Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 06z GFS looks rather close to some of the stronger 00z perturbations and would almost certainly produce 80-90 kt gusts in most exposed locations, trending to 60 knots in the southeast. But this is still only an approximation. There are some real warning signs on the maps already. The 250 mb winds over central Quebec are shown at 216 knots, a very high value. The developing low is currently a weak 1008 mb low (wave actually) just southeast of Newfoundland. Once the core of that jet arrives it can start to deepen rapidly.

Another disturbing feature is that the 498 dm height contour is progged to drop south into central Ireland by 48h as the low reaches Donegal Bay. Heights closer to the low centre will be 480 dm or so. These are truly arctic values that would imply a potential for severe cyclogenesis over 10-12 C ocean water. Except for the ocean temps, these are set-ups you might see around southeast Baffin Island which sees some very high wind gust values in deep cyclones (not quite as deep as this one).

Whatever the exact details of actual shape and gradient, there's a chilling effect to consider that this low is now progged to become within 10 mb as deep as the 1839 storm with a rather similar overall track and shape. I think that it would now take a very weak solution like a 945 mb centre and flabby gradient to prevent this from evolving into a severe windstorm at least for west coast and exposed locations elsewhere.

Then there's the second low which is going to evolve out of an already well-developed low crossing Ohio at the present time. This one has produced a lot of extreme weather in the past 24 hours such as 125 mm rainfalls in Kentucky, 5 cm ice accretion in eastern Ontario, severe storms in the eastern U.S. and the temperature contrast is extreme, warm sector has 21 C temps north to DC and 17 C in NYC, behind the storm is a surge of -15 to -25 C air. Although it is not yet deep or surrounded by strong wind fields, this will be easy to arrange once phased into the Atlantic jet.

So this second low timed for night of 26-27 Dec actually concerns me equally, many different depictions show it crossing Ireland rather than swerving north and the strongest winds would likely hit Cork and then Dublin. So even if it's not quite as strong as the first one, it has more ominous loading of severe gust potential.

Final point, agree that there is some snow potential during the colder phase of the strong winds and would stress disruption potential mainly in areas above 200m but travelers should expect to run into severe squalls of hail, sleet or snow almost anywhere on the 24th. It should be easing off considerably by Christmas morning, but the opening phases of the late 26th storm could be snow or sleet in parts of the north before milder air rushes in, then there could be severe storms with this one, so another difficult travel period around Friday morning (this could change considerably though).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS has 80-90mph gusts for northwest areas Christmas Eve morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Apologies if this isn't the place to ask. I've followed the thread for three days but can't really follow what's being said.

I'm driving from Tralee to Galway today and driving back tomorrow, probably mid-morning or early afternoon. What can I expect to face?

I'm an experienced driver with a solid car, weather doesn't usually phase me but I'm uncharacteristically anxious about conditions today for some reason, so thanks in advance for any forecasts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Apologies if this isn't the place to ask. I've followed the thread for three days but can't really follow what's being said.

I'm driving from Tralee to Galway today and driving back tomorrow, probably mid-morning or early afternoon. What can I expect to face?

I'm an experienced driver with a solid car, weather doesn't usually phase me but I'm uncharacteristically anxious about conditions today for some reason, so thanks in advance for any forecasts.

Early afternoon should be fine. Worst is Monday night into Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Great, very much appreciated!

• Advertisement

There will be heavy rain along with some strong gusts tomorrow morning but that should be cleared by early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Netweather has severe gales for Tuesday morning.
    ukwind.png

Can I be a total noob here and apologise in advance but how do I read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Red is bad that's all I no

Perturbations 2 and 20 on the GFS run create nearly unimaginable chaos with 920 mb lows for storm 2. Some other members of the ensemble are as weak as 970 mb. The range for storm 1 is narrowing a bit, I think.

Billie, you read that map by comparing the colours to the legend on the right, that gives you wind speeds in mph, and the direction can be found by following the streamlines on the map. The map is a forecast for 0900h on Tuesday 24th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy driving snow here at the moment, wasnt expecting that, doing its best to stick after all the rain we've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm driving from Dingle to Cork Airport and back then .... leaving at 2 AM Tuesday morning... Could be in for a rough trip so

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

Heavy hail with snow mixed in in Dublin 15...Castleknock.

10 January 1993. The most intense pressure ever recorded anywhere on earth outside of tropical storms & tornadoes. 916mb, estimated at 913mb :

Rcfsr_1_1993011018.png

06Z GFS at 48 hours shows this low about 10mb less intense than that historic storm, but its also much closer to Ireland/UK than the Braer storm at its peak.

Rtavn481.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Big snow flakes mixed with rain in North County Dublin.

Perturbations 2 and 20 on the GFS run create nearly unimaginable chaos with 920 mb lows for storm 2. Some other members of the ensemble are as weak as 970 mb. The range for storm 1 is narrowing a bit, I think.

Billie, you read that map by comparing the colours to the legend on the right, that gives you wind speeds in mph, and the direction can be found by following the streamlines on the map. The map is a forecast for 0900h on Tuesday 24th.

Thanks M.T appreciated

bcmf wrote: »
    Big snow flakes mixed with rain in North County Dublin.

Same here in Blanch

The Decemeber record for pressure recorded in Ireland is 942.8mb.

06Z GFS has the northwest coast within a couple of mb of that at 48 hours.

54894.jpeg

When was that record set?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Now these would be interesting solutions for Friday...

These type of storms would be similar to the 'Big Wind' event.

gens-20-1-120.png?6

gens-3-1-126.png?6

When was that record set?

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp

It doesn't say, but I'm guessing it was Malin Head, Dec 26th 1998.

Maybe someone knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

06Z GFS is very similar to the Met Office's new 4km resolution EURO4 model at 48 hours.

GFS :

13122406_2206.gif

EURO4 :

13122406_2206.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

I know this system is still not nailed on yet in terms of location and pressure but I find met.ie forcast for tomorrow and Tuesday very strange, considering as maq has said that its very very rare to have such a very low pressure system coming close to our shores.... I can understand met playing it safe, after all if it moves further north the winds will probably be nothing exceptional, but there is no mention of this pretty historic low in there forecast .... You would think this is the type of weather they get out of bed in the morning for... At least give it a mention even if your not sure of its path ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The storm report on the met website says that the 98 storm was below 950hPa and had the highest recorded pressure falls in 40 years (19hPa in 3 hours) but no mention of the lowest pressure on record. The storm on Dec 13th 2011 wasnt far off 945hPa if I remember it correctly..? On my phone so awkward to be checking records

Harps wrote: »
    The storm report on the met website says that the 98 storm was below 950hPa and had the highest recorded pressure falls in 40 years (19hPa in 3 hours) but no mention of the lowest pressure on record. The storm on Dec 13th 2011 wasnt far off 945hPa if I remember it correctly..? On my phone so awkward to be checking records

Yes, would have been about 955 at Malin Head.

Edit : Just looked at the Met Eireann Dec 2011 report. Lowest pressure was 963.1 at Malin.

And on the December 1998 report it says Malin was 955.1.

So I'm not sure when the 942.8mb December record is from.

Well I don't know what their period of record is, but suspect the pressure might have been close to 940 mb on 8 Dec 1886 when a very deep low crossed the north and was responsible for severe damage and maritime casualties on both sides of the Irish Sea (night of 8-9 Dec).

Netweather has severe gales for Tuesday morning.
    ukwind.png
    billie1b wrote: »
    Can I be a total noob here and apologise in advance but how do I read this?
    Put simply it shows the windspeed (colour) and direction expected at 9AM Tuesday morning. The Irish midlands can expect average winds of 24 mph and off the coast of Donegal it is expected to be over 70!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Reposting this from jirafa.

howlinwolf wrote: »
    I know this system is still not nailed on yet in terms of location and pressure but I find met.ie forcast for tomorrow and Tuesday very strange, considering as maq has said that its very very rare to have such a very low pressure system coming close to our shores.... I can understand met playing it safe, after all if it moves further north the winds will probably be nothing exceptional, but there is no mention of this pretty historic low in there forecast .... You would think this is the type of weather they get out of bed in the morning for... At least give it a mention even if your not sure of its path ?

Well the 06Z HIRLAM has it as a sub-930mb low like the other models, but seems to be less intense in terms of strong wind potential over Ireland. GFS has a close to 30mb pressure gradient over Ireland, HIRLAM is closer to 20mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

From the BBC forecast it looks like the UK are preparing for this as a big storm. Is it possible that it will affect them but not us?

Sky saying that UK rail and undergrounds will allow people travel today on tickets they have booked for trains tomorrow because of the weather warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement