Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

deccurley wrote: »
    North Kerry - a howling wind has died down to a light breeze and the rain has stopped completely.

That would be the back of the front passing over you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

aisling86 wrote: »
    My husband has said the power keeps flikering in Macroom Co.Cork - time to buy ready made baby formula!! :)

According to the ESB website there is an outage near Macroom as follows:

• Type of service interruption: Fault
    • Number of customers affected: 976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Pretty sure I read that post somewhere earlier.

I'm in work so I've prepared to fail already. Need to get petrol on the way home too. Should have done that on the way in.

Yup, I posted it earlier in response to another member who posted about travelling to work.

Well, you can still plan... It's never too late.

For example, what are current local road conditions like? Check local radio and AA Roadwatch website.

Marinetraffic.com also displays wind too.

What route are you taking? Have you an alternative route in case of flooding / tree down etc?

Have you a warm jacket? Can you borrow one?

Torrential rain here in West Limerick. Driven by a strong Southwesterly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

10mm/h rain at the mo, 6.6mm last hour, but make that five minutes!!!!

Barometer 978 hPa ↓ ++++

Gusty wind no more than 30kts or so, airport reporting no problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Average Wind speed 40km/h now with regular gusts near 70km/h. Main rain band just arriving so conditions will only get worse.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Phenomenally dark here now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential rain in Castlebar now, have the lights on, it is like night outside, gusts are picking up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Incredible rain here in Cahir, day has turned to night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Very srong SW wind and heavy rain in South Tipp at the foot of the Knockmealdowns. Then again, we always get exaggerated winds when from the south, the Bernouilli effect I think?

Sme flash flooding on the roads. Noticed a lot of neighbours have been felling dangerous trees in anticipation of the high winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's stepping up in Galway. It's incredibly dark. We have some heavy rain and some decent gusts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Heavy, driving rain now in Galway city
    Max gust 42mph
    Barometer 974.94 hPa: Falling very rapidly -3.68 hPa/hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

squall in castlebar now!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Seems like the wind is going to pick up here and then it dies down to a gust again.

Heading out to Strandhill now, will take a few pictures if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust here 55Kmh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The lights have dimmed a few times here in the centre of Cork City.
    I'm assuming there must be some major faults around if it's causing that kind of a voltage variation in a major urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Fitzo wrote: »
    Seems like the wind is going to pick up here and then it dies down to a gust again.

Heading out to Strandhill now, will take a few pictures if I can.

Careful now. I would love to go out and stormwatch, but have to go to work, grrr

Letterbox update: moderate flappage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭systemicrisk

Sat in car out the prom in Salthill Galway there for half an hour and some of the gusts are quite bad all right. Calmed down now again but if what i saw is a precursor for what's to come I think we are in for a nasty one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Serious lump of rain there now. Hailstones and as bad driving rain I have seen here. Flash floods outside the house on around our house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kkel

The streetlights have come on where I live!..... Its not even 3 o clock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Temps are tumbling here in Galway city
    Now 6.6C from a high of 11.2C at 1400 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very heavy rain in last few minutes here in Galway becoming very gusty too and Hail thrown in aswell:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

Not as dark or as wet here in North Clare now. I'd say the edge of the front is fast approaching. We'll be onto the next phase soon with showers and strengthening winds no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Rain getting heavier in waves, reminiscent of the tropics (worst I have experienced was 270mm in 12hrs in Brazil). From rain radar looks like another hour before this eases. Wish I'd got that weather station early for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

Lightening and heavy rain in mallow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

kfod wrote: »
    I'd say it's just cleared here in West Cork, it went mental for a few minutes, heaviest rain I've seen, and though it is still raining it's a lot less now, brightening a bit also.

Yes looked like a squall there for a few mins. Total whiteout,hailstone very high winds and water running down the road. The worst seems to be over here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

VERY heavy rain in Limerick, lots of flooding after this torrent!.....the noise of this is really scary! Hope my BF gets home soon and is ok driving in this.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

Lightening and heavy rain in mallow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Daytime quit early. Seriously dark here for the time it is.

Limerick is sooo dark!....all the cars have their lights on full beam, its like night during the day, i dont like this weather!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Serious rain here in mayo. I drove from Ballaghadreen to Clatemorris in a van and it was crazy stuff. The van is stopped now but is bouncing up and down with the wind. Deffo no flights into knock. I drove past the approach lights at the end if the runway and u could hardly make them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

14mm of rain in the last 20 minutes and still pouring down. Great stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement