Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cat behaviourist who does home visits in Clare?

• 11-12-2013 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

Things are still way too out of hand between Felix and Toby. Felix is the aggressor and actively seeks him out, multiple times per day, every day. We've currently got Felix on Zylkene pills to try to calm things down, we also have 3 Feliway diffusers plugged in around the house.

There was a major fight a few months ago, which we hoped would sort things out, it didn't. This morning there was another massive fight and they both did each other a fair bit of damage. Financially we can't afford to keep up the Zylkene and Feliway on an ongoing monthly basis, that and I'll crack up. So I'm thinking of consulting a Cat behaviourist in the new year, if I can find a reputable one who will come to the house.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭NickyL

I don't know of any in the Clare area, however one of the vets at UCD vet hospital (I think her name is Orla) is also an animal behaviourist, so it might be an idea to contact them for a referral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Can highly recommend this lady http://petproblems.weebly.com/ I was too far away for a home visit but I'v gotten advice from her over email for my cat. She's based in Clare as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are they intact males? This would be normal behaviour then right?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 FBee

Things are still way too out of hand between Felix and Toby. Felix is the aggressor and actively seeks him out, multiple times per day, every day. We've currently got Felix on Zylkene pills to try to calm things down, we also have 3 Feliway diffusers plugged in around the house.

There was a major fight a few months ago, which we hoped would sort things out, it didn't. This morning there was another massive fight and they both did each other a fair bit of damage. Financially we can't afford to keep up the Zylkene and Feliway on an ongoing monthly basis, that and I'll crack up. So I'm thinking of consulting a Cat behaviourist in the new year, if I can find a reputable one who will come to the house.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Sorry not to much use on contact information for a cat behaviourist but I do know that majority of problems between cats can be resolved. I'm sure some here may also be able to give some advice if you give more information. Maybe you can try it over the xmas period and then go down the cat behaviourist route if it doesn't work.

Are they intact males? What age were they neutered at? What age were they introduced at? How did you introduce them together? Is there anything that sets Felix off or does he attack Toby at random? Are they seperated now or do you still let them be together? Is there anytime when they are ok around eachother?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Can highly recommend this lady http://petproblems.weebly.com/ I was too far away for a home visit but I'v gotten advice from her over email for my cat. She's based in Clare as far as I know.

Pumpkinseeds, this lady that zapperzy has linked to gets my seal of approval too, for what that's worth! She has actually just opened a new training and behaviour centre for dogs in Shannon, but she is qualified and able to take on cats, and even exotics! And she does home visits too :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Thanks for all the replies, they're much appreciated. Both cats are neutered. One is about 6 the other about 2. The younger chap has only been with us since early Summer and he's a very gentle, but large chap. He's very relaxed and chilled out but Felix just will not leave him be and it's only getting worse.

I just feel that in the New Year we really need to tackle it. Personally, I think we created the problem by adopting 2 additional adult cats over a 6 month period, he's fine with the spayed female and it was never as bad with the neutered male we got a year after we adopted Felix.

He's a very jealous and territorial cat and all the problems he's had with his ear won't be helping matters either. He's a real love bug with us and I just want them to feel safe and secure here. Poor Toby must be living on his nerves at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, Bev Truss at Edupet in Shannon is the best person to talk to and she does do homevisits.

Advertisement