Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Anything coming for South Dublin - just putting kettle on and choccy biscuits been opened !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Update from Joe Bastardi on Twitter
    @BigJoeBastardi: Storm w/ CAT 4 PRESSURES to blast UK/Ireland Tues NO sugar coating severity

51CBAEAF-01BD-41DB-8845-F7BD2C1FE5F2-718-000000F25E76AF55_zps3db6606b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Might be time to update thread for possible Monday/Tuesday event, I suspect the ESB will have a hard time keeping the lights on everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Lumi wrote: »
    @BigJoeBastardi: Storm w/ CAT 4 PRESSURES to blast UK/Ireland Tues NO sugar coating severity

Ouch

Missus is supposed to fly out Tuesday 6 am from cork. will be driving most of the night to the airport then back to Dingle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well what's being projected for Monday night / Tuesday would cause mayhem considering those travelling, ESB on holidays etc.
    Tonights models will be crucial.......a red alert being issued by Met Eireann tomorrow looks a cert!

It could well be cold turkey for a lot of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Important to stress though that while pressure would be equal to a major hurricane, the winds will not be anything close to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Important to stress though that while pressure would be equal to a major hurricane, the winds will not be anything close to that.

Phew. I got sick in my mouth a little reading that. Wind scares the bejesus out of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Tuesday is starting to look like something to worry about, esp in the northwest, one thing to note though is we still have 48hrs of models flipping and flopping around...might only be an "event" for a small percentage of people..... definitely exciting though, keep up the great work lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Guys
    Can we keep this thread for discussing the potential wind event only please
    Current condition reports not relating to this topic have been moved here

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Today's afternoon tv forecast from met eireann did not mention anything about an event Monday. The forecaster just mentioned wind and rain pretty much skipped past it to say we'd see the end of turbulent weather on Christmas eve.

Do they know something we don't?
    Or do we know something they don't?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Guys
    Can we keep this thread for discussing the potential wind event only please
    Current condition reports not relating to this topic have been moved here

Thanks

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Today's afternoon tv forecast from met eireann did not mention anything about an event Monday. The forecaster just mentioned wind and rain pretty much skipped past it to say we'd see the end of turbulent weather on Christmas eve.

Do they know something we don't?
    Or do we know something they don't?:confused:

"The outlook is for very mixed conditions. There will be some dry, sunny spells but it will turn very poor at times over the Christmas period so please keep in touch with our forecasts and warnings and plan travel carefully."

Seems online they are saying different. In these conditions they need to be careful when to lay the wind cards on the table because if they falsely pick a day then another warning a couple of days later will not be heeded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well what's being projected for Monday night / Tuesday would cause mayhem considering those travelling, ESB on holidays etc.
    Tonights models will be crucial.......a red alert being issued by Met Eireann tomorrow looks a cert!

It could well be cold turkey for a lot of the country

Glad I cleaned the BBQ last week because it will be going on it if need be !

Truly fascinating period of weather after the dross of the last few weeks , there has been some excellent contributions here lately , long may it continue :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

The British Met Office is expecting it like this:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387584000

Would seem to be mainly the north only.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

nedsgarden wrote: »

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387584000

i don't think uk met include southern part of Ireland in there forecasts.i could be wrong

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So far 12z indicates it may be a bit deeper as it approaches our shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

nedsgarden wrote: »

Their world ends at the border, we're not within their remit so are not included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Slow moving gfs-0-66.png?12

gfs-0-72.png?12

• Site Banned Posts: 53 ✭✭Cuddled

Is this sh1t gonna get real or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

12z GFS isn't that bad at all IMO. Windy, but not much else, too far NW on this run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yep a Shift to the north on the latest Runs thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yep a Shift to the north on the latest Runs thankfully
    hopefully this will be the trend on the models as I don't fancy having no electricity just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Often wondered what it felt like to be one of the people for whom those big black circles were bearing down on, watching them approach and deepening as they come, well now I know!! OMG!!

Its great to get all the updates folks, thanks. So many boardsies online on the Saturday before Christmas can only mean one thing....extreme weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

David rogers on radio 1 just gave the forecast for over the Christmas period,no mention of any storm now just windy conditions at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

ECM1-72.GIF?21-0

Still looks stormy to me on all runs this evening.
    I wouldnt be too concerned what a forecast based on morning runs says

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM is an incredible 923mb at 72 hours. Will need to see what happens between 48 and 72 hours in terms of track and depth, it might even be lower than 923 at some point. 12Z GFS bottoms out at 924mb. Only about half a dozen north atlantic extratropical lows have ever been recorded below 930mb, for one to happen so close to Ireland really is exceptional, even if we don't end up with exceptional winds.

And check out the 12Z NAE, whats going on here?

13122312_2112.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yeah Maq I'm scratching my head too at the 12z NAE. Christmas week will be far from boring. Some mad looking charts being spewed out on all models. Interesting and perhaps somewhat dangerous times ahead.

Looks dangerous maq that nae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

GFS 12z also seemed to fall into line regarding the Friday 27th storm which has been looking apocalyptic for some time now, much weaker now.

ECM seems windier regarding Tuesday...but nothing too noteworthy this evening compared to yesterday, the North and west who'll bare the brunt of anything atm (unless it shifts back south), will have experienced the wind speeds before. Still a very windy day though.

In saying that though, as Maq has eluded to the last while, a truly exceptional storm being shown close to our shores.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement