Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like a pretty sustained battering on the NAE with the low staying near 928hPa and moving slowly northeast.

Winds still extremely strong at midday Christmas Eve.

Sustained winds 35-40mph right across a lot of the country there for a time.

13122409_2218.gif

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

the warnings on Met.ie have changed again, there is now an orange for a wider area, and for longer, and a yellow as well. Issued at 21:00 so it's a very changeable scenario right now, and the Orange relates to Tuesday, the Yellow is Monday.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan.

Preliminary Warning : A vigorous Atlantic storm depression is forecast to pass just to the northwest of Ireland overnight on Monday. The exact track is still not certain, but it is likely to bring some severe winds in over the country for late Monday night and for a time on Tuesday. Blustery southwest winds are expected to gust to between 100 km/h and 130 km/h. The highest gusts, at this stage, are expected in western and northern coastal counties. High Seas are expected also.
    Issued:
    Sunday 22 December 2013 21:00
    Valid:
    Tuesday 24 December 2013 00:01 to Tuesday 24 December 2013 16:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Wexford, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

South to southwest winds, of mean speeds 50 to 70 km/h will gust 85 to 100 km/h at times, in southern and western coastal counties on Monday.
    Issued:
    Sunday 22 December 2013 20:00
    Valid:
    Monday 23 December 2013 06:00 to Monday 23 December 2013 16:00

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Finally Met Eireann have a status Orange warning for the bulk of the country for tomorrow.

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

met eireann have explained it at last
    STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan.

Preliminary Warning : A vigorous Atlantic storm depression is forecast to pass just to the northwest of Ireland overnight on Monday. The exact track is still not certain, but it is likely to bring some severe winds in over the country for late Monday night and for a time on Tuesday. Blustery southwest winds are expected to gust to between 100 km/h and 130 km/h. The highest gusts, at this stage, are expected in western and northern coastal counties. High Seas are expected also.
    Issued:
    Sunday 22 December 2013 21:00

Valid:
    Tuesday 24 December 2013 00:01 to Tuesday 24 December 2013 16:00

Latest fax chart for 6pm Monday. Pretty much the same as the 18Z NAE at that time.

PPVE89.gif?31415

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

dopolahpec wrote: »
    All eyes on Friday. Could be grim indeed.

Hope not!! I'm flying out of Cork on Friday evening, heading back to Newcastle. I'm a nervous flyer in the best of weather :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It took them long enough, but that's the warning that was needed - orange all over the country. Could have done with issuing it earlier today though to allow people more time to amend travel arrangements, at this time of night on a Sunday most won't hear about it now until tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It took them long enough, but that's the warning that was needed - orange all over the country. Could have done with issuing it earlier today though to allow people more time to amend travel arrangements, at this time of night on a Sunday most won't hear about it now until tomorrow.

I suspect that a lot of people would have amended their travel plans to travel home this evening instead of tomorrow if a warning had been issued early today. There will be absolute travel chaos if we do get a nasty storm while everyone is trying to getaway for the Christmas.

From noon onwards today the Met Office in the UK were advising people to start their travel journeys as quickly as possible to avoid being delayed. Train services are already being rescheduled / cancelled in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Am i wrong in assuming that this sytem makes a rapid progression across the southeast, from what i'm seeing by 11am monday morning we're back to windy but nothing to write home about???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Clare is in the yellow warning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

aboyro wrote: »
    Am i wrong in assuming that this sytem makes a rapid progression across the southeast, from what i'm seeing by 11am monday morning we're back to windy but nothing to write home about???

At the moment it seems the south and southeast will see the strongest winds in the mornin as the rain passes through then it seems its up in the air as to how bad it gets particularly for the northwest, I'd imagine there's a few twists and turns yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What's the deal with this wave height chart for Tuesday?

Is that 50ft waves to batter the west coast?! :eek:

1-1387843200-1.gif

Source: magic seaweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Much higher % of very worrying ensembles tonight

Could be a very damaging storm yet.

gens-1-1-42.png?18

gens-7-1-36.png?18

gens-16-1-30.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Should level 2 not be changed in the heading by now :)

Looking at the 18Z GFS, if we do manage to break the December pressure record on Tuesday, which has stood from the late 19th century, it looks like it will last all of 3 days before being broken again.

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Should level 2 not be changed in the heading by now :)

Reckon wait until the 0zs, should be clearer then.

Best advice is to get most of your Christmas preparations done tomorrow afternoon as the weather is going to go downhill from tomorrow night no matter what the level of intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Driving from Dublin to Cork should be interesting on Tuesday.

Planning to leave Naas at 10am.

But hell, I love interesting weather ! :pac:

Reckon wait until the 0zs, should be clearer then.

Best advice is to get most of your Christmas preparations done tomorrow afternoon as the weather is going to go downhill from tomorrow night no matter what the level of intensity.

What time is the 0z run I'm still learning all the lingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I believe its at 00:00hrs notethe 0z... :D

All model output should be out by 7am. ;)

• Advertisement

should start rolling out about 03:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

It's best to play it by ear

Should say thats the GFS I maen

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Looking at the 18Z GFS, if we do manage to break the December pressure record on Tuesday, which has stood from the late 19th century, it looks like it will last all of 3 days before being broken again.

Just like buses ha ha

red_bairn wrote: »
    I believe its at 00:00hrs notethe 0z... :D

U obviously believe wrong hense the 3.30lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

NAE for Tuesday AM, pressure now to 928hPa

Persistent storm force winds hitting west coast.

13122406_2218.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

infairness i doubt it will be as much an inconvenience as it was for people over the weekend or last week in general when people would have been doing the bulk of there christmas shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The storm for Friday looks scary if it follows the predicted path, it would be a storm that would be talked about for years, looks very destructive.
    One would want to make sure they have their insurance paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

There is a 9 metre swell due to hit the south coast on Friday. This is unheard of in this part of the country, you might get it in the NW maybe once or twice a year at most. Thats nearly 30ft swell height, together with a high tide there is potential for extreme damage and erosion to coastal towns!!

• Advertisement

tbayers wrote: »
    There is a 9 metre swell due to hit the south coast on Friday. This is unheard of in this part of the country, you might get it in the NW maybe once or twice a year at most. Thats nearly 30ft swell height, together with a high tide there is potential for extreme damage and erosion to coastal towns!!

Even before that, looking at 13 metre waves possible off the southwest coast on Tuesday morning.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_48hrwind_wave.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement