Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Do we expect this to sell out in a few hours.
    Not a hope.

Lineup isn't as good as last year, there is no early bird pricing available, and it clashes with The National.

Unless they have a big announcement on the 5th, I suspect this will not sell out till late June at best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Not a hope.

Lineup isn't as good as last year, there is no early bird pricing available, and it clashes with The National.

Unless they have a big announcement on the 5th, I suspect this will not sell out till late June at best

Agree, it didn't sell out last year till just before the weekend when it was evident the sun was going to be cracking the stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Do we expect this to sell out in a few hours, as the line up is pretty good

- Eh no, it's Marlay Park (big cap)
    - Lineup is fairly s***e

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

A V A wrote: »
    its a casual mainstream music lovers festival, that line up brings oxygen to mind when i look at it , in regards to bookings etc and yes its tidy , tidy chart wise and finically!! to me, Hypebeats that dont have their own taste , and who get their music from blogs who all post the same thing and write about the same artists!! its nonsense , all them do not have a solid set in regards to a back catalogue compared to last years headliners!i think they took the easy route and booked who were the obvious choice and who were hyped and relevant at the moment , and basically played it safe to get people in !!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What, are you shouting that response? :rolleyes:

I like the line-up, I think it's fine as I did last year and I wouldn't regard myself as a "hypebeast" - I'll listen to music in the charts and music that's not so mainstream, I'm not bothered as long as I genuinely like it. Unlike you, I'm not a music snob.

Yes they want tickets to sell so they're going to pick a line-up that the general population would have heard of. Good weather is not guaranteed and that is the only reason why Longitude sold out last year. Oxygen has gone down a completely different route and they need someone to fill that gap. Even though that line-up pales in comparison to the Oxygen line-up of 2005, 2006. The acts resemble those that would have played at Electric Picnic more-so than anything.

Having said that I think the tickets are too expensive for what's on show, if they lowered the price - more people would go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

alleystar wrote: »
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What, are you shouting that response? :rolleyes:

I like the line-up, I think it's fine as I did last year and I wouldn't regard myself as a "hypebeast" - I'll listen to music in the charts and music that's not so mainstream, I'm not bothered as long as I genuinely like it. Unlike you, I'm not a music snob.

Yes they want tickets to sell so they're going to pick a line-up that the general population would have heard of. Good weather is not guaranteed and that is the only reason why Longitude sold out last year. Oxygen has gone down a completely different route and they need someone to fill that gap. Even though that line-up pales in comparison to the Oxygen line-up of 2005, 2006. The acts resemble those that would have played at Electric Picnic more-so than anything.

Having said that I think the tickets are too expensive for what's on show, if they lowered the price - more people would go.

welldone :)

• Advertisement

garrkell wrote: »
    Longitude Spotify playlist for people --->

http://open.spotify.com/user/garkelleher/playlist/74pwAKkFbbrE0gbaWZCOoN

also, plenty of acts to be announced. expect big things for the next announcement. dont know some of the acts? then go listen to them and stop complaining.

nothing new, just re cycled !!!

im a general music lover , but this years line up compared to last years is just a pathetic attempt and excuse to make a festival out of artists that will take any gig and slot they can before their time runs out on the charts etc

kraftwerk, phoenix , vampire weekend . . . acts that havent been booked to play ireland in a while!! thats what you want to see ,i got my ticket because i didnt know when i was going to see them again unlike the other that would most liekly be doing some sort of gig

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hey guys give it time, thats the first batch, there must be another bunch of announcements to be announced over the next few months, saying that most of these acts played EP last year, so, so far EP regulars will not be attending Longitude this year anyway unless they announce some crackers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Okay then, since the majority of people in this thread think that the lineup is disappointing, who did you expect to play? Honestly, I'm actually interested to know. Royksopp and Robyn, Gaz Coombes and Queens of the Stone Age are all the suggestions I've come across in this thread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Would Portugal. The Man and White Lies be a good shout this year? Both released new albums recently and haven't toured them, to my knowledge.

Primervera now that's what you call a line up

• Advertisement

Nine inch nails would be top of my list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Primervera now that's what you call a line up

hopefully Forbidden Fruit will have some of those names if it goes ahead, seeing as it's usually on that weekend. some of the Field Day the week after would be good too.

jmIVdnE.png

Nine inch nails would be top of my list
    nothing new, just re cycled !!!

kraftwerk, phoenix , vampire weekend . . . acts that havent been booked to play ireland in a while!! thats what you want to see ,i got my ticket because i didnt know when i was going to see them again unlike the other that would most liekly be doing some sort of gig

Nine Inch Nails just headlined Belsonic back in August.

yes in belfast!!!:rolleyes:

last time they played here was supporting foo fighters in marley park , thi would have been ideal for them

yes in belfast!!!:rolleyes:

last time they played here was supporting foo fighters in marley park , thi would have been ideal for them

And? Belfast may be a UK city but the festival still draws in a good few from the republic.

personally i think your point is irrelevant because they havent played ireland since 07/08 and a date is well over due and before that was like 96 in the sfx , i went up to belfast my self and there were barely any irish fans there,iv been to a good few gigs abroad and you can pick out irish fans that travelled, so the "pull" or draw was not great atall considering!!

last year was a decent mix and this year would have suited them

That's strange. I went to Belsonic too and I heard a good few republic accents. Fans of NIN would have went to Belfast in August, it's not like it's on another planet. :rolleyes: It is after all on the island of Ireland and thankfully has a railway line and bus service.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

personally i think your point is irrelevant because they havent played ireland since 07/08 and a date is well over due and before that was like 96 in the sfx , i went up to belfast my self and there were barely any irish fans there,iv been to a good few gigs abroad and you can pick out irish fans that travelled, so the "pull" or draw was not great atall considering!!

last year was a decent mix and this year would have suited them

The last time before Belsonic was Oxegen 2009

The last time before Belsonic was Oxegen 2009

forgot about that thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

That's strange. I went to Belsonic too and I heard a good few republic accents. Fans of NIN would have went to Belfast in August, it's not like it's on another planet. :rolleyes: It is after all on the island of Ireland and thankfully has a railway line and bus service.

I'm a fan and I didn't go, too far midweek, would've on a weekend but that date meant 2 days off work.

Would take their hand off a Dublin gig though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Okay then, since the majority of people in this thread think that the lineup is disappointing, who did you expect to play? Honestly, I'm actually interested to know. Royksopp and Robyn, Gaz Coombes and Queens of the Stone Age are all the suggestions I've come across in this thread so far.

I don't think the lineup is bad I just think the best acts are also playing their own shows or have recently played one recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Go back through the Olympia and gigs of that size that have been in high demand the past 12 months and you'll get a good idea of bands that would be suitable. Of the top of my head (and obviosuly this will vary depending on peoples taste)....
    - Monsters of Men
    - Fall Out Boy
    - Aloe Blac
    - Beady Eye
    - Empire of the sun
    - Fun Lovin Criminals
    - Passenger
    - MGMT
    - White Lies
    - Tenacious D
    - Editors
    - Biffy Clyro

All those bands would have songs that people know without buying their album, and are names that people recognise. That sells tickets. The way it's working right now seems theyre just cashing in on last years good weather, assuming people will buy tickets because they had fun at it last year, regardless of the lineup.

Go back through the Olympia and gigs of that size that have been in high demand the past 12 months and you'll get a good idea of bands that would be suitable. Of the top of my head (and obviosuly this will vary depending on peoples taste)....
    - Monsters of Men
    - Fall Out Boy
    - Aloe Blac
    - Beady Eye
    - Empire of the sun
    - Fun Lovin Criminals
    - Passenger
    - MGMT
    - White Lies
    - Tenacious D
    - Editors
    - Biffy Clyro

All those bands would have songs that people know without buying their album, and are names that people recognise. That sells tickets. The way it's working right now seems theyre just cashing in on last years good weather, assuming people will buy tickets because they had fun at it last year, regardless of the lineup.

Is that not the exact opposite of what a lot of people in this thread have said? That they want different acts to appear on the lineup, not one's that have played in the past 12 months? Even though I realise your opinion's your own and I would agree with you to a certain extent.

-HAIM, Bastillle - both had Olympia gigs (well HAIM still to come). If you look at Bastille they've had a lot of radio play in Ireland, their fanbase is constantly growing. Same could be said for HAIM.
    -Ben Howard headlined Belsonic - first act to sell-out, he also played with M&S in the Phoenix Park. I'm also 90% sure his second album will be out between now and Longitude. I would go just to hear him alone for the millionth time and his new material. He's received quite the hype after he won a Brit Award and subsequently started getting a lot of radio play. Oats In The Water was just on The Walking Dead and shot up in the Irish charts. I'm sure that he alone has generated a bigger fan base in Ireland that haven't seen him play yet, even if he was here just back in July.
    -Disclosure I'm pretty sure were just in the Olympia back in November.
    -JVMM may have been slightly unknown when his debut hit the ground, but now with his second album he's considerably bigger. I think the last time he played the Olympia was 2011, there would be a considerable demand to see him play a festival imo.
    -CHVRCHES will be at the Olympia in March.
    -Le Galaxie just played for Nailler9's birthday bash in the Olympia. Plus they're amazing live and usually play every festival.
    -I'm sure not many people have looked into Hozier's other material but Take Me To Church is very well known now.
    -Bonobo played the Olympia back in October.

After going through that list I kind of understand where other people are coming from, that the majority of the act's have already had a lot of gigs in Ireland in the past 12 months. My opinion of the line-up is probably biased, purely because Ben Howard is there. I dunno, I'm broke so I won't be going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I don't think crap is the right term - a lot of those acts are fairly tidy, if a little overhyped - but it is incredibly Pitchfork Top 50.

From the point of view of someone who's into electronic music, Disclosure were dull as **** at EP and they'll be dull as **** as Longitude. Sorry, but their music just doesn't work on the main stage. House music is meant to feel full and go right through you. On a big outdoor stage, their sound just gets blown away and it feels very flat and unfunky, like it's being played through set of giant ipod speakers. People who are more used to rock/indie/hip-hop gigs might enjoy it, but if you've been around the dance scene I'd imagine it's likely you'll be left cold.

Are you kidding me?

Sorry to wade in again, but I was just thinking of a few acts I would have liked to have made the bill myself.

Foster The People have a new album out soon and I think there would be quite the demand to see them. EP might have a chance of picking them up instead though. London Grammar would have been epic, as would Nick Mulvey. As for Irish acts, Last Days of 1984 I've never seen in a festival setting or Kid Karate for that matter. Daughter would have been pretty cool to see too, I'm not sure if they played any festivals last year. MMX another too.

- Monsters of Men
    - Fall Out Boy
    - Aloe Blac
    - Beady Eye
    - Empire of the sun
    - Fun Lovin Criminals
    - Passenger
    - MGMT
    - White Lies
    - Tenacious D
    - Editors
    - Biffy Clyro

to me , that is what you call great thinking in regards to a festival linup , 60% i like and want to see at a festival and the 40% i wouldn't be pushed about but wouldnt mind , and from past experiences seeing that 40% might change my mind and get me into the band as seeing a band live first always changes my opinion :)

when do you say there will be another announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

when do you say there will be another announcement?

6th February I think announcement two.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

AVA do not post in this thread until Friday. If you do it's a ban.

• Advertisement

i was just thinking , i would love if the presets played longitude , they are well over due a date here!!!!!!

Advertisement