Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Malcolm. wrote: »
    If someone is hurt, how is "that's more like it" ?

Because it's corresponding to what the models are showing for this time? If the wind wasn't picking up then something would be off. It's got nothing to do with people getting hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

O give it over.

I personally love a good lightning storm and when conditions look right, im over the moon.

Should said lightning storm cause damage, injury or worse, of course im not excited about the negitive effects, but i will always have a passon of observing storms etc.

Much with Motoring events no...... people do get hurt... yet people find themselves wishing and praying for the next event to come along.

If you dont get it then you just dont get it. Life will go on.

I don't hope for events that harm others. I won't be giving over anything.
    Life does go on, including other peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Got cought coming home from work on the motor bike earlyer mad winds two tree blown down outside kildare town bad flooding had to pull over could not see a thing also it was more than just rain that was falling a bit of sleet and hail mixed in with it also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Lower Glanmire Road now closed to all traffic after the wind damaged the Kent Station AND surrounding houses with tiles and brickwork still falling.

More damage has been done to the front of the dwelling than at the back where the station roof was destroyed.

Road Closed immediately.

Because it's corresponding to what the models are showing for this time? If the wind wasn't picking up then something would be off. It's got nothing to do with people getting hurt.

Sorry I mistook you for one of the people hoping for winds that damage.
    I enjoy forecasts myself, but I don't hope for such events, I just observe them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Don't mean it in a bad way but christ the state of that train station. Suprised it hasn't come down before with how old and feeble it looks. Looks like a fair bit of those flimsy iron sheets are part of the structure, might be wrong.

Glad more weren't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Life does go on, including other peoples.

Fantastic - im gald we are in agreement.

So back to the topic - Not a gust to be seen in Cork now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Few roads on the campus at NUIG under a bit of water seemingly

1484735_10152150050541934_1163227291_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Must be, I still can't understand why some people would actively wish for a storm that damages property, life and limb. I must be soft having any empathy for anyone affected by this instead of focusing on my personal thrill.

It's not as if wishing for a storm to hit the country will exacerbate the damage because it's going happen anyway - we don't create them and we're powerless to stop them.

Oh and the damage is never really that bad, the tropical storms are the ones we'd like to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Enniskerry bray road flooded twice

• Advertisement

7pm charts showing the low down to 951mb with storm force/violent storm force along the west coast with an area of hurricane force winds not too far from the coast.

3hr-wind.gif?1718

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Crazy here at the moment and loads of flooding...had some lighning here as well....wow that was some clap of thunder...alarms going off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Oh and the damage is never really that bad, the tropical storms are the ones we'd like to avoid.

Come on, I bet you'd secretly love a tropical storm, as well as a flood that covers Ireland 7ft over, a lightning storm of Biblical proportions, earthquakes, another three tsunamis and finally a meteor strike...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Lower Glanmire Road now closed to all traffic after the wind damaged the Kent Station AND surrounding houses with tiles and brickwork still falling.

More damage has been done to the front of the dwelling than at the back where the station roof was destroyed.

Road Closed immediately.

The descriptions of this event in the press half sound like a mini tornado?

Mace Head 4kt below storm force now.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Nothing major in Athlone since 3.30 ish when we had torrential hail shower with strong winds. Needs to pick up again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

noah45 wrote: »
    Nothing major in Athlone

Nothing's changed there then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Settling down in Greystones now. Wonder if that's it for us or will we get a second go later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its getting insane outside now in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

K4 buoy at 957 mb at 16z with low centre (from satellite imagery) about 80 miles to its southwest or around
    54.3N 13.0W, estimated central pressure 950 mbs. From consensus of three best models available, would say that track will be northeast then north next 7-8 hours towards a position at 60N 10.5W.

Squall line intensity and satellite imagery of southern quadrant of low combine to suggest potential for 75-80 kt peak gusts in the wrap-around circulation and I think this will impact parts of Mayo, Sligo, north Leitrim and Donegal (later most of Ulster) although the GFS continues to depict only a close call offshore with perhaps 55-60 kt peak gusts. The GME is much more robust and GEM takes an intermediate position on all that.

These very strong gusts are probably about 1h away from sweeping through Mayo and Sligo (predicting peak gusts near 80 kts at Belmullet) , Galway and north Clare also in line for almost as strong (would say 65-70 kt peak gusts there), and from 2 to 3 hours for Donegal southwest to northeast, about 4 hours from Derry. Expect an irregular rise in wind speeds now to peak, then peak conditions lasting about 3-4 hours (4-6 hours Malin Head east to north Antrim).

Some gusts almost as strong as the squall line could return later this evening to some places further south and east but in general those regions would expect to see peak gusts from now on around 50-55 knots. Could touch 60 again in parts of Dublin if the GME is correct.

Returning to the area under the gun for the strongest wind gusts, there would be potential for moderate damage and I would advise readers in those regions to stay in a secure location for the duration of this windstorm once it hits, you may lose power so make a note of expected duration (something like 6 p.m. to midnight for most, trending 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. in north Ulster).

There's still some chance this will be more of a close call than a serious event, but would say the odds about 3:1 in favour of serious event now and watch for updates but your best guide may be poster reports on this thread -- please be very sure to include exact locations if reporting very strong winds. Expect some locational differences inland as strong westerly winds work their way through hilly terrain. Also would expect the evening high tide to be about 1 to 1.5 metres above tide table values which as I recall were in the 4-5 m range already (on the west coast, differences on south coast likely to be more like 0.5m and east coast 0.3m).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

first gusty weather hitting inishowen now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Constant strong gusts in Castlebar now. high tide along the west coast around 6pm. rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Anyone seen my hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Nothing's changed there then :rolleyes:

You take that back!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:*

*Disclaimer; You may have a point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

its getting insane outside now in Mayo
    ya it is some of the bins in the easte go emptied not long ago and there going for a spin across the easte

It's not as if wishing for a storm to hit the country will exacerbate the damage because it's going happen anyway - we don't create them and we're powerless to stop them.

It doesn't exacerbate damage no, but I don't wish for events that harm others just so I get some personally enteraining weather show.

I just prefer forecasting, observing and warning in the hope of protecing life and limb.

Several people have been injured this evening already. That's several people too many and our thoughts should also be with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

cotton wrote: »
    Settling down in Greystones now. Wonder if that's it for us or will we get a second go later on?

I don't think there will be a second event for most of the country, only the northwest should be expecting a second coming....although I don't think it was forecasted to be quite as windy and squally as it was when the cold front passed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Storm over in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Just had a 60mph gust in Galway city!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Storm over in Dublin

Maybe not, that was the appetiser, at least on the west coast, it calmed completely for about an hour, now its really picking up for the main course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement