Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ZX7R wrote: »
    One more question, do all storms we get spin anti clockwise,or can they spin clockwise or does it have anything to do with us been in the north hemasphere

all low pressure systems rotate counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern. this is caused by converging wind flow acted on by the Coriolis effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Easing off now, but I thought the roof was going to come off there for a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very stormy in Galway now, the last hour has seen a big increase in wind strength

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Doing some further trawling...peturbation 16 has probably the biggest low I've seen in my life on any ensemble run. Low gets down to 905mb!

Also, that 'squal' just passed over and it was pretty meh. Just heavy rain and the wind is gone and has yet to come back. In D9.

EDIT: Lastly, even though the main runs have backed away from anything too severe, most ensembles have quite a vicious setup into Tuesday.

A monster low on Monday, if only it was a bit closer to us. At the moment it looks like Scotland will get the best of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest ECM just out now shifts the track of the low further away from us. Complex situation after that though, could be windier on Tuesday.

The OP has the low really bombing (fall of 40+ in 24hrs) between 0z Mon-0z Tues. :eek: I would reckon with this, there could be a wider wind field of stronger winds around that low than might be suggest on the charts at face value. Going to be an interesting one to watch.. Certainly more interesting than Ryan Turburdy who just came on the TV to tell us what a zany, fun-packed Late Late is on the way.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunder/lightning castlebar now....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The OP has the low really bombing (fall of 40+ in 24hrs) between 0z Mon-0z Tues. :eek: I would reckon with this, there could be a wider wind field of stronger winds around that low than might be suggest on the charts at face value. Going to be an interesting one to watch.. Certainly more interesting than Ryan Turburdy who just came on the TV to tell us what a zany, fun-packed Late Late is on the way.

Yeah good point, a large wind field would be a long duration event too.

I had a sneak at the 12Z postage stamps and at least 5 have a 925mb isobar at 96 hours, and on those crumby low res charts they would certainly translate to something sub-920 in reality. Would be amazing to see a beast like that so close to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Lots of Aircraft holding off Dublin airport at the moment due to weather.

Watch here : http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN65T

Listen here : http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

Do Both for best.

The OP has the low really bombing (fall of 40+ in 24hrs) between 0z Mon-0z Tues. :eek: I would reckon with this, there could be a wider wind field of stronger winds around that low than might be suggest on the charts at face value..

yes, it could turn out to be notable for the same reason as the low pressure system in January 1990 was, but i doubt we'll experience conditions on a par with what happened in 1997 and 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yeah good point, a large wind field would be a long duration event too.

I had a sneak at the 12Z postage stamps and at least 5 have a 925mb isobar at 96 hours, and on those crumby low res charts they would certainly translate to something sub-920 in reality. Would be amazing to see a beast like that so close to home.

Not sure if you are aware Maq, but there is an option to download those EPS chart in PDF form (on right hand menu low down). On the PDF version, you can zoom in very close to each chart without any loss of quality at all.

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!168!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2009112700!!/

PDF link: http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/getchart/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!24!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2013122012!!chart.pdf

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

In wind terms today has nothing on the last day here on the costa del Connemara.

18Z GFS bottoms out at 926mb.

54845.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Holy Hand-grenades!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Mech1 wrote: »
    Lots of Aircraft holding off Dublin airport at the moment due to weather.

Watch here : http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN65T

Listen here : http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

Do Both for best.

That queue and them circles are something else. jesus.

Not sure if you are aware Maq, but there is an option to download those EPS chart in PDF form (on right hand menu low down). On the PDF version, you can zoom in very close to each chart without any loss of quality at all.

http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/catalog/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!168!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2009112700!!/

PDF link: http://www.ecmwf.int/samples/d/getchart/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!24!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2013122012!!chart.pdf

Yeah I only discovered that the other day, it's handy. It must use vector graphics or something to redraw each time you zoom. They are still crumby little charts though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

The end of the world:

285452.png

27/28th looking very windy too with another deep low with a wide wind field squeezing the isobars over us.

54849.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

omicron wrote: »
    The end of the world:

285452.png

Go home GFS, you're drunk! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Nice squall here in West Limerick now.
    Lying in bed listening to it.
    Lovely, just lovely.

Disappointing to see how the next few days are turning out. Was really hoping for a nice wind event.
    Oh heck, its been fun watching the various charts and following the discussion.
    I'm gonna be overly optimistic and hope that a rapid change happens in the charts, a change in our favour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The end of the world:

285452.png

Now that would be a very nice post Christmas present!

Would definitely liven things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Spare a thought for anyone flying home for christmas. :( Wind can feck off til christmas day.

The end of the world:

285452.png

If I remember correctly, there have been only 6 known extratropical storms below 930mb in the north Atlantic. The most recent one was in the last year or so, I remember watching it on the models, it was way out in the Atlantic though.

The deepest on record is 914mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Love extreme weather but some of those emsembles are just plain right scary:eek:...We really don't need this Christmas week with so many of us out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

dexter647 wrote: »
    Love extreme weather but some of those emsembles are just plain right scary:eek:...We really don't need this Christmas week with so many of us out and about

My shopping is done, tis grand !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

The end of the world:

What kind of sustained wind speeds would something like that generate? 70-80knots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Tactical wrote: »
    Now that would be a very nice post Christmas present!

Would definitely liven things up a bit.

A nice Christmas present for who? The grim reaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

resized_picard-wtf-meme-generator-winter-storm-make-it-snow-8ca959.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Lost TV and internet in the house since 9.30 this evening. Just remembered mobile internet. UPC needs to get the finger out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

V_Moth wrote: »
    What kind of sustained wind speeds would something like that generate? 70-80knots?

That storm would be more impressive for its size than its intensity, despite the look of that chart it wouldn't actually be all that bad for Ireland, the most intense wind would be well to the north west out in the Atlantic. With such a large windfield you'd probably get strong winds forcing their way further inland than usual rather than mainly being a coastal event but at a guess 50-60kts max over us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement