Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

howlinwolf wrote: »
    How's the low lookin for us here in the southeast for tomorrow, there was talk that we could be in for a bit of a battering, is it still on or have the models flipped ?

GFS, at the moment, is showing it quite stormy tommorow afternoon/early evening for Leinster, and especially for the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Winds are starting to pick up now in Castlebar, the gusts are getting more sustained, still very wet as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z NAE does develop two little features tomorrow, though not as strong as previous GFS runs, and the second one is south of us.

13122115_2012.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Fairly windy and pissing down here in galway. About to make an unnecessary journey to dublin for a night out.

Am I mad? Having second thoughts, I really don't fancy hitting the motorway with the winds been reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusts @ Belmullet to 58 knots
    Mace Head @ 55 knots
    Newport, Mayo @ 55 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

Pretty Crazy here in cork at the minute - driving rain and very windy.

The kink on the 12z GFS is already looks less pronounced @ 12hrs.

--

GFS 12z has dropped the feature for tomorrow on first inspection.

As for Monday, the latest GME looks a tad concerning..

gme-0-72.png

Back to tomorrow & GFS, still has a type of feature but much less developed. Still one to keep an eye on. Satellite and Atlantic pressure synopses plots will be important tonight.

gfs-0-30.png?12?12

The kink on the 12z GFS is already looks less pronounced @ 12hrs.

--

GFS 12z has dropped the feature for tomorrow on first inspection.

Still there, but its weaker, more in line with what other models are showing now. Still need to keep an eye on it though just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Very blustery M6 Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Still pretty blustery here and raining too.
    No severe gusts, just a typical winter day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Still there, but its weaker, more in line with what other models are showing now. Still need to keep an eye on it though just in case.

Its a strange little anomaly, is there a proper term for it? If it stays on the models till the mornin it could get nasty for some, then again it could be out at sea where it occurs

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

El festino wrote: »
    Fairly windy and pissing down here in galway. About to make an unnecessary journey to dublin for a night out.

Am I mad? Having second thoughts, I really don't fancy hitting the motorway with the winds been reported.

Very blustery M6 Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

As for Monday, the latest GME looks a tad concerning.

Concerning as in bad? full on storm?

Reported driving conditions difficult between Mallow and Cork at the moment.

I'm told the combination of wind and rain along with the approaching dusk are making driving a little unpleasant.

Monday's initial low doesn't deliver much of a punch on the 12Z GFS, but then it gets messy and complex with secondary features and and main low itself looping around a bit. A wet and windy Monday/Tuesday with potential for severe gusts at times for western/northwest areas there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

El festino wrote: »

if you feel uncomfortable driving in such conditions, then don't do it. there'll be other night outs.

I don't know which depression is going to deliver the goods, but the secondary feature into Tuesday could be nasty for parts of the north. I'll be very surprised if the northwest does not at least get gusts comparable to last Wednesday's systems before the new year.

:D
    Video displays as private.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tactical wrote: »
    Video displays as private.

I'm sure I can see snow in the darkness?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Some pretty strong gusts hitting us at the moment. Haven't had a chance to replace the 3 slates I lost on Wednesday. Hope to god more don't go tonight!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The wind and rain is hitting Dublin just in time for the rush hour madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Gust of 67 mph at belmullet. That's 108 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Its not one for the faint hearted mind, landing in wind is a bad experience.

And he's coming back in tomorrow morning at 5.30am :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Its gone from windy to seriously wild in Galway.
    Not far off wednesday in the last 20 mins.

Quite windy here in the southeast. Nothing exceptional though. Similar to Wednesday afternoon, maybe a little stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The wind has intensified in Galway city in the last 10 mins and its thoroughly miserable out there with driving rain!

Wind F5 Westerly, Max gust 41mph, Mean 22mph
    Barometer 996.38 hPa: Falling quickly -1.24 hPa/hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

And he's coming back in tomorrow morning at 5.30am :eek:

i'm flying bristol-dublin christmas eve at 6:30am, seriously worried about delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Lumi wrote: »
    The wind has intensified in Galway city in the last 10 mins and its thoroughly miserable out there with driving rain!

Wind F5 Westerly, Max gust 41mph, Mean 22mph
    Barometer 996.38 hPa: Falling quickly -1.24 hPa/hr

Liiks like a little squall line just passed over Galway according to the radar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement