Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

QNH now 980 at Knock.falling very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

In Carndonagh in Inishowen. The weather at the moment is lovely . Bright mostly blue sky, no wind at all.

moderate turbulence between 14,000ft and 23,000ft for aircraft departing Knock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain started here in Waterford City. I know conditions not expected to be that bad here but the wind is gusting to 60km/h. For the red warning area's i feel an historic weather day in the making.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I know us southeners are to escape the worst of it but I am hopein for some nice lightning strikes through the evening.....stay safe all up in the northwest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Wind has actually died down here in West Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ureds wrote: »
    Wind has actually died down here in West Mayo!

Just got back in from it in Castlebar, seems to be getting stronger here and very wet now, very oppressive feel to the air here, its weird.

978 hpa at Knock now, never saw it drop that fast before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks nice on satellite.

http://www.sat24.com/

For anyone wondering, strongest winds will be in the area south of the center.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town here and nothing unusual yet. Slight breeze. Light drizzle on and off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

3 lightning strikes already in the last hour have hit land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

howlinwolf wrote: »
    I know us southeners are to escape the worst of it but I am hopein for some nice lightning strikes through the evening.....stay safe all up in the northwest.

Is there thunder forecast for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Rain started here in Waterford City. I know conditions not expected to be that bad here but the wind is gusting to 60km/h. For the red warning area's i feel an historic weather day in the making.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

If the winds are already gusting to 60km/h in Waterford then expect those gusts to increase significantly later. Its getting very gusty here in north Sligo. I just went for a walk along the beach and its getting rough. I know its not scientific but there is a strange feeling with this wind. Its getting right into sheltered areas like behind sheds etc and blowing out leaves and twigs bits of rubbish etc that have been there for years!! The gusts seem to be from all directions at the moment. Some gusts are near gale force. Anyway we have stocked up on candles and gas cylinders. Power is bound to go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Sideways rain and very strong gusts in Bonniconlon near the mountain.... was just going out to walk the dogs.... bugger!

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭squonk

Very heavy rain has settled in in North Clare now. The wind has dropped a bit since earlier. Guess it won't be long til the gusts pick up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

South kerry. Serious gusts and rain for last hour.

Edit. Now driving hail.

Thank god for warm fires. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I know its not scientific but there is a strange feeling with this wind.

Seen a Robin hopping around a bush out the back about 10 mins ago. First one I have seen in ages. Bird of omen? Very dull here in Galway despite relatively high cloud base. Spits of rain. SSE 10 kt 978.5 hPa falling quickly.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Rain showers turned into constant rain.
    Nice and blustery too here in West Limerick.

Let the fun begin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Wind picking up here in Sligo the last 30 mins.

Gonna be a bad one for sure.

Waves in Strandhill will be phenomenal, and if it's coupled with the storm surge, could be a bit of flooding. Definitely at Gibraltar point, but a few weeks ago, there was a high tide and a decent wind, and I'd never seen the Garavogue so high, wonder if this could send it higher still, maybe flood Quay street area. Would take a lot but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann 3-hour chart has the low at 953mb at 4pm.

3hr-wind.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Suddenly turned a lot nastier in terms of rainfall in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Serious rain and wind picking up around the Castlebar area now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looks nice on satellite.

http://www.sat24.com/

For anyone wondering, strongest winds will be in the area south of the center.

Hi Maq..thanks for the progress updates. Is it following it's expected path?

Wind and rain coming from the south at moment.

Good winters day here, not too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Gusty now in Sligo town, doesmt feel like anything out of the ordinary.
    Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks extremely impressive on satellite imagery and likely well below 960hPa already.

Could be a very dangerous storm.

The entire western and northern seaboard is clear of any visible (AIS) shipping.

Only a rescue helicopter (SAR1112) seen on Marinetraffic 20 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't look forward to driving home later! Very dark and the rain is getting heavy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Looks extremely impressive on satellite imagery and likely well below 960hPa already.

Could be a very dangerous storm.

Thinking the same myself... On another note later tonight and tomorrow snow showers will be hammering in possible accumulations in parts of N and W. Short lived unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭squonk

Getting gradually worse here in North Clare now. Sustained heavy rain, it's like a heavy shower but constant and the wind is slowly picking up now driving the rain. All from a southerly direction. It's also gotten very dark. If that rain doesn't let up, things could get fairly nasty after a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement