Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Is it heading for Dublin

Appears to be evaporating before it gets to the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Appears to be evaporating before it gets to the east coast.

Typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Snow on the ground near Moate Westmeath, slushy ole stuff, not totally taken by surprise, it was flagged as possible. Twill be gone by dawn I'd say .Calm as a millpond now.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Sleet here in Clondalkin Dublin. Phone says 2 degrees...

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Snow here in Edenderry big shower when i woke up at 6:30 and looked outside, not sticking on ground but cars and bins covered.

• Advertisement

A thin dusting of snow here in south co. Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Was snowing here but not sticking 1.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Light Snow here now but mixing again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sleet in Finglas at least around 6am this morning. Getting windy now in Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Time to take down the "level 3" now I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are the models still showing a possible big Christmas Eve storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snowing in Galway city atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

A light dusting here in North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Snowed walking into work in leixlip around 20 mins ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Rain and hail beating against my window in Galway . Still sounds a bit windy at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

leahyl wrote: »
    Are the models still showing a possible big Christmas Eve storm?

There's nothing definite on the models no. There's all sorts of depressions appearing and disappearing between 23rd and 28th, with no real consistency. Some seem further north. There's definitely a moderate chance of us copping something at some stage, but no single monster storm is showing.

Also giving the widespread snow reports off back end of yesterday's storm I'd say there's certainly transient snow potential in the coming days, some of these depressions will pull in colder conditions in passing than we saw overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

heavy(ish)wet snow falling here again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Kent station was definitely a straight line wind event due to the squall line . Have the 3 pm radar image saved to my phone and all . .

My WS is 4km from the incident site at Kent Station I have my highest wind gust @ 15:04. My WS is significantly sheltered but recorded 49km/h at that time a jump from 25km/h.

Another poster reported a 111km/h gust from the airport and I'm 8 KM from there 6km lateral displacement. Kent station is 7km from the airport or 2.75km lateral displacement.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Sleet in Limerick City around half eight/quarter too nine this morning.

Met Eireann were calling another bout of heavy wind for Friday. Anyone agree/have models for this?

Oh, and thanks to all those posting up models, etc for the last few days. Makes for very interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Light dusting of the precious white stuff on Northern facing slopes in West Limerick this morning.

Was nice to see the first snow shower of the year too while having breakfast.

Looking forward to any future wind or snow events :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Had crazy luck yesterday I guess. Loaded in Bray form 10-12, took 16:30 Larne-Cairnryan ferry, arrived in Edinburgh at 21:30 and unloaded until 23:00.

There was a bit of heavy wind while waiting in Larne for the ferry and a bit of rain on the drive to Edinburgh, but other than that, there were no signs of any heavy weather at all and we were bone dry other than sweat loading and unloading, no rain at all :)

Returning on the 16:30 Cairnryan-Larne sailing today, hopefully we have the same luck, or is it meant to be bad again?

Looking very likely that low pressure will dominate the christmas period, a wet and windy pattern, too early to pin anything down in particular. About half the 0Z GFS ensembles going for very low pressure over or nearby us around 24th-26th with the mean dipping below 970mb.

JCUHyKl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Snow on the mountains above Roundwood this morning (guessing the snow line was around 250m) - only the icy remnants on the car when I was leaving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Can I say a special big THANKYOU to M.T. Cranium and Maquiladora in particular - I'm in south Mayo so we weren't the worst hit, but your regular analysis and updates were so helpful. My husband is a farmer and so he was able to schedule his outdoor and potentially dangerous work around the worst of the weather, and most importantly stayed safe throughout. I know that is not the aim of your forecasting, you observe the models and satellite imagery and cannot provide 100% accuracy of course there are so many variables, and you don't replace the Met Eireann service - but you did provide live updates and gave our family a bit of extra knowledge and preparedness. So thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Looking very likely that low pressure will dominate the christmas period, a wet and windy pattern, too early to pin anything down in particular. About half the 0Z GFS ensembles going for very low pressure over or nearby us around 24th-26th with the mean dipping below 970mb.

JCUHyKl.gif

A few snowflakes bottom right too. ThiS period of low pressure is throwing up some well weird looking ensembles. Very different weather from recent years. Rare weather I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Local DJ and morning show host on 96fm is insisting on calling the Kent Station event a Mini Tornado, despite he having been correctly advised as to what the event was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

What officially was the event called in Kent station?
    Ive heard it being called a whirlwind vortex and mini tornado now!

A close shave on the 23rd? Worth keeping an eye on.

TYPirQ9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Although I am on this board a long time its still a learning curve and a very enjoyable one for me as I am very interested in the weather, thanks to MT mag ,Ian and everyone else more learned than me for all the brilliant updates on this storm ye were spot on with it, well done guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

On the Cork Kent Station thing.

I would speculate that the reason for that was the direction and strength of the wind.

The Lower Glanmire road and the railway lines to Cobh and Midleton run in a cutting into the Montenotte ridge that forms a cliff that's at least as high as a 30 story building.

The other side is the River Lee at its widest part and as it flows through the Cork Docks and into the harbour. It's all artificial structure and smooth walls and a pretty big expanse of water.

The wind seems to have been channeled up along the railway and N8 (Lower Glanmire Rd) and was funneled by the Montenotte ridge and cliffs straight into the railway station which sits right between the cliffs and the point where the river narrows and becomes the old docks and city quays.

(Kent Station is actually accessed from Dublin via a very long tunnel that runs right under the Northeast of Cork City )

I would guess that it got a similar effect to what can happen in Chicago with winds of the lake being funneled by high buildings. Only in this case it was funneled by the river and a very step cutting.

It's quite an unusual bit of urban landscape by Irish standards!

It would be interesting to get the precise wind speed and direction.
    The NRA has a weather station at Tivoli Docks about 2 or 3km further east along the N8 and I'm sure the harbour commissioners probably have some wind direction monitoring gear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement