Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting feature for Saturday on 18z, these little lows can cause trouble
    with unexpectedly strong winds, they rise and fall quickly, something ala 1997.

They are really dangerous features and must be closely watched, only few ECMWF Ensembles built
    it to this level, but it is these types of features that don't get forecast properly until much closer
    to the event.

Also looking at the timing, striking during Saturday afternoon with Dublin at major risk, would be a real dangerous event.

gfs-0-48.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Very quiet in here considering we have a code orange tomorrow! It will be interesting to see if Mondays event is going to be any closer to our shores.

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

Nothing about orange here ... Or am i looking at the wrong place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

weisses wrote: »

www.met.ie has a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

IE-131220.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Will all the country be affected, or should we wait and see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Wouldn't Meteoalarm not automatically take over the warnings from any national weather service? ... pretty useless the way it is now it seems

Wouldn't Meteoalarm not automatically take over the warnings from any national weather service? ... pretty useless the way it is now it seems

Met Eireann supply the warnings to Meteoalarm. You're looking at todays page on Meteoalarm. Click on tomorrow.

The best thing is wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

aisling86 wrote: »

That's from yesterday

• Advertisement

Weathering wrote: »
    That's from yesterday

No, thats for tomorrow. But thats a private weather website though. Not official Met Eireann warnings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tomorrow see's a large area of 45-60kt wind gusts. Very strong winds, but nothing too exceptional, however the winds will be felt much more widespread than during yesterday's event and could cause minor damage.

No, thats for tomorrow. But thats a private weather website though. Not official Met Eireann warnings. :)

My Mistake, that link was yesterdays storm but I just saw the red warning for tomorrow as well ha

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

No, that was last years winter weather forecast, THIS is this years: COLD winter ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Past few days MT Cranium has been spot on - earlier warnings of events than our own "dear" Met Eireann. Thanks so much MT - I look up your forecasts before Met.ie these days and it's a great help. I LOVE WILD WEATHER, just hate driving in it - so it's great to be prepared !

Interesting feature for Saturday on 18z, these little lows can cause trouble
    with unexpectedly strong winds, they rise and fall quickly, something ala 1997.

They are really dangerous features and must be closely watched, only few ECMWF Ensembles built
    it to this level, but it is these types of features that don't get forecast properly until much closer
    to the event.

Also looking at the timing, striking during Saturday afternoon with Dublin at major risk, would be a real dangerous event.

gfs-0-48.png?18

It's an interesting little feature alright. NAE and HIRLAM don't seem to develop it much or at all though so low probability at the moment I'd say.

u9eseEw.png

Possibility of a secondary low on Monday needs to be watched too.

PDClcgg.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I mentioned that one this morning, its the type of feature that can suddenly pop up as being severe when a few hours earlier it was forecast as nothing more than a bit of a breeze. We'll be glued to the models all week again by the looks of it, plenty of interesting weather possible through the coming week, gotta love these active setups

When was the last time you saw a 949mb low off the Wexford coast? Think this would end up a bit further north. Lots to keep an eye on.

rxuMBDh.gif

It mightn't be that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I think the Update on the Fax chart tonight has Mondays storm closer again!

• Advertisement

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I think the Update on the Fax chart tonight has Mondays storm closer again!

Yes it does

Weathering wrote: »
    Yes it does

Yeah looks like they didn't change anything from the UKMO.

UW96-21.GIF?19-18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

When was the last time you saw a 949mb low off the Wexford coast? Think this would end up a bit further north. Lots to keep an eye on.

rxuMBDh.gif

Now if only we got that with a nice snow covered Europe to our East... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

rxuMBDh.gif

To me there always the dangerous one's ENE or north wind, when we're conditioned for the prevailing SW mean's more damage than normal. was in the city yesterday during the squall, i swear it sound like a hurricane and at one point in time thought i could hear an air raid siren:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann 2349 update and they are not taking any chances this time....Monday: Stormy on Monday and into Monday night, as heavy rain and gale force southerly winds give way to colder showery conditions with gale force southwest winds with severe squalls, which may cause some structural damage in places

How about Christmas eve?

Met Eireann 2349 update and they are not taking any chances this time....Monday: Stormy on Monday and into Monday night, as heavy rain and gale force southerly winds give way to colder showery conditions with gale force southwest winds with severe squalls, which may cause some structural damage in places

While the exact details of what happens on Monday (and the rest of the week...) remain unknown, it's safe to say that one thing we won't see will be high pressure and settled weather! It's like as if someone flicks a stick at 0Z on ther 23rd.

snIa99h.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cold, very windy and showery on Christmas Eve, some showers possibly wintry on higher ground of the west or northwest. Afternoon highs of 5 to 7 degrees.
    Cold and frosty overnight.
    Latest indications suggest a frosty start to Christmas morning. The day is expected to be cold and bright day with some showers especially in the south and west with another milder, wet and extremely windy or stormy period expected on St Stephen's day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You would think they would have waited until their morning update and further information charts available as still a lot of uncertainty.

• Advertisement

Just saw the weather report with Martin King. Clare, where I live, looks ok for today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement