Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Malcolm. wrote: »
    Nothing is the end of the world, no one except those who wished for a deadly storm are getting a rise. It brings bad form to the respectable pursuit of weather forecasting and I for one want to distance myself from that type of commenting. If you don't that's not a reflection on me.

Nobody wishes for storms to cause damage or harm people.

Its the one thing that people who are weather enthusiasts hope doesn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Kippure wrote: »
    Castlederg just had a gust of 75 mph, 120 kph.

I'm about 15miles from Castlederg and it's relatively calm here(Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Just been informed have to head out to Salthill later I'm dreading the drive :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Weathering wrote: »
    I'm about 15miles from Castlederg and the winds and it's relatively calm here(Donegal)

Say the gust would have had some relation to the clearing front.

Not related to the wrap-around storm winds which are just pushing into Galway Bay now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

paconnors wrote: »
    Just been informed have to head out to Salthill later I'm dreading the drive :-(

Salthill promenade flooded now closed, water flooding over Galway harbour quays

• Advertisement

Not related to the wrap-around storm winds which are just pushing into Galway Bay now.

Yeah very localized

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

13121818_2_1812.gif
    13121821_2_1812.gif

That looks like an upgrade for the Galway city area looks further south than before had strongest gust so far bout 40mins ago 42.5mph on my own new weather station
    I was surprised I thought it would be more looked/sounded alot worse imagine 80/90mph :eek:expecting the strongest gusts next 2hours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

Its not one for the faint hearted mind, landing in wind is a bad experience.

It can be bad, but for people who enjoy flying its a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very bad here again...it became very still but now the wind has picked up big time...no thunder or lightning here this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Wow huge gust there keep safe this is a really bad time for it to hit west commuters going home need to be really careful Tuam road crawling at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

North shore of Galway Bay. Windows bending like elastic. Listening to two roof tiles so far that have been worked loose in just last hour. Sounds like a jumbo jet parked outside. Feeling a bit like the three little pigs...

Hopefully the third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

paconnors wrote: »

According to Galway Indo Facebook page: Salthill Prom will be closed from Grattan Road to Seapoint from 5pm today, Galway City Council has advised

and the Advertiser says: The car park beside the Atlantaquarium in Salthill is under three ft of water. approx 7 cars stranded in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Weathering wrote: »
    I'm about 15miles from Castlederg and it's relatively calm here(Donegal)

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just had a branch smash against the window there, thank god for double glazing...gusts becoming violent now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Nobody wishes for storms to cause damage or harm people.

Its the one thing that people who are weather enthusiasts hope doesn't happen.

That's what severe winds do. Once you've seen the harm to others up close, there is no thrill in that, so I don't wish for them, and actually there was quite a few examples of that earlier on the thread. Glad to see the reality is starting to hit home here. I do enjoy the science of trying to predict and observe them, in part to warn others, not for some thrillseek.

Xenji wrote: »
    Just had a branch smash against the window there, thank god for double glazing...gusts becoming violent now.

Where are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Some violent winds will begin to push into the west in next 1-2 hours. Donegal may be affected a little later than orginally thought, more towards 8-10pm as system is a little bit further south now than thought earlier.

That seems unusual. I recall Su Campu saying they( depressions) usually go a bit further north than expected at the last moment.

Anyway it's fairly windy here at the moment, but not stormy, then again i'm that bit far inland to experience the best of it.

That could quite possibly be it's highest gust for today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

flight radar showing flights diverted all over the place.

ryanair flight to cork has diverted to shannon.

actually correction its gone for a fly around.

Xenji wrote: »

We are having the same issue here. Just had a huge branch come off a tree out the back. Thank god no one was out there when it happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Where are you ?

Castlebar, and surrounded by trees :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Severe winds castlebar now.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    We are having the same issue here. Just had a huge branch come off a tree out the back. Thank god no one was out there when it happened

Where are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

just had an 80kmph gust here in Ballyhaunis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Slates coming off houses on Eyre street Galway salt hill car parks completely flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Severe winds castlebar now.

lovely heading home soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Some places along the west coast will be seeing peak gusts now over the next hour. Winds will increase along the coast further north as the evening and night goes on.

The red warning is valid for 3pm to 3am.

Where are you ?

I was out the back garden but when i heard the branch creaking I ran inside. I'm in the living room now with my dog and a nice cuppa. It really is bad out there now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Severe gusts here in Fahy, Westport. Living room window flexing like mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    According to Galway Indo Facebook page: Salthill Prom will be closed from Grattan Road to Seapoint from 5pm today, Galway City Council has advised

and the Advertiser says: The car park beside the Atlantaquarium in Salthill is under three ft of water. approx 7 cars stranded in there.

It's a bad palce to park when any kind of costal flooding is forecast.
    It's certainly not the first time this as happened there.

Picture from twitter here
    http://t.co/Ucjd7UrqJt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement