Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Doctors

Options
  • 11-12-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have had to try to make appointments on three occasions in the past month for one or other of my two young children, with the doctor.

On each occasion, they have had no availability that day. ( I would have phoned twice in the early morning) and twice, no availability the day after either. I was told I should book further in advance.

Now - maybe my kids are different, but usually they don't give much advance notice to say they are going to be sick!

Has anyone else experienced difficulties with making appointments and would anyone else be of the view that they need an extra doctor to deal with demand? When I have been there, it is usually the case that there is just one doctor there on duty. ( This may not always be the case but that's just what I have observed) The doctors are lovely.. but the service clearly can't meet what is required of it.

I'm sure someone will tell me to take this up with the doctors surgery myself - which I will - but in the meantime it would be interesting to hear if I am just having an unlucky run of it or if others feel the service needs to be reviewed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Yes, you'd be lucky to get a same day appointment. Mostly we go between 8 and 9 in the morning, when no appointment is needed.
    Its a great facility, well priced, so there's no surprise its busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If an absolute emergency, they'll see you, or least that's my experience. I appreciate they can be busy however I have never had any problems with their service.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Greystones medical centre always make time on the day for our kids' illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

Yep i go between 8 and 9 in the morning too if i'm sick. Otherwise i make appointment in advance for the evening slot. I think their hours are great for those working 9 - 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Can't say that we've ever been turned away or told to come back the next day. Always get a time for the same day/evening when saying that it's for a child. And unfortunately I have to say that it's been more regular than I would have hoped for... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Rang for an ante natal appnt one Tuesday and was told not doing any until the following week.
    Was a little panicked and was seen in hospital.

Great Docs n service tho, so yep maybe another Doc needed in the practise

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sparkle*

I arrived on a Saturday with my 1 year old who was quite sick with bronchitis etc and was told that they had no appointments available. I had to bring him to Vincents instead where he was then seen.
    Even if they asked me to come back and wait it would have been no problem but I was just told no availability at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Interesting, so, mixed experiences. I agree it is good, for those working 9-5 that you can drop in in the mornings and the evening hours are convenient too. Its just frustrating when you have children and they cant been seen, the odd occasion, I can understand but to happen regularly just makes the challenge harder! Both kids sick again today (!) so didnt get to phone the doctor to ask them if they have any plans to increase the numbers of doctors available to see patients. But ill post my findings when I do. Thanks for the feedback...

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Were you asking for a specific time?
    We have never had a problem getting an appointment same day, even when ringing later in the day they have booked us in for that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Jimjay wrote: »
    Were you asking for a specific time?
    We have never had a problem getting an appointment same day, even when ringing later in the day they have booked us in for that evening.

Yes it was for the afternoon or evening.

• Advertisement

Tomato wrote: »
    Interesting, so, mixed experiences. I agree it is good, for those working 9-5 that you can drop in in the mornings and the evening hours are convenient too. Its just frustrating when you have children and they cant been seen, the odd occasion, I can understand but to happen regularly just makes the challenge harder! Both kids sick again today (!) so didnt get to phone the doctor to ask them if they have any plans to increase the numbers of doctors available to see patients. But ill post my findings when I do. Thanks for the feedback...

From what I see on the plaque outside is there are 3 doctors and a nurse and there's two consultation rooms along with a treatment room. They appear to be at capacity with the number of doctors/nurses for the space available. I wonder if there would be a need to move the operation upstairs into the designated Medical Center space, but only if they know that their current facilities cannot meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's an access issue to the medical centre upstairs from memory, which is why its not been brought in to use by anyone. Was quite a while ago I was involved in some issues with it though, may have been resolved.

If it's a lack of a lift for the medial centre, that's just very poor design. I would like to know what that reason is and if he has been remedied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

I would have to agree with OP, it has happened a number of times where I have been unable to get an appointment for my son or myself. I do use the no appointment facility as at least I ill get in that way. Other than the 8-9 slot Ive started going back to my old family doctor where I lived before greystones, its a much bigger clinic thats easier to get appointments, its more expensive than charlesland but at least I can get an appointment if I need one. Also the vaccinations in charlesland is very restrictive, they only do them 2 days a week and happen to be on days I work (i work part time so try work around those days if possible for appointments) the other clinic does them everyday so I ended up there for the rest of my sons vaccinations. For my recent pregnancy I didnt even consider using charlesland for the gp service, its just too unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rubylady

I didn't think a child would be seen in Vincent's? Tallaght or a children's hospital?

Advertisement