Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The strongest winds I've ever witnessed in Donegal town, the roar is deafening and actually quite eerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Depends on the event and your proximity to its center. However, I see I have a 977 hPa @ 14:59 today and I have a maximum wind gust today @ 15:04 and we had the rood collapse on a train at Kent Station at 15:05 according to 'eye witnesses'.

So for me, yes, elsewhere I suspect not.
    Thank you. Will have to educate myself.

Incidentaly, lights haven't even flickered here during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Really Freshened up in Letterkenny now, very stormy, will be interesting to see how long it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Squally showers moving in now Galway city feels very cold outside now Wind still howling as the showers come in hope we get to see some snow even if its only wet snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

bohsboy wrote: »
    The strongest winds I've ever witnessed in Donegal town, the roar is deafening and actually quite eerie.

Watched a video from last week's storm, never thought it could/would be that bad, I was impressed, yes it's frightening and eerie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

I'm at work now in Rosses Point, Sligo. Very windy indeed. I do not have access to a letterbox here but I am concerned for the state of my letter box at home.

I heard she went out for the night with the girls, you are right to be concerned, I would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It sounds like a fleet of trucks and lorries passing right outside the front door!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

So when is this storm due to die down/pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Winds are abating slightly still some big gusts hail and thunder showers now in oughterard 5 degrees and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

It's seriously wild here in North Meath - as other posters have said the wind is so loud! Very worried about all the tall trees around my cottage .....:eek:. With the wind, the sky was clear about half an hour ago, but now it's clouding over and getting much darker ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

conor360 wrote: »

I'd say it's dying down already here, am around 8km from the Mace Head station GE tells me. At least that is how it sounds from the chimney-roar-ometer. There are still some nasty gusts but it sounds a lot less intense than earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    It's seriously wild here in North Meath - as other posters have said the wind is so loud! Very worried about all the tall trees around my cottage .....:eek:. With the wind, the sky was clear about half an hour ago, but now it's clouding over and getting much darker ..

whereabouts are you, I'm near rathkenny slane area and the sky is clear and its a bit blustery, but nothing like earlier when we lost power due to the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

It does seem to be calming down a bit now, barometer rising, just been out to check that the hen house is still there.

I'd say the hens were pretty freaked out!
    And who said they couldn't fly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

After the storm is gone, you will be treated to accumulations of snow north-westerly :)

Oh the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

whereabouts are you, I'm near rathkenny slane area and the sky is clear and its a bit blustery, but nothing like earlier when we lost power due to the wind

Half way between Nobber/Kingscourt - hoping for cloud cover, so no icy roads tomorrow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Electricity flickering here a bit in Sligo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Jeebus. Loudest gusts of the night just now. South of Donegal town. Lights flickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Have to leave now but my thanks to all those who contributed and especially the 'experts' who made the thread so enjoyable. Hats off to you guys and gals.

Chapeau

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Lights flickering in Burnfoot, Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

Mad windy here now in Buncrana last 15 mins. Power went out for a few secs but came back on thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Getting fairly breezy in Letterkenny over last half hour or so. Lights starting to flicker and Sky reception also close to going. Some shocking loud noises coming from my chimney but since I hate the wind, maybe it's not as bad as it seems to me!

All I want is to get to 11ish with power & tv then it can do whatever the hell it wants while I'm sleeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nothing exceptional at the moment going by the met reports, windiest station is Mace Head which is just gale force 9. Interesting to see what Malin Head records in in the next couple of hours though, doesn't look like it'll manage hurricane force though it has a habit of surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

May have to resort to putting a nappy on the dog it's seriously windy here about a few miles outside Glenties (Donegal) no sign of easing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

Getting fairly breezy in Letterkenny over last half hour or so. Lights starting to flicker and Sky reception also close to going. Some shocking loud noises coming from my chimney but since I hate the wind, maybe it's not as bad as it seems to me!

All I want is to get to 11ish with power & tv then it can do whatever the hell it wants while I'm sleeping.

agree work comes early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

zenno wrote: »
    After the storm is gone, you will be treated to accumulations of snow north-westerly :)

Oh the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow.

Now now. Don't be getting the hopes up.

Lights have been a flickering here a bit too.
    And shur if they go, they go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anluainnru

Noticeable drop in intensity here in Dromahair, Leitrim. Still gusty but nowhere near what it was an hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Pete M. wrote: »
    Now now. Don't be getting the hopes up.

Lights have been a flickering here a bit too.
    And shur if they go, they go :D

Mon capitan is never wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

Really strong gusts in north donegal haven't heard anything like this before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Oddly enough the wind has picked up quite noticeably here in Cork City.

I wasn't expecting much more wind this far south tonight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement