Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Any webcams in the west? Struggling to find any online.

There's one in Eyre Square in the city AFAIK, Galway Advertiser regularly have shots of it, how to access it though I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

Starting to pick up again in Inshowen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lights still flickering in Castlebar, seems like just a matter of time before the power goes, and wanted to watch the match later as well, gusts seem to be getting stronger if that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Oceanscene webcam lahinch or the lahinch surfshop....
    Should be a few surfshop Web cams around thewest of iIreland. ..

Some will be lit up others in darkness. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is this the peak of wind strengths ? East galway 35 km from city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Power gone in louisburgh since before 6.the wind is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Proper, howling strong wind with gusts that make your ears pop just outside Sligo town now.

So far the wind is still mostly southerly which means the greater Sligo town area gets a fair bit of shelter from the land and mountains to the south ...once it turns due west the story will be different though with mountain ranges either side of town creating a nice funnel effect for the wind coming in straight from the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

In a race to get the dinner cooked before the power goes! Lights flashing here on Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

Good to know you set up this profile today to troll this thread......

Reported. I'm not the one trolling. I'm interested in the storm and the people it affects, ifyou're not just jog on, there's a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Had a look around this graphic and the west of Ireland is experiencing the strongest winds on the planet at the moment (or at least very close to)
    Which is pretty cool.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=3.94,42.62,304

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Malcolm. wrote: »
    I'm not the one trolling. I'm interested in the storm and the people it affects, ifyou're not just jog on, there's a good lad.

Can a mod pls ban this nuisance and to think I got a warning earlier for telling him to stop ha

Mod note

Again, use the report post function - do not respond on thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Where are the mods?

Mod note
    use the report post function - do not respond on thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Geomy wrote: »
    Oceanscene webcam lahinch or the lahinch surfshop....

lahinch_zpsf23dec32.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Two more from the Prom in Galway (stolen from Facebook).

996781_10152088120396941_1112171776_n.jpg

996992_10152088120416941_1162853161_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Did she say 78knts at Mace head on RTE weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Donegal can expect rapid increase in wind speeds to peak at 60 kt gusting to 90 kt in exposed locations.

Level 3 conditions probably being experienced in some parts of coastal Galway, Mayo, Sligo and later Donegal.

Level 2 would continue to apply inland Connacht and Ulster, some parts of north Leinster and west Munster.

Centre of low ran over K4 buoy about 1730h, lowest pressure hourly report 956 mb but probably lower between obs, centre probably about 948 mb now, near 55.5N 11.0W beginning to turn slightly more north than northeast.

Where winds already near peak, expect them to ease slightly around 10-11 pm near Galway Bay and around midnight near Donegal Bay, but will howl all night further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

pad199207 wrote: »
    Temp drop here after the squall passed through

5C3893F7B3414F2990B298E796974A74-0000334566-0003461424-00720L-9BD3FBBFA90140529C5318098959B230.png

Neat, I've one fairly similar, thanks, I had to look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Villain wrote: »

Yes. Sustained winds were 6kt below hurricane force at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep Mace Head recorded a gust of 78 knots, that's 144km/h in the last hour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Gust of 90 mph at mace head. 144 kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Villain wrote: »

gust of 78kts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes. Sustained winds were 6kt below hurricane force at 6pm.

Yes that is 144km/hr not 135 as shown on broadcast.

Wonder what 7pm Obs will have for us, great pictures from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Some good news. The M6 buoy has resurfaced from the bottom of the ocean and is reporting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Weathering wrote: »
    Can a mod pls ban this nuisance and to think I got a warning earlier for telling him to stop ha

Thank god, someone said it, im getting really irritated by this nuisance and no one would like me when I'm irritated !!!

Have to go out now to a mass, whats the prospects for west wicklow, anyone?

Thanks for the great updates, I've been riveted to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

Weathering wrote: »

Listen, I've had quite enough of this pointless and distracting abuse from certainindividuals here. I enjoy weather forecasting and the science behindit. I joined here to follow the storm and the people it effects. Iexpressed surprised earlier that SOME people kept wishing for a stormto big enough to cause problems. One lady has already been killed. Idon't believe that's what forecasting is about. I enjoy weatherforecasting and the science behind it, and its use in helping others.If you don't like me for it, I don't give a shyte. Don't reply.

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Wind starting to pick up in Burnfoot, Donegal. Cloud thickening up but still patchy. Temp dropping. Still nothing too extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

From Roger J Smith on netweather a.k.a MT

Expect widespread damaging wind gusts to 110 mph in parts of Northern Ireland and western Scotland (including some parts of east where exposed to channelling of westerly winds) and some parts of northwest England too, as this storm has wound up to near 950 mbs and is still dropping, could bottom out close to 943 mbs near Hebrides later. There may be some 2-3m storm surge or at least enhanced tide problems (given the type of coast and large tidal ranges naturally, this may be hit or miss, but Galway Bay already having issues with water levels). This storm will produce moderate rather than minor damage and some roofs may be partially or totally removed, if in areas outlined, would definitely cancel any travel plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Some good news. The M6 buoy has resurfaced from the bottom of the ocean and is reporting again.

Holy lord 8.1 meter wave heights, that's 25 feet approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Winds picking up big time...slates doing a wee dance on the roof during the gusts. Just got stabilizers put onto my stove flue on the roof today. This will be the test!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bought an external awning blind for large velux in young lads room few weeks back to try lessen noise of rain. Its gone now :O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement