decent catalogue behind them compared to Foals, YYY, Vampire Weekend etc last year.

The problem with not having a back catalogue is that you end up with acts repeating their best known hit.
    I'm looking at you Jake Bugg!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Presume 2DCC will be a headliner although that makes i even more similar to EP last year especially with Disclosure

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭garrkell

Longitude Spotify playlist for people --->

http://open.spotify.com/user/garkelleher/playlist/74pwAKkFbbrE0gbaWZCOoN

also, plenty of acts to be announced. expect big things for the next announcement. dont know some of the acts? then go listen to them and stop complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

A V A wrote: »
    nearly almost of that line up will be forgotten within the next two years and is a casual music hypebeast's wet dream. i literally laughed at that line up and i was disgusted, could not believe you could fit that much crap acts in one festival at the same time without having no mixture or variety, almost all of them are over marketed products and names to me. a festival i dont have to worry about now . bring on forbidden fruit
    I don't think crap is the right term - a lot of those acts are fairly tidy, if a little overhyped - but it is incredibly Pitchfork Top 50.

From the point of view of someone who's into electronic music, Disclosure were dull as **** at EP and they'll be dull as **** as Longitude. Sorry, but their music just doesn't work on the main stage. House music is meant to feel full and go right through you. On a big outdoor stage, their sound just gets blown away and it feels very flat and unfunky, like it's being played through set of giant ipod speakers. People who are more used to rock/indie/hip-hop gigs might enjoy it, but if you've been around the dance scene I'd imagine it's likely you'll be left cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

its a casual mainstream music lovers festival, that line up brings oxygen to mind when i look at it , in regards to bookings etc and yes its tidy , tidy chart wise and finically!! to me, Hypebeats that dont have their own taste , and who get their music from blogs who all post the same thing and write about the same artists!! its nonsense , all them do not have a solid set in regards to a back catalogue compared to last years headliners!i think they took the easy route and booked who were the obvious choice and who were hyped and relevant at the moment , and basically played it safe to get people in !!!

My eyes hurt after reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Agree with a lot of the comments here, too much safe radio ****e for me. Wouldn't mind CHVRCHES but sure they have their own gig coming up soon.

Dunno if I'd trust myself not to chuck a brick at those Bastille twats either.

Aw I really wanted to see Bastille until I heard rhythm is a dancer the other day on the radio. Done a bit of a u turn on that now. Awful crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

A lot less appealing for me personally compared to last year. Add to that the fact the tickets are €20 more expensive due to the lack of early bird offer, and it's just not looking like I'll bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Wasnt the original announcement that MCD would reveal the lineup on the 24th and tickets on sale the follwing Friday the 31st??

Now they are saying second announcement on the 6th and tickets on sale the 7th of Feb.

Now with the Arctic Monkeys gig announced today does anyone else get the impression MCD are intentionally holding back some of the headliners so they can shift as many tickets as possible for that gig before Longitude potentially cuts into the sales?

lc180 wrote: »
    Wasnt the original announcement that MCD would reveal the lineup on the 24th and tickets on sale the follwing Friday the 31st??

Now they are saying second announcement on the 6th and tickets on sale the 7th of Feb.

Now with the Arctic Monkeys gig announced today does anyone else get the impression MCD are intentionally holding back some of the headliners so they can shift as many tickets as possible for that gig before Longitude potentially cuts into the sales?

yeah looks like it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

John Talabot and Bonobo are worth the admission price alone for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Do we expect this to sell out in a few hours, as the line up is pretty good: Disclosure, Bonobo, Julio bashmore, Churches, Sam Smith... all good.
    Shame its a tad expensive as youve seen those acts around the country in smaller places for a fraction of the cost over the past 24 months.

Is there going to be more added also?

Advertisement