Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town.. Vicious out there... sitting here just waiting for a massive bang from something. Lights flickering (but its ok Fair City is on)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Nothing too dramatic down here. Just child and blustery.

Cork City.

Any risk of it picking up again this far south

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

mike65 wrote: »
    500 people on the forum, 100,000 thread views! Its not even that awful a storm in the scheme of things.
    I'm in Claremorris now, not far from Met Station.

You're right - this doesn't seem much worse than what we had last weekend.

Barometer has been rising here for last hour or so.

Am I right in thinking that barometer pressure is at it's lowest when storm is at it's peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As per 20:00 h readings on XC weather there's only a few km/h between windspeeds in Belmullet vs Strandhill airport (78/111 vs 72/107) ...that's scary.
    In a usual storm there's a good 20 km/h of a slowdown between out there and back here

EDIT ...forget that ...the Belmullet reading is one hour older :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

gugsy wrote: »
    Fecking mobile keypads
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

post-8246-0-42653900-1387397832.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Electricity is out in Parts of South Dublin. Expected the west to lose power but not Dublin
    Well when a tree falls on a line,the electricity it carries won't care if it's in Dublin or Donegal...
    Winds were forecast to be strong enough in the Dublin area to down trees too(just not as many as in the west) and down them it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

I'm at work now in Rosses Point, Sligo. Very windy indeed. I do not have access to a letterbox here but I am concerned for the state of my letter box at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Belmullet gusting to 130 km/h now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Electricity gone in Louisburgh side of Westport from what I hear and also out towards Leenaun in Westport.

Oddly there is a lull here, I can hear it when I stick my head outside the back door, its high in the sky at the moment. May it stay there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Electricity gone in parts of Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Lissavane wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that barometer pressure is at it's lowest when storm is at it's peak?

Depends on the event and your proximity to its center. However, I see I have a 977 hPa @ 14:59 today and I have a maximum wind gust today @ 15:04 and we had the rood collapse on a train at Kent Station at 15:05 according to 'eye witnesses'.

So for me, yes, elsewhere I suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wind picking up here now in Dublin. Quite gusty. Any showers will aid brining the high winds to the surface.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/
    There is also a free smart phone app .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Power gone in Dun Laoghaire and just down the road from me in Deansgrange (Dublin), was a few flickers here, looks like we just escaped it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some pictures and video on this guys facebook of flooding in Salthill Galway

https://www.facebook.com/brian.mcgrath.908

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Seeing as I'm one of the masses following - it seems to be easing South Sligo - did see some lightening earlier - wind gone from scary gusts to I think those gusts aren't as bad ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Pretzill wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm one of the masses following - it seems to be easing South Sligo - did see some lightening earlier - wind gone from scary gusts to I think those gusts aren't as bad ...

In Sligo town and the wind just blew my sky dish right off the wall, luckily it missed my car :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Calmed down a lot here I though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Meanwhile here in north Sligo, just as you think it may be easing a bit, back it comes again with renewed vigour.

Some of the gusts are up there with the strongest I've ever experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

I have work in Kilkenny tomrrow afternoon. Shouldnt be too bad around this part?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Windy out tonight !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Fitzo wrote: »
    Calmed down a lot here I though!

here? where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

rizzodun wrote: »
    In Sligo town and the wind just blew my sky dish right off the wall, luckily it missed my car :eek:

Some benefits to living 15 miles or so inland (- mind you my clothes line is lying in the yard) And now those gusts sound stronger again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Aestivalis wrote: »
    I have work in Kilkenny tomrrow afternoon. Shouldnt be too bad around this part?

Tomorrow will be fine. Scattered wintry showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It does seem to be calming down a bit now, barometer rising, just been out to check that the hen house is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Weathering wrote: »
    here? where?

Sligo Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just back from claremorris , seems to have calmed down a bit castlebar . the roads are very quiet.

all my lights are still on.

i think the worst maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Picking up here in Galway City again it seems. Not as bad as earlier but noticeable all the same.:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement