Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Grrr with all the model interest over Tomorrows mesoscale synoptics showing on the GFS to the crazy 935mb ECM monster for Tuesday ... I would GLADY sit in front of my laptop all day ... :(

But noooo... I has to work 12-9 today ... AND tomorrow ....

Tomorrow could be quite severe for SE and E if that cut off low spins up .
    I wonder what the Harmonie model is showing...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Actually on the Dublin to Holyhead fast ferry tomorrow morning and just got a text saying its been cancelled. Have moved me unto the cruise ferry extra 2 hours on board :mad:. Gonna be a bad crossing think ill skip the breakfast :pac:

the very best of luck. I hate to think of anybody travelling in this kind of weather. keep safe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I need a few dry hours in Galway. The forecast suggests that the rain will last all day but the radar & Atlantic charts suggest a dry spell between the warm & cold fronts.

Do I have any hope of a couple of dry hours this afternoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Hopefully we will have cross-model consensus later on whether or not tomorrow's feature will come to fruition. Just saw the GFS and it looks nasty, damage if that chart comes to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A few of the GFS ensembles develop tomorrows potential troublesome low into something closer to Dec 1997. Outside chance of a severe event, though most don't seem to develop it quite as much as the operational.

gens-14-1-36.png?6
    gens-16-1-36.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Was just looking through the ensembles myself too Maq ... might have to organise my lunch around the 12z to see what unfolds! ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

An interesting week ahead by the sound of the met forecast, daily storms, severe squalls, hail and snow, heavy rain, frosts etc. Plenty of travel disruption possible for Christmas week, hoping my flight tomorrow will be fine!
    Any remaining frost and icy patches will clear by dawn.
    Dry at first apart from isolated showers and rain along the west coast.
    Becoming very wet and extremely windy during the morning and early afternoon, as very heavy rain and gale force southerly winds sweeps eastwards with gusts of 100 to 120km/h in exposed places. Risk of local spot flooding.
    Highest temperatures 10 or 11 degrees.

Tonight

Rain will clear eastwards later this evening with heavy showers following overnight, especially to southern and western counties. Winds easing a bit, but still very windy in the northwest. Overnight lows of 4 to 7 degrees.

Tomorrow

Very showery on Saturday with heavy showers in many areas and some more prolonged heavy rain at times in parts of the west and south. Fresh and very blustery southwest winds and top temperatures of 8 or 9 degrees, but turning colder through the afternoon and evening.

Outlook

Very disturbed weather through the next week with some extremely windy or stormy periods likely
    Cold on Saturday evening and overnight with further showers, mostly in southwestern, western and northern counties, some turning wintry in places overnight.
    Sharp frost developing with icy stretches on untreated surfaces and overnight lows of around zero.
    Sunday will be very cold with blustery westerly winds and occasional wintry showers. Falls of sleet and snow are likely - especially in the west and north of the country. Cold and frosty for a time Sunday night, but temperatures rising overnight as more heavy rain and strong winds spread countrywide by Monday morning.
    Monday: Potentially stormy on Monday and into Monday night, as heavy rain and gale force southerly winds give way to colder showery conditions with gale force southwest winds with severe squalls, which may cause some structural damage in places.
    Cold, very windy and showery on Christmas Eve, some showers possibly wintry on higher ground of the northwest. Afternoon highs of 5 to 7 degrees.
    Cold and frosty overnight.
    Latest indications suggest a frosty start to Christmas morning. The day is expected to be cold and bright day with some showers especially in the south and west with another milder, wet and extremely windy or stormy period expected on St Stephen's day

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Its quite a calm and settled morning here I don't think its gonna stay like that ... This thread could go on and on, were at page121 and it looks like at least another week of windy/stormy weather

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Im in a confined building in Galway and it sounds like its windy

yop wrote: »

Yeah, the strong winds should be starting to reach the west coast around about now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

howlinwolf wrote: »
    Its quite a calm and settled morning here I don't think its gonna stay like that ... This thread could go on and on, were at page121 and it looks like at least another week of windy/stormy weather

Great! ! I enjoy nothing more than being on sofa with a cuppa checking all the updates on here and following weather developments. It was frantic on Wednesday afternoon and if these series of potential storms materialise then its going to be mental in here over next few days! Bring it on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

yop wrote: »
    Yeah, the strong winds should be starting to reach the west coast around about now.

SW'ly Wind gusting up to 31mph atm in Galway city
    Mean 15mph
    Barometer 1003.39 hPa :Falling quickly -1.39 hPa/hr

Something to keep an eye on today maybe.

YMvEZ9u.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I'm in Cork Airport at moment and it's gusty..

The official report @11:00h was SW 21kts gusting to 37... but it does 'feel' stronger in last few mins.

Kinsale Energy @ 11:00h 40 gusting to 46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Starting to pick up a bit in West Limerick.

Getting nice and blustery now :)

I haven't had time to check, but does the kink in the isobars east of Newfoundland plotted with nearby ship reports correspond to tomorrows potential troublesome low?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 91km/h at my Waterford City station in the last 15 mins.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

conditions in Mayo at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's pretty nasty in Cork City at the moment. Fairly strong gusts, cold and wet.
    Not a great one for the retailers unfortunately.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Where in Mayo is that buck? I have to head out of Galway for Castlebar, but wasn't due to head for another 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Im in Louisburgh, i doubt its that bad in castlebar.

Ah yes, the wild wild wild West! :D Was back a funeral there yesterday evening, was calm enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very wet in Castlebar at the moment, basically has been all day, not as windy as the last few days though, just the odd strong gust.

Xenji wrote: »
    Very wet in Castlebar at the moment, basically has been all day, not as windy as the last few days though, just the odd strong gust.

Thanks, ya I thought it wasn't too bad, though the place here in Ballybrit is getting a hammering, I can hear the vents rattling :D A well it will be loads of fun!!!

Meant to be going for a few pints on Monday night in Murrisk, better not be windy!! We've been trying to get the lads around for months! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Impressive looking upper pressure and temp gradients in the Atlantic in the run up to Christmas on the ECM en mean run so fingers crossed for Monday :) While not everyones cup of tea, understandably, I personally much prefer seeing reasonably vigorous weather like this than the cold, slack and unnervingly uneventful winter patterns we have seen in recent winters.

285384.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The recent spell of weather has certainly not been boring.

The roller coaster ride continues for the nect 4 to 5 days, providing a welcome distraction st this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Getting very windy here in south Kerry, Far worse than the last event in terms of sustained winds,Much more of an increase and it would become very dangerous to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Rain chucking against the window here in Fermoy, nice and blustry as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Tis blushtery and raining in North Dublin. Have my Xmas party but just want to stay in and cuddle my little girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Drizzle and blustery here in carlow at the mo pretty borin today compared to Wednesday here's hopin tomorrow and Monday will be more of an event.... How's the low lookin for us here in the southeast for tomorrow, there was talk that we could be in for a bit of a battering, is it still on or have the models flipped ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement