Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Great drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its been bad around Ballybofey/Stranorlar. Prolonged gusts for the last hour and a half. Power still on locally from what I can see but the old lights have flickered a wee bit and the Sky picture is off and on like the lights on a xmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusts picking up again in Castlebar after about an hours lull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Pete M. wrote: »
    Now now. Don't be getting the hopes up. :D

In my expert opinion, it snows only when the majority don't want it. In 2010 as example I called Goddess Chione a cissy ~ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just back in lots of branches down on the road, branches flying across the road

pretty stormy

donegal town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

ms_wobbly wrote: »
    Really strong gusts in north donegal haven't heard anything like this before
    where in north donegal? I'm in Buncrana and its a bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Macroom Co.Cork
    I seriously thought the house would blow away 10-15_min ago now its alot calmer! Very weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Its got a bit hairy here again in Limerick City. Some unpleasant gusty squalls.

We had sea type waves here on the Shannon during the torrential rainshower this afternoon between 2.40 and 3.20 or so.

It would also appear, according to the AA Roadwatch website, that Limerick has also been very affected by the wind and blown quite a bit North :eek:

LIMERICK: The GMIT exams are on this week at Ballybrit Racecourse until Fri 20th. Extra traffic can be expected in the area throughout the day but particularly in the morning and evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

So far its no were near as bad as the storm a year or two ago in January when Malin broke its record for sustained wind. No were near. It happened in the middle of night tho. Tbh there are a few severe gusts now and then but nothing special. Could all change yet(Donegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

MetO keeping their 9pm Obs reports close to their chests!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wind has gone down a notch or two from "somewhat worrying" to "mildly annoying" ...but it's lashing rain now

near Sligo town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

55knots Belmullet. Was expecting more

Wind gusts so far.

Mace Head (144 km/hr)
    Belmullet (130 km/hr)
    Finner (120 km/hr)
    Newport May (117 km/hr)

(No major increases on the 21z reports)

Weathering wrote: »
    55knots Belmullet. Was expecting more

Strange difference between Mace & Belmullet. Thought it would be the other way around!

BELMULLET(A) W 31 Gust 55

MACE HEAD GALWAY(A) W 46 Gust 63

Weathering wrote: »
    So far its no were near as bad as the storm a year or two ago in January when Malin broke its record for sustained wind. No were near. It happened in the middle of night tho. Tbh there are a few severe gusts now and then but nothing special. Could all change yet(Donegal)
    Remember it well just moved into a new house that year. Storm was 2008, Jan 9th lost 40-50 roof tiles thougnht the roof was coming off. Now that was scary ****! 91knt gust that night, my front window was like an accordion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

In my humble opinion so far the west got the biggest battering mace head 144kph, from 5pm until 7pm it was proper scary sitting In the house with house shaking and windows bending, floods in multiple locations and a very bad accident reported on motorway about two hours ago near athenry keep safe all especially in the northwest..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

We need some videos. Its as calm as anything down here in the South East.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As above, was quite for the hour and I went and fixed the dish. :) But now "hell" is back, ears have nearly popped again and its starting to build again now. 2 big big gusts there. The wife, AKA "a townie" is scared shi!TL"ss at the minute! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yop wrote: »
    The wife, AKA "a townie" is scared shi!TL"ss at the minute! :D
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Heavy hail now in south Kerry,
    Although winds have eased at times, The gusts remain as strong as they have been all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the_shark

Waiting for the roof to come off here.a road was blocked with seaweed on the way home from work earlier.
    Belmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

My Mum phoned me earlier around 8.45pm, just so I could listen to the howl of the wind up in Donegal! (spoiled rotten I am)!! and boy was it roaring. It sounded like something out of a major film track.

Also went to Strandhill in Sligo earlier, but missed the cold front going through. Caught the start of the gale in Rosses Pt around 6pm and then had a hairy enough journey back to Dromahair as the road is tree lined most of the way. Branches down, trees listing, leaves and large puddles added to the heart thumping fun!! Phew

Home sweet home, now if all the trees surrounding the house make it through the night I will be happy!

Remember it well just moved into a new house that year. Storm was 2008, Jan 9th lost 40-50 roof tiles thougnht the roof was coming off. Now that was scary ****! 91knt gust that night, my front window was like an accordion!
    Also remember the 1998 boxing day storm. We had some Aussie visitors from Christmas. 96knt at Malin. They were from Brisbane and had surprisingly never experienced sustained winds like that! We were all full of the xmas spirit, literally bushmills xmas spirit and thought it was funny how scared they were but looking back I have to say that was a mad one alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yop wrote: »
    As above, was quite for the hour and I went and fixed the dish. :) But now "hell" is back, ears have nearly popped again and its starting to build again now. 2 big big gusts there. The wife, AKA "a townie" is scared shi!TL"ss at the minute! :D

yeah its picking up here in crossmolina again..hopefully its the arse of it coming through and will be over sooner rather than later.. i was hoping when i was reading reports of donegal was getting a battering that we were finished with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

eskimocat wrote: »
    Home sweet home, now if all the trees surrounding the house make it through the night I will be happy!

Trees are our biggest killer and *possibly* property damage too. Trees should be no more [nearer] than their felling distance from a dwelling or a road.

That means, either the house, road or tree moves as the tree grows. I love trees, but we need to grow them properly.

I hate living or driving in fear of trees, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Strange difference between Mace & Belmullet. Thought it would be the other way around!

BELMULLET(A) W 31 Gust 55

MACE HEAD GALWAY(A) W 46 Gust 63

if the wind is directly south to north, mace head has zero shelter whilst belmullet has a little bit.. would that account for it , or would that mean that theres more to come..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Am surprised we still have power, getting about 45 kts SW with Gusts of 63 or about 120kph, slates are moving on the roof, lights dimming at times, its stormy out there folks, Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pictures of flooding in Donegal Town
    https://www.facebook.com/Donegal.Waterbus

• Advertisement

The sky just lit up and a big roll of thunder. Now rain starting as I type. Wind has died down considerably in last half hour.

Kinlough, Co. Leitrim

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement