Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

North Clare: Weak watery winter sunset happening here now. Almost seeing blue skies but the showers are starting. Wind had died a bit but is starting to pick up a little again now. Reports of flooding on some Clare roads and also some trees down along with traffic accidents in places. Our electricity shorted out for a minute an hour ago, possibly a lightening strike. I'm looking forward to the high winds now!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

Fairly calm here in west Sligo, the rain was quite bad earlier but no real wind to speak about...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Severe gusts, rain heavy and almost horizontal here in Kilkenny city. Lamp-posts swaying.

A bit scary! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The rain has began to come down in Sandymount in Dublin within the last half hour. The strong gales don't sound too kind to us either.

I am not looking forward to going home in this either as it lashing out of the heavens at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Heavy rain in Swords, Dublin for the last 20 minutes I'd say. Wind not too strong at the minute as far as I can see from my desk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

very heavy in Citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Biggest gust of the day here (west Laois) about 5 minutes ago accompanied by a torrential downpour (something like a squall line passing through). I can't imagine what it is like over in coastal areas of the West and North West with the really extreme gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

atrocious in arklow, felt like it at started all of a sudden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

incoming for dublin. yikes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

River down my street here now

recent gust 60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

the rain is more of an issue than the wind at the moment here in Carlow...its absolutely lashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

howlinwolf wrote: »
    just wondering, would it be smart to go get batteries for the torch and some candles or will it not get too bad here in the south east, startin to get concered with all the esb faults, esp as the main event hasn't quite started yet?

That's never a bad idea during the winter in general.

The ESB Powercheck site and mobile app will show details of power interruptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

1 woman injured and they are supposed to be still checking under the collapsed roof.

Let's sincerely hope that's the only injury due to this storm.

The potential damage is a also a great worry. People can ill afford to repair damage coming up to Christmas.
    Most people are justbarely keeping their heads above water as it is.

The forecasts are great, but I really can't understand the mentality of a small number people on here actually wishing for a big storm and the high winds. Have these type of people no family and friends or empathy for other peoples well being ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Horrendous here now driving wind and torrential rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Wind has picked up here in Swords now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Torrential rain around Naas Rd/Bluebell/Kylemore Rd area now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

GREENGEKO wrote: »
    Originally Posted by MrFrisp View Post
    Part of the roof of Kent Station has collapsed onto a train and there are trees after snapping in half out in Togher.

links here to pics and story now

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057107231

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/three-injured-after-roof-at-cork-train-station-collapses-1.1631691

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/part-of-roof-collapses-at-cork-train-station-617570.html

Wow..Some pics.

Thanks for that GREENGEKO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Nice blue sky in Tralee atm, some fast moving clouds in it though and the breeze is starting to pick up again slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

While it stayed fairly calm since in south kerry, starting to get gusty now with another driving hail shower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

ESB Powercheck is showing a large number of faults already.

Guys and gals in the ESB gonna have a busy few days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Outside xmas decorations all down now,(co wexford), strong wind, driving rain, got dark very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I'm not sure the rain is as heavy as it looks on the charts here, seems the wind is making it look and sound worse then it is

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Rain belting off the windows, pitch black now and the gusts are strong, sounds like the roof could lift off. Didn't think it would be this stormy in East Meath. Hope it passes quickly, it's awfully scary sitting here listening to this storm. I watched the barometer falling like a stone in real time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

kildare is starting to wash away....heavy rain and a lot of road flooding being reported on local kfm radio.....wind has died down a bit but can come up quick in short heavy bursts....there be roof tiles off tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

think the worst of the rain is over here, still rainin but not too heavy, wind dying down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

leahyl wrote: »
    Ok hotel room has leak in the window - lovely!

At least it still has a roof (for the moment) :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Bradys pub sign in shankill co dublin blown off, nearly hit pedestrians below. Gonna be a mad nite!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭squonk

North Clare: Blue skies here with scudding clouds. Wind has picked up markedly in the last 3 minutes. No shower in sight so I expect this is the roll into the storm. As I type the wind is picking up further. It was a very sudden transition from relatively heavy breeze to gusty strong wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Strong Gusts here now, one nearly took the back fence off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement