Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Malcolm. wrote: »
    It doesn't exacerbate damage no, but I don't wish for events that harm others just so I get some personally enteraining weather show.

I just prefer forecasting, observing and warning in the hope of protecing life and limb.

Several people have been injured this evening already. That's several people too many and our thoughts should also be with them.

its a storm not the end of the world,will you get over your self and stop tring to get a rise out of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

So is it safe to say that Cork is more or less in the clear now then?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Guys how does this look for overnight? Hubby to fly to NY tomorrow morning and am wondering is there any chance flight might be cancelled

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What will the weather be like in galway city tomorrow do ye reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lumi wrote: »
    Just had a 60mph gust in Galway city!

Whoooshe, i think you'll be getting higher than that in the next 4 hours too, with the tightest gradient a little bit further south than earlier consensus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Mace Head 4kt below storm force now.

Can see that station from the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

The descriptions of this event in the press half sound like a mini tornado?

At the time of the accident [not known at the time] I reported my own highest gust of 49km/h and EICK reported [by another poster] a gust of 111km/h at the same time.

A powerful convection gust it has been described as in this thread.

The very heavy rain which precipitated the event lowered the air pressure locally and a violent downdraft occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Guys how does this look for overnight? Hubby to fly to NY tomorrow morning and am wondering is there any chance flight might be cancelled

He'll be ok for take off I should imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can see that station from the house.

Well you still have electricity/broadband/phone signal so that's a positive! Pretty wild in Galway city now...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

the weather for tomorrow is not too bad...windy ( nothing crazy) with passing showers, majority of them in the west, pretty cold though...all should be grand for flying.

• Advertisement

Some trees reported down in county North Dublin after squall passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

naughto wrote: »
    its a storm not the end of the world,will you get over your self and stop tring to get a rise out of people.

Nothing is the end of the world, no one except those who wished for a deadly storm are getting a rise. It brings bad form to the respectable pursuit of weather forecasting and I for one want to distance myself from that type of commenting. If you don't that's not a reflection on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

Aircraft can take off in very high winds so I can't imagine there being any delays or cancelations.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Well you still have electricity/broadband/phone signal so that's a positive! Pretty wild in Galway city now...

Ah yeah, not so worried really. Though herself had Judge Judy on earlier and I was wishing the power to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Can hear the wind picking up abit again in Sligo Town.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sarsfield Garda station in Co. Limerick closed due to structural damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Scotty15 wrote: »
    Aircraft can take off in very high winds so I can't imagine there being any delays or cancelations.

Thanks. I was kinda hoping it might be cancelled!! C'est la vie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

In Central Donegal, had a good heavy down pour a short while ago,but was expecting more interesting Cold Front show with some Hail and Thunder, does anyone know were the front is right now?

Winds are still relatively lite, slowly freshing, but was thinking it would be much stronger at this stage.

Some violent winds will begin to push into the west in next 1-2 hours. Donegal may be affected a little later than orginally thought, more towards 8-10pm as system is a little bit further south now than thought earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sarsfield Garda station in Co. Limerick closed due to structural damage.

285116.png

New Moon

• Advertisement

Satellite signal really patchy here now, dish must be getting a real good sha.............. and it's gone. And back, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Its not one for the faint hearted mind, landing in wind is a bad experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Castlederg just had a gust of 75 mph, 120 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

In Claregalway there will be damage from this my windows starting bending a few minutes ago very scary to see never seen that before...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

13121818_2_1812.gif
    13121821_2_1812.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

But the inbound has to be able to land first...

In Claregalway there will be damage from this my windows starting bending a few minutes ago very scary to see never seen that before...:eek:

Kids were in what we call the "sunroom" here, took them in out of it for that very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You're new to these parts obviously! :)

Probably something to do with experiencing the awesome power of nature, reviewing the charts produced by the various forecast models and making their own predictions.

No one wants to see anyone injured.

Have you ever stood on a mountain top during a storm, or been on-board a boat during one? Awesome doesn't even begin to come close to describing what you experience.

I personally LOVE periods of bad weather as it is interesting and can be challenging.

Alternatively we could start a discussion on the state of the economy? Nah, I'm sticking with the weather :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

North shore of Galway Bay. Windows bending like elastic. Listening to two roof tiles so far that have been worked loose in just last hour. Sounds like a jumbo jet parked outside. Feeling a bit like the three little pigs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lumi wrote: »
    Just had a 60mph gust in Galway city!

It's bad out, went for a walk and was more like an involuntary jog.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement